Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

My development diary for Sandbox~

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My development diary for Sandbox~

Post by Mike »

Depending what you're talking about, there are blendmap brushes and heightmap brushes. Heightmap is more what you're interested in, if you hit H the cube turns green and you've entered heightmap. You can change the shape of the heightmap brush by holding B and scrolling the mousewheel. The cube won't change but the way the heightmap changes the geometry will . Take care.
-mike
PS I use heightmap briefly in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g44Ww2bg2_E
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Eagle
Name: Vickie Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is really good to know Mike thank you so much!!!

Always~
Vickie ;)
I put time in a bottle ... just saying :))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I'm still getting a bad case of the shinnies as you can see by looking at the roof tops. I must be doing it wrong, would someone mind setting up a .cfg file I can use as a base for all my other models.
This is what I have;
------------------------------------
model = tris.md2
texture = skin.jpg
mask = mask.jpg (and its red)
md2.cfg
-----------------------------------
The model loads fine and the skins look great but I just can't seem to shake the shininess of it.
Thanks for your help!

Always~
Vickie ;)
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

remember, the red bits of the mask are the specularity mask, the more red, the more shine..

also note the shine is increased dramatically when glare is enabled (not nearly as much as the glow though :P)
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well that explains a Lot! hahaha~ all this time I thought red was for things like wood and dull finishes.
Thanks Hirato~

Always~
Vickie ;)
Chaze007
Name: William
IRC Username: Chaze007

Post by Chaze007 »

Yep, but if you use models for simple things that the cube geometry, and a bit of unique texturing can do you probably take away from the lighting experience, not to admit map size, and the slowness of weak computers. if it was all one geometry level that might be different. I should try that one day..

What 3D - Design program do you use to make your 3D works?

Do you have any screenshots of your models? Do you even make models or use/buy them from others?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi Will~
Let me see if I can ansewer your questions.
What 3D - Design program do you use to make your 3D works?
I use TrueSpace 7.6, GameSpace and Milkshape.
Do you have any screenshots of your models? Do you even make models or use/buy them from others?
It depends on the project. On small projects like this one I'm making here I make all the items I need, but for large projects I recruit other talent to help me with the game graphics and models. I am always looking for those certain individuals that just stand out from the rest of the crowd. The funny thing is that most of them don't even know how good they are and spend their time hanging out on boards just like these. But back to your question, here is a portal I'm working on today to put into my Sandbox project.
Also a few months back I did a tutorial for DarkBasic (great bunch of guys btw) and they took some of my work and made this video out of it LOL!

"Vickie Eagle's Tutorial Low-poly game modeling in trueSpace, DarkBASIC Professional rendering, lightmapping and effects."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6WmOA6ERA

It’s pretty cool, but the tutorial is on modeling with TrueSpace 7.6 to make low poly models for games. You should have a look-see. So Will, when it comes to low poly modeling I guess you can say I wrote the book LOL!

Always~
Vickie ;)
PS: Will, did you even read my profile? (giggles)
Chaze007
Name: William
IRC Username: Chaze007

Post by Chaze007 »

I read some, but what I did read I probably forgot =p..I'm notorious for that. You're great at this! Nice portal, what's it made of?
Looks like some kind of tree vines, with a crystal sphere to me. hehe.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dec 20 2009, Day 6

Today I have started adding vegetation to the level to give it more life. I have also begun building the Air Ship that will be docked on the upper peer. I am going for a Final Fantasy look for the overall eye candy of this game. So far everything is coming along nicely. I am having some problem with changing the menu’s, as Will said, they are tile based and this really makes it hard to do any custom work to them. Hopefully this will change in the near future.
Here is today’s Screen shot;

Always~
Vickie ;)

PS: Will, you're such a flirt (giggles~) :P
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Luke
IRC Username: Gr1m

Post by GR1M »

Awesomeness! Looks like you’re becoming a pro I can see why... since you've had so much experience in game design I guess this kind of stuff comes naturally to you. Takes me a long time to do anything but I guess that’s a good thing for me so I can make everything perfect in the end. Any way good luck on your project I really enjoy looking at your development diary every day.

P.S. I'm also trying to learn how to make models maybe you can give me some tips?

"That muffin guy"
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo