Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Toyz

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
MTpitre
Name: Michael

Toyz

Post by MTpitre »

(Warning Wall of text incoming after Intro)

Introduction:

Hey there fellow Sandboxers, my name is Michael.

I am attempting to develop an RPG game named "Toyz "with the PAS game engine, I loved this engine ever since I tested a earlier version years back. Just wanted to get a second opinion on my WIP game design doc before I continue. I am still working out the kinks in the story but in do time :)

Not sure if you guys heard of these, but I am basing the game off of Walter Wick's ISPY book series. (Link to his website) http://www.walterwick.com/ispy_school_main2.htm I always said myself "Wouldn't that be cool if you can explore the pictures in the book" When I was a child.. Well that can come true with PAS. I love PAS's sandbox editing and also child friendly interface (It is good for a novice game designer so I can easily put a protoype easily.) I am also a graduate for digital design so the art centric part of the task (IE Models, Animated models ) Is not a problem for me.

Anywho here is the wall text for the game design document (WIP).

Ideas or critiques are quite welcomed. ;)

PS ( The game of course is kid friendly as the per content of the game)

Game Doc:

Title: Toyz
Game Platforms: PC/MAC/Linux
Game Genre: First Person RPG
Target Audiences: KA (Kids to Adults)

Game Description:

Toyz is a first person view role playing game featured in an "ISPY" book inspired world. The purpose of the game is to relive the great "Vermin Wars" within the toy and small critter world named Blokz. Your objective in the game is to collect as much information as possible for your school research paper.

"Battle System:"

In the doing so the game will feature a battle system in which the player button mashes various abilities while dodging enemy attacks. Your character uses Kinnah (IE spells) to help alleviate your battles and to make your allies stronger.

There might be a small dodging system in place but this is still in the air.

Movement:
The player can move using the "WASD" keys. The direction the player can move in is left,right,forward, and back. Spacebar is designated for jumping. There will also be an option to turn on and off running and walking (Player Preference.) Walking can be a great movement option when crossing a narrow bridge or rope. Running is good to charge into battle or get somewhere quicker.

Dialogue: Dialogue is initiated by pressing "E" on the keyboard. When E is pressed a 3d menu pops up with potential talking options for your character. Depending on what your character says to others can affect the outcome your adventure.

Longevity:
The player has a health and mana bar. (might add a endurance bar also for running) When the player gets hit, the red bar on the top left corner will deplete. (IE become empty) When the red bar depletes to nothing the player will be KOed. In doing so, the player will respawn at the last recovery point.

Mana is also similar to this, except that the mana bars goes down when you cast spells. When you run out of mana, you can't cast spells until you recover.

Both Health, Mana, (maybe Endurance) can slowly but surely recover to full health if the player doesn't take no action or move for a extended period of time. (There are of course exceptions with certain characters).

Character Progression:
Since the Sandbox engine can allow meshes up to three parts (Head, Torso, and Legs) to be loaded in the game, gear and equipment will follow the same format. Players can get gear to improve their characters alongside with skills, abilities, and spells. As the player completes tasks or defeats enemy, they can get stronger in terms of experience (Leveling up) AP points (Alternate Progression) Skills/Abilities, and spells. The players has the choice to earn experience points and alternate progression Points to spend on various statistics such as Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Wisdom, and Intelligence (The latter changes based on profession or class) attacks, new spells and many statistical elements.

The max level or power limit the player can reach is level 50. Once the player reaches this level Alternate Progression (AP points) experience becomes unlocked for the player so they can specialize within sub classes within their profession.

Commerce:
Trading,buying, and selling can be done with any character that is not hostile to the PC(Player Character). The monetary system for the game is "Koin." Player can get Koin from quest rewards, loot for defeated enemies, Trades, Selling, and of course from finding it.

Equipment: (Continued)
Equipment such as weapons, armor, and jewelry can be found, purchased, rewarded or made (Eventually) for the character. The PC has six armor slots that can place found or bought equipment on the character.
1. Head
2. Torso
3. Legs/Feet
4. L Finger
5. R Finger
6. Neck

Character Customization: The player can customize the look of their characters at character creation or during the game at a barber shop. Head, Torso, and Legs/feet can be customized with pre built models.

Classes/Professions:

1. Scout: Scout classes are lightweight but agile classes meant to spy on enemy strongholds or to add extra offense to a warband. Their lightweight demeanor allows them to sneak and also be resourceful when opposed with problems as broken bridges, unreachable objects, locked doors, or spying.

Sub Professions:

Nurf Lancer: (Nurf Lancers are masters at light ranged weapons and also stealth however their lightweight armor and also fragile existence makes them easy targets for the vermin Berseckers. This can be easily offset by accompanying a Nurf Lancer with a MuscleFlex (Melee Tank)

(To continued)

kid matthew
Developer
Developer
Name: Matthew
IRC Username: Kid_matthew

Re: Toyz

Post by kid matthew »

Sounds Really good, Can't Wait to see it.
Cheers
Matthew
Lost Lands Work In Progress <3 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2522 <3
MTpitre

Post by MTpitre »

Hehe thank you Mister Matthew, I always appreciate constructive comments from fellow sandboxers. :) Yeah I have been developing and changing this game idea for years, (5 to be exact) going to work on the kinks of the story real quick. The story is along the lines of a children's book narrative. (Another great childhood memory) In doings so I am going to make it in that context. :))
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

This sounds great, and I look forward to seeing progress, especially since you say you're able to get model's/animated model's done!

Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

this looks great, but just in case, here might be some cube 2/quadropolis links you might wanna follow (they're about game publishing)

http://quadropolis.us/node/2659
http://cube.wikispaces.com/Sharing+Content
http://cube.wikispaces.com/Modding+Guide

here's one for model importing if you need it:
http://sauerbraten.org/docs/models.html

I had one more, can't find it, it's on producing a game and the do's and don't dos of that, but oh well.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
MTpitre

Post by MTpitre »

Heya guys thank a lot for the help, been busy finishing the game design doc completely. I am happy to say, after much planning it is done. Added three class types and 9 sub classes. (Should be fun!) Now I am going to work on some art for the game to get up to par conceptually. Once again thanks for the support, I'll keep you updated :)
MTpitre

Post by MTpitre »

Heya guys! Sorry for long pause, I have been swamped with family stuff but now back on track and made a few models for your viewing pleasure.

:mrgreen: these were some characters I found on a toy google search. I threw around a few ideas for their function within the game. I made 3 of them in 3d and one was my original creation.
Attachments
ART.pdf
Patricia and a dog plushie I made and found online.
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
MTpitre

Post by MTpitre »

Here is another dog toy (Vintage toy search inspired me to make this)
Attachments
20DC68B2.jpg
Inspiration Toy picture
(11.64 KiB) Downloaded 1656 times
MTpitre

Post by MTpitre »

My 3d model of it.
Attachments
3d render
3d render
RonnieNeeley
Name: Ronnie Neeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

Can't really give any constructive criticism yet, but it seems solid so far. Keep it up! Especially since the ISPY books are a goldmine of map ideas.