Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

2.8 missing textures

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
justicemaliai

2.8 missing textures

Post by justicemaliai »

I would like some install help if anyone's willing, Basically, I downloaded both of the 2.8 zip folders, the binary and content folders, and put them in one folder on my hard drive, named platinumartssandbox2.8. I then extracted both of them into seperate folders, binary into one, content into another, so i had a binary and content folder inside platinumartssandbox2.8. I tried running the launcher this way, and it didn't work. So, I then took the files out of the binary folder and placed them into the content folder thinking that would work, and it didn't. The program will start, it will run fine, but I can not load any of the textures except the grass. So my question is, what folders/files have been put in the wrong place, and where do I put them? Thank you in advance for the help.
Justice Maliai
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: 2.8 missing textures

Post by chocolatepie33 »

If I understand you, then I think you have your folders like this:

platinumartssandbox2.8/binary/bin
platinumartssandbox2.8/binary/data
platinumartssandbox2.8/binary/src
platinumartssandbox2.8/content/packages
platinumartssandbox2.8/content/my_stuff

all you need to do is take the folders within "binary" and "content" and place them into the main 2.8 folder. When you do that, your directory should look like this:

platinumartssandbox2.8/bin
platinumartssandbox2.8/data
platinumartssandbox2.8/my_stuff
platinumartssandbox2.8/packages
platinumartssandbox2.8/src

within the main folder there should be all the .bats and the launcher. the true .exes for each mode should be within /bin along with all the dlls.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
justicemaliai

Post by justicemaliai »

Ok, so I got the textures working, so now I have a new question. Where did the "new map" button go? I know how to create a new map in the console, but the fact that the button is missing is, frankly, driving me up a wall...
Justice Maliai
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

E or F1 will bring up the editmode menu which will have newmap and savemap options.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
justicemaliai

Post by justicemaliai »

Then I guess something must be wrong with my version of 2.8, because, 1, there's no new map or save map option when I hit either f1 or esc. (I attached a screenshot to show you what my menu looks like). Second, I don't know if it's something with the settings or what, but lighting does not work, at all. I've messed with every option under the lighting and video tabs and nothing fixes it. Any advice would be great, I'm really excited about 2.8, but so far it just seems broken to me, but I think it's something I'm doing wrong or something... Thanks again!
Attachments
screenshot_190084.png
Justice Maliai
justicemaliai

Post by justicemaliai »

ok, got the lighting to work, just did a full reinstall, but still no menu buttons to save and load, and I know how to do that through the console, so not a big deal, but my OCD demands a save and load button... XD
Justice Maliai
northstar
Name: steven

Post by northstar »

i just downloaded 2.8 binaries and um, yeah... where is 'new map'... i havent had time to explore the new setup yet, but i'm just mapmaking at the moment so RPG just says 'no game in progress', and i can open my old maps thru fps... but... where is 'new map'...
northstar

Post by northstar »

ok, i can get a new map by using the ~ tilde above the tab, and type newmap (enter)... but it comes out in the default size 10... and i remember reading somewhere how to double the size, but 20 is a bit large... how would i set the size in the tilde...
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

use /newmap ##, where ## is mapsize.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
northstar

Post by northstar »

ahh, so simple... cant wait till i get to scripting and game making... but, i reloaded to only free mdls and streamlined my textures sooooo... a lot of trees need to be made and such as well as all my textures moved, so i have to retexture the whole thing... it was interesting to see the textures in new places, and some i liked better, even tho they made no sense in the real world... fascinating how quickly my texture pack has grown to about 100 tex's, since i'm not using the PAS textures either... thanx CP...