Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

MD3 Animation Problem! Pls help! :(

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Defunctul
Name: Nick

MD3 Animation Problem! Pls help! :(

Post by Defunctul »

I am having an issue with MD3 models, as they don't play the animation at all.
I am using models made with Blender, and they work perfectly fine in Sandbox if I export them as static models.
However, when I export them with the armature and animation they still appear as static in Sandbox.
The cfg. file is fine, but for example when I add the model in Sandbox (model that has 70 animation frames) I get this error in console saying: '' Invalid frame 1 range 70''.
I am not a real expert in these things so I am not sure where to start looking for the problem, but I really really could use the help because if i get it right then I can start working on my game. If not, my project is all wasted :(
Thank you in advance!

P.S. Does it have to do with tags or splitting the mesh in different parts? Because I haven't done that
Defunctul

Re: MD3 Animation Problem! Pls help! :( *updated*

Post by Defunctul »

Ok I managed to get the animation to work eventually. However I still have 2 issues:
- Why doesn't Sandbox play my attack animation? The rest of the animation works perfectly but for some reason attack is not recognized. Is it perhaps disabled from somewhere?
- When I try to play with my character model, I get a weird camera angle from beneath it's feet, and the model is half buried into the ground. Does it have to do with the position it has when i export it from blender? If so, where is the best location?

I know these forums are quite dead, but if someone can answer my questions I would really really appreciate it!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: MD3 Animation Problem! Pls help! :(

Post by Hirato »

you should consider using iqm or a newer format.

First things first, the first frame is `frame 0` therefore a range of 70 frames goes from 0 to 69. The modelling application should reflect this too.
There are is no "attack" animations, some of the example modules, like the FPS uses `shoot` and similar and the RPG uses `melee strike`, `range strike` and similar.
When I try to play with my character model, I get a weird camera angle from beneath it's feet, and the model is half buried into the ground. Does it have to do with the position it has when i export it from blender? If so, where is the best location?
Feet on the origin point. I'd say.
You can rotate/translate it easily enough in the model cfg with mdltrans, mdlyaw, mdlpitch, and mdlroll.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Defunctul

Re: MD3 Animation Problem! Pls help! :(

Post by Defunctul »

Thank you so much Hirato! I worked a little with those commands and I got the model working just right! :)