Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

How to start a new blank project?

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
chaozz

How to start a new blank project?

Post by chaozz »

Hi,

I have been watching all video tutorials and all and I can't wait to get started, but I downloaded 2.8 and see that I can not actually start working on a game, but need to load an already crafted level in an already set game mode.

How do I start from scratch?? Like in the video tutorial when he sets the map size and all?
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: How to start a new blank project?

Post by kddekadenz »

Do you mean FPS or RPG mode?

FPS mode:
switch to edit mode (E), press T and type /newmap <mapsize>

RPG mode:
browse to /data/rpg/games and create a new folder and .cfg for your map.
You can simply copy the the default module or start completely from scratch.

To create new maps, switch ingame to edit mode (F1), press T and type /newmap <mapsize> (similar to FPS mode)
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chaozz

Post by chaozz »

Thanks for the /newmap command. Why isn't that documented anywhere?

What is the difference? Why is there a difference. I want to make something like WarZ / DayZ. Not nearly as professional, but just my own zombie survival game. It's a bit of both, more an FPS I guess.

I wish the wiki was more complete on how to start, develop and eventually spread a game.
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

I think it is documented.

FPS mode is very basic and only useful to make team-based FPS games.

If you planning making a zombie survival game, I would suggest to use RPG mode. In fact I did such a template, gonna improve it a bit and upload ;)
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chaozz

Post by chaozz »

I am a programmer, but lately more focussed on PHP (www.hackerforever.com is my current game). Where do I start working on a template for such a game? I have so many questions. Just point me in the right direction!! :)
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

I'm in the same boat as chaozz. I just installed Sandbox and expected it have an editor where we can start from scratch, place objects and assign code.

I was confused that I first have to choose a game mode first and then use the console with cryptic commands to achieve everything (and next to that listen to the annoying music playing). And this software is even called kids-friendly? It's not. I hope all this will be changed in future versions. I wish for something like a windowed editor with icons to load and place objects, a text editor to write code/scripts and a "save as executable" menu option to distribute our games.