Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker 2.7 Feedback Forum

The news hub -- read this stuff first!

Board Rules <-- Please read before posting.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker 2.7 Feedback Forum

Post by Mike »

Post all your feedback on the 2.7 release here :D

Changelog:
Art
* philipk texture sets
* new RPG HUD theme and icons

FPS
* optional doom style mousemove (/mouselook 0)

RPG
* removed script slots and replaced with a signal based approach to scripting
for example r_script_collide is now r_script_signal collide; note it is case sensitive like everything else.
* named lookup script subsystem, has its own stack and tracks things independently of CubeScript.
* Modified folder hierarchy, uses a more classical and less confusing approach to identifying unique artefacts. This has the added bonus of making patches simple and painless. Unfortunately finding the one you want is now a chore
* rewrote projectile system
P_PERSIST, allows projectiles to pierce multiple targets and bounce of them instead if P_RICOCHET is present
projectiles with timers without P_VOLATILE will act as timed bombs when a surface is hit.
* commands to select and modify definitions and many aspects of entities and an accompanying menu.
* DISPEL status effect
* basic skills, stats, examine and recipe menus.
* experimental waypoint dropping mode taht links to all nearby waypoints, rather than mapping the player's movement. This has the disadvantage of not mapping collisions accurately. ( /experimentalwaypoint )
* a few basic AI directives
* AI routes are now stored in reverse order, this is faster and allows us to easily and quickly do minor alterations (eg, dodging).
* rewrote savegame system, writes to a temporary file (just in case) and no longer saves RPG definitions (eg, item properties)
* introduction of game properties (ie, the initial map to spawn the player on)
* functional recipes
* map flags, several flags were added that are perfect for dungeon levels
* chargeflags, controls which facets of an attack can be charged
* rewrote particle effects to not encompass 3 stages, each required stage now points to a separate effect.
* reduced particle spam
* pause the game whilst in editmode.
* reintroduction of CRITTER, ITEM, OBSTACLE, CONTAINER, PLATFORM and TRIGGER entities to complement the SPAWN entity.
* assorted fixes and balancing of defaults
* attachments
you can attach particles to tag_partstart and tar_partend as well, there are currently a few bugs whilst dual wielding
* r_rehash command to reload RPG definitions; save your map and game before using this
* allowed the HUd to be redefined via script
* rewrote cutscene subsystem, interpolation gradients can now be defined with ease, and this includes improved support for on screen items, such as images.
* functioning platforms - note that there are some quirks and limitations right now

Upstream
* Windows: the dedicated server will now create an icon in the systray
* -g flag for specifying output file (not supported in our Linux script, use './sandbox_unix -my -args > file' instead)
* the server will load entities directly from the map when possible
* pre-multiplied alpha support, (plus DXT2 and DXT4 support)
* support for tag transformations on skeletal model bones
* simplified IK for pitch animation
* sunlight ( /sunlight* series of vars)
* the server can now read entities directly from maps
* proper multiline support for gamehud and edithud alises
* movie recorder now uses OpenDML/AVI 2.0, this means recordings are now taken as a single contiguous unit
* improved model lighting that preserves contrast on the unlit side
* improved lightmap packing when a cube's face consists of more than one plane.
* many assorted bug fixes

Update Notes
The RPG has changed a lot, and is more or less fully incompatible with 2.6.1 and earlier. In addition the RPG may now be considered to be an Alpha, as opposed to a Pre-Alpha/Tech Demo. There is a "base" game included with the RPG, please use this to derive your own.
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Re: Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker 2.7 Feedback Fo

Post by cork279 »

None of the games work for me in RPG mode (Chef Ogro, Rose Child of the Storm, etc) :?

Anyway, so far, it's looking good :)
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
ticker
Name: Tom
IRC Username: none

Post by ticker »

Thanks for the effort, Mike and the team. Anyone working on a Mac binary for 2.7? (say, Popinman?)... anyways, I'll check the PC version out in the meantime.
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

ticker wrote:Thanks for the effort, Mike and the team. Anyone working on a Mac binary for 2.7?
not as far as we know
volunteers welcome
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
ticker

Post by ticker »

I'd put my hand up, but I'm still getting my head around Xcode. One other question, tho'; recent releases that have a multi-platform mode only run in Windows or Unix, while previous ones ran with Mac included. Is this due to Mac platform upgrades getting too far away from a unix kernel?
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

ticker wrote:I'd put my hand up, but I'm still getting my head around Xcode. One other question, tho'; recent releases that have a multi-platform mode only run in Windows or Unix, while previous ones ran with Mac included. Is this due to Mac platform upgrades getting too far away from a unix kernel?
Your statement is pure conjecture, sandbox is as compatible with OS X as it has always been.
The problem is that everyone on the team is completely apathetic towards mac.
We do not wish the use the platform, nor own it or let alone buy it for the sole purpose of preparing OS X binaries for sandbox.
While we do have the occasional volunteer who creates the binaries, we do not have a dedicated mac guy and as such there will always be a lag between a release and the availability of a mac client.
That is the reason they've often been shipped alongside the package if they were shipped at all.

Regardless, the source and the old xcode projects are included in the distribution.
If you can compile it successfully, we're most definitely looking for someone to take up the position as the dedicated mac guy.
Duties mainly include compiling mac bins and maintaining the project files. Some Obj-C knowledge is desired for the launcher.

If you fail to compile it, why not use bootcamp or parallels to launch another operating system for the purpose of playing sandbox?
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
GigaShadow
Name: Dominic
IRC Username: GigaShadow

Post by GigaShadow »

If you don't want to wait for a mac binary you can still use 2.7 on a mac by doing the following:

Get the sandbox.app from an older sandbox release (I got it from the 2.6.1 version I think).

Put the app into the sandbox 2.7 folder

rename the folder to "sandbox"

find and delete the config_fps.cfg file in the sandbox folder

open OSX_Launcher which you can download from the downloads page.

Make sure "keep files separate" is checked and click "open folder".

Delete the config_fps.cfg file there as well. (This may REAPPEAR from the to time. If you experience problems like not being able to move just check if it reappeared. If it does JUST DELETE IT AGAIN. the same goes for the other config_fps file)

Move all of your files over(if you have maps from a really old version I suggest opening putting them in the "fps" file to avoid errors with the "mapname.cfg" files not loading.

That worked for me on my mac so it should work for you. It's better than waiting for someone to make a mac binary and it works perfectly! Well, except for the reappearing fps file and the weird directory errors but those are all fixable. OH! I almost forgot! If it asks you if you want to keep your old settings say YES! Because the new settings are from that evil config_fps.cfg file and you don't want that. Hope that works for you.
Need Texture Help? Pm me and I can help you out with all of your texturing needs.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

How did I not notice this until now?

@cork: try opening the maps in edit mode. That works for me.
@mike: little/nothing on fps or ssp? was this primarily an RPG update? just wondering. Also, if you didn't see this (pre-2.7 release):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3098&start=0
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
ticker

Post by ticker »

Hirato wrote:
Your statement is pure conjecture, sandbox is as compatible with OS X as it has always been.
The problem is that everyone on the team is completely apathetic towards mac.
We do not wish the use the platform, nor own it or let alone buy it for the sole purpose of preparing OS X binaries for sandbox.
While we do have the occasional volunteer who creates the binaries, we do not have a dedicated mac guy and as such there will always be a lag between a release and the availability of a mac client.
That is the reason they've often been shipped alongside the package if they were shipped at all.

Regardless, the source and the old xcode projects are included in the distribution.
If you can compile it successfully, we're most definitely looking for someone to take up the position as the dedicated mac guy.
Duties mainly include compiling mac bins and maintaining the project files. Some Obj-C knowledge is desired for the launcher.

If you fail to compile it, why not use bootcamp or parallels to launch another operating system for the purpose of playing sandbox?
Thanks for clearing that up, Hirato. Fact is, I've booted up previous versions of sandbox for both platforms using Bootcamp in the past and the OSX platform renders better images IMHO. I've now had a look at 2.7 on the PC side and will try a previous app bootup as suggested by GigaShadow and/or an xcode compile. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
ticker

Post by ticker »

GigaShadow wrote:If you don't want to wait for a mac binary you can still use 2.7 on a mac by doing the following: ...
Thanks for the detailed advice GigaShadow I'll give your suggestions a go.