Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

My Citadel 14 Game MAP!!!

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: My Citadel 14 Game MAP!!!

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kddekadenz wrote:
Xuz99 wrote: I see what you are saying but my biggest problem with Sandbox is the lack of tutorials I wouldn’t mind making this map in to a full game if I knew how and there’s not a lot of backing in the ways of tutorials here on the wiki or even YouTube.
I agree. I have the knowledge, but currently no free time to spend to create some, but later. The RPG I'm developing (check my signature) will open its code in December.
What tutorials are you specifically looking for? Using the editor, adding custom content, scripting, etc?
I'd also try to find tutorials for editing in Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse, which use the same engine. There should be many of those on Youtube.
kddekadenz wrote:Yes, Hirato simply could pick some CC0 models from blendswap and opengameart and add them to the game. I would spend a hour in this, too, if I would find a way to compile it. Or I simply could release a model pack. Hmm, good idea, isn't it?
As long as the models replace the ones we have and provide more variety in terms of theme and style, sure. And what do you mean by compile it?
kddekadenz wrote:You can add own tracks
To expand, you can add your own tracks (which should be in .ogg format, due to the .mp3 codecs being removed in 2.8) by adding them to mystuff/packages/music. or was the folder name /mymusic?
kddekadenz wrote:That's my biggest complain about PAS, the community is very small and there is only one person left who develops the code (correct me if I'm wrong).
Well, if you don't consider Mike a developer, then you're correct, as offtools has left and subsequently been downgraded to a regular member. Also, when the same engine has about 6 or 7 different offshoots, then it's going to have the smaller offshoots and the bigger and better ones.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

chocolatepie33 wrote:
kddekadenz wrote:You can add own tracks
To expand, you can add your own tracks (which should be in .ogg format, due to the .mp3 codecs being removed in 2.8) by adding them to mystuff/packages/music. or was the folder name /mymusic?
I can't remember, although I am leaning towards mymusic. Preferably you'd place it under PlatinumArtsSandbox/packages/music if you're releasing it as a game.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Xuz99
Name: Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

No, it is only free to use to make non-commercial games; they state it at their website
My bad, I didn’t look in to it :P. I thought because it was free that you could make a game from is free as well, but if you’re earning $60,000 in sales that’s pretty good that you could actually pay royalty’s, and I think you should after making that much money.
You can build a similar village in PAS
Yea you could remake the Buildings, Hills, Water, Boats etc. but I doubt Sandbox could actually remake the graphics or the particle system that UDK has.
You can add own tracks :P
Yea I know that as well, but when I was making my map properly going at it for 1 – 2 hours a pop I had my ITunes on in the background that was helping but I couldn’t take my ITunes library with me to college. Also I meant more in a general term for everybody to use, people who don’t have access to a large set of songs. I would say adding an extra 15 songs to Sandbox would be way better.
Yes, Hirato simply could pick some CC0 models from Blend-swap and opengameart and add them to the game. I would spend an hour in this, too, if I would find a way to compile it. Or I simply could release a model pack. Hmm, good idea, isn't it?
Yes, even if that meant having just 5 new chairs that where all the same, just different colors. it would be very good.
What tutorials are you specifically looking for? Using the editor, adding custom content, scripting, etc?
I'd also try to find tutorials for editing in Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse, which use the same engine. There should be many of those on Youtube.
To put it simple, everything, how to make elevators, how to get a transparent texture in, how to bring in the right scale models with textures, more support for multiplayer. You get the idea.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Xuz99 wrote:Yes, even if that meant having just 5 new chairs that where all the same, just different colors. it would be very good.
Actually, you can do that in-game, it just doesn't always look too pretty.
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

Xuz99 wrote: My bad, I didn’t look in to it :P. I thought because it was free that you could make a game from is free as well, but if you’re earning $60,000 in sales that’s pretty good that you could actually pay royalty’s, and I think you should after making that much money.
50.000$ are free, but if you realize a good idea in a good way, you may earn more.
Xuz99 wrote:I doubt Sandbox could actually remake the graphics or the particle system that UDK has.
Like I said, the shader will be a lot better with the upcoming release.
Xuz99 wrote: Yea I know that as well, but when I was making my map properly going at it for 1 – 2 hours a pop I had my ITunes on in the background that was helping but I couldn’t take my ITunes library with me to college. Also I meant more in a general term for everybody to use, people who don’t have access to a large set of songs. I would say adding an extra 15 songs to Sandbox would be way better.
I meant adding it to Sandbox yourself (quite simple -there is a tut in the wiki, I think), not having a additional program playing them. More music tracks would increase the filesize a lot.
Xuz99 wrote: To put it simple, everything, how to make elevators, how to get a transparent texture in, how to bring in the right scale models with textures, more support for multiplayer. You get the idea.
I think there exist a tut about elevators. Transparent textures will not work. Models can be scaled with mdlscale (in .cfg of model) and you can simply name the model tris and the texture skin and PAS will do the rest. There is a list of modelcommands and how to use em. PAS is more focused on singleplayer.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

I think there exist a tut about elevators.
If you’re talking about this one,(http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... /platforms) then yes I have seen it. However I tried to follow it to the letter, it was very hard to understand, and quite vague. In the end I just gave up on adding elevators to my and used stairs.
Transparent textures will not work.
*sad face* Why not? :( :( :(
Models can be scaled with mdlscale (in .cfg of model) and you can simply name the model tris and the texture skin and PAS will do the rest.
Yea I tired something similar a while back, but again due to lack of tutorials for Sandbox. It took a lot of searching the forums and looking at old web pages of information for it to work, and that still took me and a college lecturer about hour just to add one model to Sandbox. Trying to get the scale was a huge pain. Also I couldn’t get the texture to work, so I gave up adding textures to models.
There is a list of model commands and how to use em.
I think I know what you are talking about. If it’s this page (http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/platinu ... itref.html) it should really be on the main page of the website for people to find, because I had a hard time finding this page.
PAS is more focused on singleplayer.
I know that as well, but the wiki does have sections for multiplayer. Me and a friend where able to make a server and join, but we couldn’t save our work and if one person left, and then rejoined any edits done to the map since that person left, he/she could not see them on their screen.
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

Xuz99 wrote:
Due PAS can't handle transparency ;)
For textures it will add a black background and for models it will display pixels, which transparency is smaller then a max transparency you can set.
Xuz99 wrote:
I think I know what you are talking about. If it’s this page (http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/platinu ... itref.html) it should really be on the main page of the website for people to find, because I had a hard time finding this page.
No, I mean: http://sauerbraten.org/docs/models.html
Xuz99 wrote:
I know that as well, but the wiki does have sections for multiplayer. Me and a friend where able to make a server and join, but we couldn’t save our work and if one person left, and then rejoined any edits done to the map since that person left, he/she could not see them on their screen.
/sendmap to send the map to the server
/getmap to get the last sended version of the map
/savemap to save the map locally
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

kddekadenz wrote:
Xuz99 wrote:
Due PAS can't handle transparency ;)
For textures it will add a black background and for models it will display pixels, which transparency is smaller then a max transparency you can set.
Xuz99 wrote:
No, I mean: http://sauerbraten.org/docs/models.html
Xuz99 wrote:
/sendmap to send the map to the server
/getmap to get the last sended version of the map
/savemap to save the map locally
See all that needs to be placed in the wiki, or here on the site. I didn’t even think to look at different games built from the same engine.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Xuz99 wrote:
kddekadenz wrote:Transparent textures will not work.

*sad face* Why not?
Actually, there's a possibility that you could, depending on your needs. Check out either decals or blendpainting. There's no way to make a transparent texture without /valpha and the alpha material, but if you mean a transparent texture over another texture, then check this out

Xuz99 wrote:See all that needs to be placed in the wiki, or here on the site.
Noted.
Save the wiki!
Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

chocolatepie33 wrote:Check out either decals or blendpainting
I was looking in to that near the end of my 6 mouths build of my map, but my problem with that was the difficulty doing that technique,(again lack of tutorials). Also near the end I was starting to lose interest in Sandbox.
Xuz99 wrote:See all that needs to be placed in the wiki, or here on the site.
chocolatepie33 wrote:Noted.
Also the wiki needs to be more children friendly, and by that as well I mean more descriptive on how to do things, because I was having a hard time understanding a fair bit or parts of tutorials, and I was 17 when looking. So imagine a 10,11,12 year finding Sandbox and look for tutorials and trying to make heads or tails of it :P