Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Is there any extensive beginner tutorial?

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Odazland
Name: Dino

Is there any extensive beginner tutorial?

Post by Odazland »

Hey guys

I've downloaded Sanbox two days ago and i didnt get far.
It doesnt happen very often that i get frustrated with such things because i'm used to a long learning curve but this software is making me crazy!

After watching so many videos i still dont know how to do some very basic things like moving blocks.

Other things i still dont know:

extended "marking" functions (example: if i have selected 5 blocks in a row, how can i add the row UNDER the selected one and add it to the selection)
Coding (i saw many codes but i didnt find ONE(!) tutorial that introduces you "softly" to the coding in Sandbox)
Texturing (i know how to pick textures but how can i add new textures, how do i paint, how do i blend 2 or 3 textures and so on...)

I feel like i have missed something or skipped one or two steps befor getting Sandbox.

Is there any tutorial beside the sandbox wiki?

Thanks
Dino
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: Is there any extensive beginner tutorial?

Post by kddekadenz »

I'm feeling too lazy too explain that again. That are some common question you asked (and I now the answer for them), being asked again and again..
Yeah, the documentation does suck..
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Ghostman Gaming
Name: Tyler Mangino
IRC Username: ghostman1996

Re: Is there any extensive beginner tutorial?

Post by Ghostman Gaming »

I can answer some of your questions.
extended "marking" functions (example: if i have selected 5 blocks in a row, how can i add the row UNDER the selected one and add it to the selection)
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking can you give a better explanation?
Coding (i saw many codes but i didnt find ONE(!) tutorial that introduces you "softly" to the coding in Sandbox)
There is a RPG tutorial http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... ial#Part_5 but its outdated! your best bet to learn RPG coding is to do it how i learned it. Go into the rpg folder and read the .CFG files in there thats how i learned it. Yes its a pain but its worth it! :)
F:\PlatinumArtsSandbox2.8.2SchoolEdition\data\rpg\games\base
If you go to the base file in the rpg folder you will find read me files that explain the functions of different code it helped me!
Texturing (i know how to pick textures but how can i add new textures, how do i paint, how do i blend 2 or 3 textures and so on...)
Adding textures is not my strong spot right now i am still trying to fully figure it out, but i can partly tell you how its done.

Go to F:\PlatinumArtsSandbox2.8.2SchoolEdition\packages and select a folder or make your own.
if you select a folder with all textures in it, its a little easier. In the folder you will add your wanted textures. Then open the .cfg entitled Packages it will look similar to this

Code: Select all

// aard

setshader stdworld

texture 0 "aard/aardfdry256_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardfflrbr256_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardfflrbr256_2.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardfflrwv32_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardfstone256_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmbr16_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmbr16_2.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmbr32_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmbr64_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmmet32_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmtile64_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardmwall32.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardobr_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardodecor_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardoflrcr32_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardograss_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardorim64_1.jpg"
texture 0 "aard/aardoweird_1.jpg"

autograss "textures/grass_kurt2.png"

autograss "textures/greengrass.png"
next just type in the name and file type of the wanted textures for example:

Code: Select all

texture 0 "aard/ghostmangaming.jpg"
The the pic will show up in sandbox unfortunately not in old maps only in new maps I'm not sure how to get them on old maps yet.