Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Some questions about P.A.S. progress

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
esequiel14

Some questions about P.A.S. progress

Post by esequiel14 »

Its been over a year since the last time I use PAS I stop using it because I felt like all I was going to be able to do with this software was maps and only that. Making videogames with this program was very dificult and with very few tutorials on scripts so I decided to wait till they make it easier to make your own videogame with this program maybe an ingame menu with premadre scripts.

So I want to ask some questions before I start using PAS again.

1. What improvements have been made to the game since 2011 to make it easier for players with no experience in scripting to make their own videogames?

2. Has PAS stop removing textures, Sky boxes and mapmodels from its files? Its was very anoying having to retexture all your maps after every update because they remove textures due to licenses. Are the textures and mapmodels that are now in PAS are permanent without risk of being remove next update?

3. Is the PAS vehicle simulator still under development or has the project been abandoned? What about the flight simulator? and movie maker?

4. I see that water gun has been added to PAS. Does PAS has now a server like sauerbraten that you dont have to type /connect (ip) just click a server from a list and start playing game modes just like sauerbrate? If not does PAS plan to launch a server so players can play water wars or build maps in coopedit without having to type ips?
check out my video tutorials and sandbox coolest maps in http://www.youtube.com/user/Esequiel14
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: Some questions about P.A.S. progress

Post by chocolatepie33 »

esequiel14 wrote:What improvements have been made to the game since 2011 to make it easier for players with no experience in scripting to make their own videogames?
Not that many as far as I know. The RPG module was overhauled, so scripting is easier there, but we don't have premade scripts or anything yet. additionally, fps scripting may have disappeared with the integration of water wars; I haven't checked and don't quite know.
esequiel14 wrote:2. Has PAS stop removing textures, Sky boxes and mapmodels from its files? Its was very anoying having to retexture all your maps after every update because they remove textures due to licenses. Are the textures and mapmodels that are now in PAS are permanent without risk of being remove next update?
I believe that most of the textures are okay to use, but as for mapmodels, nearly all of them can't be used commercially.
esequiel14 wrote:3. Is the PAS vehicle simulator still under development or has the project been abandoned? What about the flight simulator? and movie maker?
AFAIK, they have all been abandoned.
esequiel14 wrote:4. I see that water gun has been added to PAS. Does PAS has now a server like sauerbraten that you dont have to type /connect (ip) just click a server from a list and start playing game modes just like sauerbrate? If not does PAS plan to launch a server so players can play water wars or build maps in coopedit without having to type ips?
There should be a master server, although I seriously question how many players you could find on it.

In general I feel that Sandbox is going into quite the decline, as many of our old members have become caught up in real life situations or prefer not to be on the forums. Additionally, most of the development is focused on RPG mode now. There's a lot that could be done, but Mike has his own agenda (for Hirato) to follow, and there's nowhere near enough active members to contribute properly as we once could.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

chocolatepie33 wrote:[...]and there's nowhere near enough active members to contribute properly as we once could.
We need to support people contributing code pieces on github: https://github.com/Hirato/lamiae
I think we can interest people e.g. out of the Linux Open Source community.
Also I will encourage any programmer in the team of Kelgar to do for us useful code contributions to Lamiae.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
esequiel14

Post by esequiel14 »

Tnx for awnsering Choclatepie33 I see that its almost the same since 2011 Its a shame that the PAS vehicle simulator was abadoned I was hoping for some online multiplayer races as a game mode with players creating and sharing their own racetrack maps. They should merge RPG mode, single player mode and vehicle simulator into a single one I always had trouble deciding in which mode should i build my game since each mode had their unique features that I wanted to use in my game. It will be very helpful if in future releases they add game building options/menues ingame and not having to edit the script files manually. I hope that in the future this program can be simplefied enough so that even a kid can create their own videogame
check out my video tutorials and sandbox coolest maps in http://www.youtube.com/user/Esequiel14
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kddekadenz wrote:I think we can interest people e.g. out of the Linux Open Source community.
As much as that's a nice idea, I think most people wishing to work with a Cube 2 flavor would go with Red Eclipse or Sauerbraten first.
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

chocolatepie33 wrote:
kddekadenz wrote:I think we can interest people e.g. out of the Linux Open Source community.
As much as that's a nice idea, I think most people wishing to work with a Cube 2 flavor would go with Red Eclipse or Sauerbraten first.
Our biggest arguement is that we have an advanced RPG mode :D
A lot of people dream of making their own RPG. Most fail, though, since a RPG normally requires a lot of work.
Hm, hasn't really to do with the topic, but one could implement "random" NPC. PAS allows you to assign random stats to them. Also you could create a script assigning a random name :)
I may do this later, since I'm really interested in procedurally-generated content.
Oh, here is a list of generators by the way, which may help someone who creates a RPG: http://kelgardev.forumieren.org/h2-tools
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kddekadenz wrote:Most fail, though, since a RPG normally requires a lot of work.
That, and the fact that the RPG mode right now is considerably unstable and always changing won't bring us any traffic soon.
kddekadenz wrote:Hm, hasn't really to do with the topic, but one could implement "random" NPC. PAS allows you to assign random stats to them. Also you could create a script assigning a random name
I may do this later, since I'm really interested in procedurally-generated content.
That would speed up the process, although I believe that of all things, it's scripting that most people will get stuck on. How many questions have you and other users had about scripting?
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

chocolatepie33 wrote:
kddekadenz wrote:Hm, hasn't really to do with the topic, but one could implement "random" NPC. PAS allows you to assign random stats to them. Also you could create a script assigning a random name
That would speed up the process, although I believe that of all things, it's scripting that most people will get stuck on. How many questions have you and other users had about scripting?
A lot. That's not a fault of the language, but the lack of documentation. Remember I wrote a program to get most of the commands out of the sourcecode, because there was nowhere a list? I can partly understand Hirato there. Like you mentioned, a lot of things are changing, so he would need to change the documention a lot.
Still, how should we encourage anyone using the RPG module without a proper documentation?

By the way, here is my collection of free content generators: http://kelgardev.forumieren.org/h2-tools

Also, one could create an effect library and script a spell generator :mrgreen:
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kddekadenz wrote: A lot. That's not a fault of the language, but the lack of documentation. Remember I wrote a program to get most of the commands out of the sourcecode, because there was nowhere a list? I can partly understand Hirato there. Like you mentioned, a lot of things are changing, so he would need to change the documention a lot.
Still, how should we encourage anyone using the RPG module without a proper documentation?

By the way, here is my collection of free content generators: http://kelgardev.forumieren.org/h2-tools
Basically, we can't attempt to promote Sandbox's RPG mode until it's completely finished and documentation is fully covered and understandable. Which really sucks, because we would probably need people to playtest new features and the like. Also, you already mentioned your generators.
Save the wiki!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

I've been pretty open about it.
The RPG is still an Alpha, although it's getting close to Beta.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless