Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Broken Shield

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
TheIntercooler
Name: Ed

Broken Shield

Post by TheIntercooler »

Theintercooler Games is proud to announce our next game called Broken Shield. The game is based in the middle ages will be an offline RPG as well has an option for online pvp. Pvp will be based on zones each having their own goals and objectives.

We will be adding many features from RR as well as some improvements from Red Eclipse.

We are working on a multiplayer aspect for the game as well. You will be able to quest and craft offline but you will have the option to enter "battlegrounds" with other players online.

The idea is offline play builds the story as well as gives people a chance to craft and hone their skills. When they visit a battle master they get transported to a zone or area of conflict and get to face other players for certain objectives.

The results will be saved, you can get exp as well as other items from online play that will then transfer over back to offline.

The engine is only a fraction underway with a lot more to go. We will be posting screen shots of our progression our coders are currently working on adjusting the HUD as well as some other features Ill keep you posted as changes are made.

Heres a link to our indiedb page http://www.indiedb.com/games/broken-shield

Ed
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: Broken Shield

Post by chocolatepie33 »

this looks quite interesting, I think I'll be following this ;)

anyways, your logo says "broken shield, CUBE ENGINE 2". Is that supposed to be Cube 2 Engine (which you later mention), or literally the second Cube engine (of which the same meaning can be found in Cube 2).

out of curiosity, what do you plan on bringing over from Red Eclipse? The sword fighting system, perhaps?

I love the offline story, online battle idea. It's like the level boss is just a mob of other players just like you. Maybe kind of like taking Dark Link (Legend of Zelda) up to the next level.

Good Luck. I want this.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
TheIntercooler

Post by TheIntercooler »

chocolatepie33 wrote:this looks quite interesting, I think I'll be following this ;)

anyways, your logo says "broken shield, CUBE ENGINE 2". Is that supposed to be Cube 2 Engine (which you later mention), or literally the second Cube engine (of which the same meaning can be found in Cube 2).

out of curiosity, what do you plan on bringing over from Red Eclipse? The sword fighting system, perhaps?

I love the offline story, online battle idea. It's like the level boss is just a mob of other players just like you. Maybe kind of like taking Dark Link (Legend of Zelda) up to the next level.

Good Luck. I want this.
It was supose to be the Cube 2 Engine, I just have to move it around.

From Red Eclipse We are planning on the impulse system, most of it but we are renaming it energy. We plan on having three classes, a warrior class, ranger, and magic user. So the impulse system will help the warriors charge and archer dash things like that.

I will looking into the sword fighting system I havent seen it yet. Right now our coders have alot of features to add to PAS as well as some new features like assit distruction.

Ed
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Ah, impulse. Good choice.

If you would like to know, RE has a "mutator", a restriction-style mode of gameplay called medieval, where all players spawn with swords. The sword system is the first primary example of hand-to-hand combat I've seen in a Cube 2 engine based game/mod. I think you can also punch and kick enemies.
Last edited by chocolatepie33 on May 31st, 2012, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save the wiki!
donnelly517
Name: Evan Donnelly

Post by donnelly517 »

This game sounds like something I'd play a LOT. And I think I just might need to check out Red Eclipse.
Helping to map Broken Shield and Revelade Revolution.
TheIntercooler

Post by TheIntercooler »

Heres a screenshot of what the new HUD lay out looks like (excuse the mspaint I havent gotten one in game yet lol.)

I plan on moving the quest, inventory and character menu to seprate windows. We are also working on making all Icons click able and removing the lock on the cursor.
Attachments
Hud Preview
Hud Preview
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

TheIntercooler wrote:(excuse the mspaint I havent gotten one in game yet lol.)
do you mean you haven't gotten a good icon in-game yet?
TheIntercooler wrote: I plan on moving the quest, inventory and character menu to seprate windows
Separate windows? So you'll have, like, quick-access taskbars on the sides or something?
TheIntercooler wrote: We are also working on making all Icons click able and removing the lock on the cursor.
So it's like an interactive HUD, eh? Cool. What lock are you talking about? The menu lock?
Save the wiki!
TheIntercooler

Post by TheIntercooler »

chocolatepie33 wrote:
TheIntercooler wrote:(excuse the mspaint I havent gotten one in game yet lol.)
do you mean you haven't gotten a good icon in-game yet?
What I ment was that the coder I have for the project is going to be setting up the hud the way I have it in the picture. He hasnt sent be back the game yet so I wanted to show you guys the layout and see what you thought.
chocolatepie33 wrote:
TheIntercooler wrote: I plan on moving the quest, inventory and character menu to seprate windows
Separate windows? So you'll have, like, quick-access taskbars on the sides or something?
Yeah, just like other rpg games, each will have its own window for example when you hit "Q" your quest log will open, when you hit "I" the inventory will open. Im working on a one for "C" having the character window open so people can put on different armor and weapons. (The gear on the model wont change, just the stats will.)
chocolatepie33 wrote:
TheIntercooler wrote: We are also working on making all Icons click able and removing the lock on the cursor.
So it's like an interactive HUD, eh? Cool. What lock are you talking about? The menu lock?
I mean I want the mouse cursor to be free range not locked to the center screen as it is now. In Eisenstern its unlocked and gives more of an rpg feel, so I'll get it opened and see how I like it.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

TheIntercooler wrote:What I ment was that the coder I have for the project is going to be setting up the hud the way I have it in the picture. He hasnt sent be back the game yet so I wanted to show you guys the layout and see what you thought.
Oh, I thought that was the actual HUD, not a future layout...
TheIntercooler wrote: Yeah, just like other rpg games, each will have its own window for example when you hit "Q" your quest log will open, when you hit "I" the inventory will open. Im working on a one for "C" having the character window open so people can put on different armor and weapons. (The gear on the model wont change, just the stats will.)
Cool.
TheIntercooler wrote: I mean I want the mouse cursor to be free range not locked to the center screen as it is now. In Eisenstern its unlocked and gives more of an rpg feel, so I'll get it opened and see how I like it.
Ah, I see. I believe jSoft (jSoftApps) had that working in that way in his engine. If it's still up, you may wish to look at it.
Save the wiki!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

As far as UI design goes, I would advise you to keep things together.
Ammo counts as well as your health and mana are critical things to know, and if you have to look around for them... not good..
The default HUD is in data/rpg/hud_standard.cfg, why not copy the file and make your own HUD based on that?

As for freeing the cursor, that should be a cinch, in sandbox 2.8.0, you can set freecursor to 2 to free the cursor.
The cursor will automatically be freed when a menu is opened when the setting is 1; otherwise the cursor will always be centred.
This feature is more for those who want to utilise a top-down perspective and make more tactical (and even turn based) RPGs
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless