Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Changing controls and characters, replacing overwritten maps

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
DreamBliss
Name: DreamBliss

Changing controls and characters, replacing overwritten maps

Post by DreamBliss »

OK so I started to use Sandbox today. Yes I read your FAQ. Yes I searched the forums. Even browsed the first two pages here. Been messing with this for 2 hours and not getting anywhere.

I'm using the newest build of Sandbox on a very old laptop. System specs aren't needed here anyway.

#1. How to I change the controls for the Middle Mouse Button and Scroll wheel? In the FAQ it says this can be done through the Options menu, but this, as far as I can tell, is not true. It was also mentioned that I could alter the default config file. Well that's not working either. I would like to use [ ] \ for Mouse Wheel Up (I believe this is called MOUSE4), Mouse Wheel Down (MOUSE 5) and Middle Mouse Button or Mouse Wheel Button (MOUSE3), respectively. Alternatively I can try R T and F, since this puts these next to G which you use the MMB with. How exactly do I do this? I replaced the entries in default.cfg and nothing works :(

#2. For my first map I want to play with the grid sizes. So I need to fix problem #1 obviously before I can proceed. In this I will use different grid sizes with the character, and in comparison, exporting the blocks to Wings 3D and Hexagon. I want to configure both modelers so their units match Sandbox's, and I want to determine the grid size units that stack up to 5 or 6 for player height. Also going to figure out stair height. May make a video tutorial on this. But the problem is when I press E to enter Edit Mode I get a flying superhereo character. Which is cool, certainly, but I need a character standing on the ground. So how to I switch characters?

#3. Finally for my last issue I overwrote somehow the original village map. Do I have to re-install to restore this? I typed in the name in the Save Map As dialogue and everything. But it still messed it up :( I went in from loading the Village map then pressing E. Is there perhaps a different or better way to just enter the Edit Mode with a new blank map?

Hey thanks for your help! Sandbox is looking really cool and I think you guys have done an awesome job! I will be a good boy and search some more for answers. But tonight I hear my bed calling and I can barely focus so I think its time for sleep.
- DreamBliss
State what you want for your reality,
But let the universe fill in the details.

My Forums
http://spiritualexplorers.zymichost.com/index.php
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Changing controls and characters, replacing overwritten

Post by arcones »

1. If it's not working then I would say that there is something wrong with the code that you wrote. Unfortunately, I can't really help with that myself :\

2. Just place a mapmodel of the character down or alternatively just use 3rd person mode, create the height and measure it against your current character in play mode. Alternatively you could press 9 I believe and the character will change.

3. You don't have to reinstall if you want the village map. I'm sure someone could just zip the file and send it to you. As for the rest of it, I'm not entirely sure. I've never had problems myself :P
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

Just completely ignore arcones' response,

1) The option hasn't yet been readded with the shift to the new UI system, you should consider buying a mouse with a wheel. Anyways, if you're on windows, copy these two lines in game and run then (T + ctrl-v), or elsewhere, put them in a file named foo.cfg and run that (exec foo.cfg).

Code: Select all

/bind PAGE_UP [universaldelta 1]
/bind PAGE_DN [universaldelta -1]
2. Do you see the grid markers in blender? Those correspond exactly to a size 0 cube.
If you get the scaling wrong, you can always set up a model configuration file and use mdlscale to adjust it.
As arcones said, pressing 9/0 will change your model in the FPS module.

3. Delete your user copy in my_stuff/packages/base/*/, or if you're on Linux, your copy in ~/.platinumarts/packages/base/*/
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
DreamBliss

Post by DreamBliss »

Hey thanks both of your for your quick replies!

OK, so I made a file named controls.cfg and pasted in the two lines. Started Sandbox, entered console, typed exec packages/dreambliss/controls.cfg. Got a message that said, "Unknown command /bind." Running the command from the prompt in-game gives me, "Unknown key PAGE_UP." Am I doing something wrong?

I'd like to have the Mouse Wheel and MMB all next to each other. If I use PageUP and PageDown that only leaves Home, End, Delete on my keyboard. There is the \ nearby and Backspace. Can I bind MMB to \?

For some reason pressing 0 does not change the character for me. In Game Mode my character arms a weapon or changes a weapon. In Edit Mode 0 does nothing. 9 goes from 1st to 3rd person views. So what do I need to do so I can change my character, or is this not implemented yet?

I just re-extracted everything so it's all back to default now. Where are the paths configuration located? I mean is there a way to set the paths for things so Sandbox can find them? I created a dreambliss folder in the packages directory for my stuff for now.

I did figure out how to start a new project! Enter the Game using that CLICK_ME_TO_START.bat and press F1 after everything loads up. You can then click on Edit and start a new map. No more overwriting stuff! I also figured out how to use the /gridpower console setting. So if player model changing is working, fixing that will have me all ready to rock!

Not using Blender. My workflow will be Wings 3D or Hexagon to Sandbox and visa-versa, Hopefully I can make some video tutorials for folks.

OK, thanks again! I appreciate your help!
- DreamBliss

My Forums
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

I probably should've mentioned that you had to remove the / from /bind...
I'm not sure what the key's called, PG_UP, PAGE_UP, PGUP, PAGEUP, the first two at the most likely candidates.

If you want to bind keys to BACKSLASH and other buttons, go right ahead, but even mice without a wheel can simulate middle clicks by having both left and right pressed simultaneously.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
DreamBliss

Post by DreamBliss »

Yeah I figured most of it out today. Placed commands in an autoexec.cfg. Only issue left is changing the character.

The keys are PAGEUP and PAGEDOWN.

Hey thanks for all your help man!
- DreamBliss

My Forums