Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Edit player sliding/physics/gravity

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
wishfulscientist

Edit player sliding/physics/gravity

Post by wishfulscientist »

Hi all,

Is there a simple or easily understandable way to modify the physics of movement and sliding in platinum arts?

My issue is that if the player ceases inputting a movement command (lets say 'w', or in my case, mouse movement in the +Y axis because mouselook = 0 in my game) the player will still move for a bit and then decelerate. When ceasing 'w' the effect is less pronounced but I'm sure you're all familiar with sliding like that. It's really exaggerated when you use mouselook = 0, and the player will still move several (upwards of 30 of the smallest editable units) when the mouse is stopped and even lifted up to totally eliminate coordinate displacement detection. As an aside, why would using the mouse make it more exaggerated?

At any rate, the problem is sliding. The solution is, I would think, to change how movement is performed via physics or gravity to reduce or eliminate sliding. Is this possible? I've tried changing the gravity from the default of 200 to 1000 but that doesn't alter sliding (you'd think it would).
Rotark
Name: ty

Re: Edit player sliding/physics/gravity

Post by Rotark »

I do not really know but try
/gravity####
/jumpvel####
/movespeed####
/floatspeed####
????
hopefully that will help
wishfulscientist

Re: Edit player sliding/physics/gravity

Post by wishfulscientist »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it out some time, but I found that I don't need this anymore because the maximum velocity the player achieves most often doesn't pass the threshold required for sliding.