Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Problem with models ilumination after a wrong edit action

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Neofito
Name: Neofito

Problem with models ilumination after a wrong edit action

Post by Neofito »

I'm pretty sure that I pressed a comand key/keys by accident while in edit-mode, I didn't notice anything and I saved my map; but now I've noticed that all models look grey/black without colour or ilumination.
Set fullbright to 1 solved it, but then I noticed that with this option all my blendmaps were messed; I've also removed the most recent .back files for my map, but the models are still black/colourless; and haven't been able to find any information about this.
So please, tell me what is the comand I have to use to give again light/color to my models.
Thanks in advance
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Problem with models ilumination after a wrong edit actio

Post by Hirato »

recalculate the lightmaps? models take their light info from the local area.
also make sure they're not inside geometry, that's usually a common cause of unlit models.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Hirato wrote:recalculate the lightmaps? models take their light info from the local area.
also make sure they're not inside geometry, that's usually a common cause of unlit models.
You mean the calclight comand?, I've gone with it and it improves a bit the models ilumination/color, but the improve is very poor; by other hand i didn't use this comand at any time, I suppose that the problem comes by an unnoticed use of a hot key.
Since set fullbright to 1 works with the models light/color and thoug this means that my blendmaps are messed i decided use it and do again the blendmaps, but didn't work since when I load again the map the fullbright feature seems no has been saved and the models looks again dark.

It begins to be frustrating :cry: , since all my work is gone, and I don't find any way to revert the changes (and I'm sure that I didn't go with any lighting option, since I was working with textures with 2 layers and the paintblendmode).
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Well, add the fullbright 1 option into the art.cfg of my map worked, and the models appear with right colours and lights, though the blendmaps stil don't work.

I've gone with a test map, and I've found what happened, seems that I pressed the L key when I was into blendpaintmode (value 2), hence it has been easy find what i did wrong, but I haven't been able to find how to solve it, any help would be apreciated; maybe a command to go back with the default settings??

Thanks in advance
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Just found how to recover the "back" files, i wasn't doing it in the right way, but this post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4174 has opened my eyes :shock: ;)

Thanks chocolatepie33 for the answer, and Ghostman Gaming for the question ;)
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Well now I really need help, since I've found that the problem with blendmaps and models light/colour isn't due to something I did wrong with my map, it happens even in new maps; therefore I suppose that I'm doing something wrong.
This what I do, please tell me what I'm doing wrong, here is an example from a "test map"

1º I add a new texture in the art.cfg file

Code: Select all

setshader stdworld
texture 0 "aard\aardograss_1.jpg" // 674
texlayer 48
autograss "<ffskip><premul>packages/textures/grass_kurt2.png"
I use the texture for all the map and add some models

2º I enter the comand blendpaintmode 2 and paint some blendmaps, and this Is what I get

I get the same out of edit mode

3º I go back to edit mode and save my map

4º When I load again my map the blendmaps are there but the models don't have light/colour

game mode without light/colour in models

edit mode without light/colour in models

5º At this point if I go into edit mode and press the "L" key the models recover light and colour, but the blendmaps are gone

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Well, I've found a solution.
If I add the property

Code: Select all

mdlfullbright 1
in the .cfg file of the models, the models are displayed with right colour/light and the blendmaps are displayed; I've only added the property in the .cfg file of the horese for this example

But.......
1º I guess that this isn't the right way to solve the problem, since this means modify the models properties (even the ones provided by default with PAS).
2º This means add by hand the code into the .cfg files of ALL the models (Is there a global comand that can be added in the art.cfg file of the map in order to turn on this feature in all the models used in the map?)

I'll wait for a few days, and if no new idea/solution is posted I guess that I'll go with the solution that I've found.

Thanks in advance.
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Nobody has any idea what could be the problem and its solution? :( :roll: :?: :(
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Firstly, you've just violated a pretty basic rule several times... Unless they've been updated since I was last here. If they're still the same, you may realize that you've double-posted multiple times... There is an "Edit Post" option for a reason...

Secondly, Have you maybe tried looking for a [mapname].cfg within the save destination folder? If it exists, and you haven't created it/modified it... Delete it, likewise with the [mapname]-art.cfg... Or, open [mapname]-art.cfg and have a look for a line that involves "mdlfullbright"... If you find it, remove it and reload the map. This may repair the problem. If not, delete your "defaults.cfg" file located in the "mystuff/[modename]/data" folder...

Just a note, you may need to take your time and browse for the files I mentioned as I've just returned to Sandbox after about a year, and I don't remember a great deal.
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Thanks for your answer Leo_V117
I've looked into the files you mention, and have gone with different setting of mdlfullbright and fullbright, but I wasn't able to fix the problem.
The next step was uninstall and reinstall and go with a totally new map, but I kept getting the same error; therefore I'm at the same point :?

And about double-post, I'v always understood how post different topics in different boards with the same question; what I've done is add new posts updating information but always into the same topic.
I haven't used the edit option, since it wasn't just add something forgotten in the post just made, I was adding new information about the topic after a few days; and I think that the only way to show out to the forums users that there is something new about the topic is create a new post, because edit an existing post wouldn't show that new information has been added.

But if it is against the forums rules, I only can say that I'm sorry, since in wasn't intended.