Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Official Sandbox Wishlist Thread

The news hub -- read this stuff first!

Board Rules <-- Please read before posting.
killyvera
Name: dog?
IRC Username: lobo

Re: Official Sandbox Wishlist Thread

Post by killyvera »

hello! ami I would like to participate in creating content for the PAS project and took several years working with CreativeCommons content for open source gaming community, both in 3D/2D content creation here some of my work in OGA:
I would like to participate in the development of the game graph D. The Atom Shifter, in creating 3d models either characters or buildings, so too as in the creation of textures: D
http://opengameart.org/users/killyoverdrive?page=1
- On the other hand I would like as petition:
- Simple systems integration of models with upgradeable preview
-display of textures,
GUI-improvements
-ability to integrate 3D objects passable (maybe a viztazo to Interfas of Lumion 3 to give you an idea of ​​a fast and simple interface,)
-enemies with ai,
-melee weapons,
camera-control,
-control mouse movement with RPG style (di ablo, torchligt)

-integrate home screens, videos before i after a level or action, custom cursor, ability to create installable game

greetings to all!
jaydawg55
Name: Jamie

Post by jaydawg55 »

I just downloaded Sandbox, so I do not have a lot of experience with it yet.

The tutorial says not much work has been done to add functionality to the Side-scroll mode. If that is still the case, it might be good to do some work in that area. Modern side-scrollers don't all have to look flat like the Mario Brothers games (Trine2 on Steam for example). If you want to make a game with a lot of territory to explore, side-scrolling mode might create that feeling more easily.

In RPG mode, if you are using 3rd person view (which I like), it might be nice to have some limited character design capability built-in. As a game developer, being able to upload models is essential unless you are going to include 3D design tools in Sandbox. That might be too much.

I like what others have said about the player being able to pick up objects (and throw them), climb, or swing from objects. The ability for the player to pick and place items adds to the games immersive effects.

Likewise I agree with supporting more 3D model formats -- or being able to convert them to a supported format. Don't discard Blender compatibility as a goal too hastily. It is a widely used free tool with a vibrant community of supporters.

More ideas may come to mind after I learn more about using Sandbox.

JDM
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Thank you everyone for the feedback!! I'm compiling a list :) Also Killy please e-mail me at platinumarts@gmail.com Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Wingshark
Name: Bri
IRC Username: Otterpaw

Post by Wingshark »

A little unrelated, but -- I've recently come across this site, and what it has to offer, and I noticed the possibility of hiring new artists for it. I wholly support overhauls of former game systems, if only because I've seen what happens to a wonderful game when they let themselves fall into the past, and it was truly a sad experience.

While I'm not much of a coder, I'm currently a student in the Art Institute, where I've been learning everything from 2D to 3D animation. I've learned how to model, texture, and work within the limitations of a game engine (Such as adapting poly flow to a sufficient minimum for as little file size for its quality). And I'm always looking for an opportunity to start working with my passion of art. I've recently been teaching myself Blender (I learned on Maya) and have been messing with a personal project of late; creating a Western-style dragon, which I will then attempt to rig. Should the sandbox start hiring, I'd definitely like to try for a position.

That being said, I've very recently installed this Sandbox, so I haven't had much time to play around with it yet. My preference being in RPG and platformers, I always look at the story aspect of games, if one exists. Though, the first thing that caught my eye was a lack of detail, which made me think that too many objects on a game might lag it, further realized when I read through a few of these comments. In this, I'd voice my opinion that a bit more complex environments could be integrated. The controls are interesting, though smooth as though I was gliding on socks on a linoleum floor. Though, I need to play more around with the program before making any other assessments. I love the idea of all of this, and the Sandbox has been on my mind for a while now. I have much to explore!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I might have some work for you for the project http://dactionrpg.com Can you e-mail me with any portfolio pieces at platinumarts@gmail.com Also might have another potential project coming up with Sandbox itself where I'd like to add new content to it. Let me know :) Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
kilantolshi
Name: John

Post by kilantolshi »

There are a few things as a world editor I would like to see.

#1. sliding effects (i.e. ice texture that automatically has a sliding effect to it)
#2. reflection/refraction effects (mirrors and fractal windows come to mind)
#3. angleable water (make a river flow downhill)
#4. particle effect materials. Currently particle effects don't really 'pile up'. Having a simple way to make this happen (so that continual rainfall could make puddles, or leaves can pile up under a tree, or snow can be ankle/knee deep, etc.) would be beneficial. (secondary note, having such particle effects 'react' to the player and models... i.e. moving through the leaves/snow would actually leave a clear path which slowly re-fills)
#5. tidal effects (the current ebb/flow is nice, but having the tide come in at 'night' and out at 'day' would be nice as well)
#6. allow choice of color for water w/out changing lighting of an area
#7. waterflow effect? not that important to me and understandably hard to code, but being able to show a river moving a specific direction through forces applied (i.e. walk into river and you get slightly pushed downstream while walking across, or if floating/swimming a more noticeable push)

I know some of these can be hand coded or 'bug coded' in to get similar effects, but having these effects as part of the materials would be a very nice addition in my opinion
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

kilantolshi wrote:#2. reflection/refraction effects (mirrors and fractal windows come to mind)
#3. angleable water (make a river flow downhill)
The refraction stuff can already be done.
The reflections will always be limited to envmaps though; proper reflections are so far only available on the water surfaces.

This means you can kind of set up a "fakewaterfall" texture with scroll and transparency and just angle the geometry to match.
#4. particle effect materials. Currently particle effects don't really 'pile up'. Having a simple way to make this happen (so that continual rainfall could make puddles, or leaves can pile up under a tree, or snow can be ankle/knee deep, etc.) would be beneficial. (secondary note, having such particle effects 'react' to the player and models... i.e. moving through the leaves/snow would actually leave a clear path which slowly re-fills)
As cute as this could be, I don't think it's particularly practical with the engine.
#5. tidal effects (the current ebb/flow is nice, but having the tide come in at 'night' and out at 'day' would be nice as well)
You can always swap the textures out for ones with bigger waves.
Vertex animation scale is unfortunately not configurable

For this kind of stuff you need to switch maps, you can't just raise the waterlevel at set times.
#6. allow choice of color for water w/out changing lighting of an area
You always could do this.
The 3.0.0 release will allow you 4 different types of water (and glass, and lava) though.
#7. waterflow effect? not that important to me and understandably hard to code, but being able to show a river moving a specific direction through forces applied (i.e. walk into river and you get slightly pushed downstream while walking across, or if floating/swimming a more noticeable push)
I can probably make some sort of 'pusher" entity that has a more gradual change in velocity, as opposed to jumppads which do so instantly with a short cooldown.
With the way the water materials work, you can really make it part of that.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
esequiel14

Post by esequiel14 »

I have a suggestion that would really help in building making in PAS. The synchronization of brick textures most of them are just a random scale some of them are way too big and I have to adjust the building geometry to match the textures. Make all the brick textures the same scale so its easy to fuse them together and put different brick textures on the same building.

Make the Bricks from the brick textures this size: 1 gridsize: 1 tall and 2 gridsize: 1 long and the Blocks from the block wall textures 1 gridsize: 3 tall and 2 gridsize: 3 long like this texture.

This texture is a perfect brick wall texture the bricks match perfect the editing square

This is an example of a bad scaled and position brick texture

making the game geometry match this bad brick texture would create unnecesary polygons

Here is an example of what amazing effects can be done with perfect scale and position textures.

I can help correcting all the brick wall textures so they are perfect like the ones in the pic above if you guys want :?:
check out my video tutorials and sandbox coolest maps in http://www.youtube.com/user/Esequiel14
esequiel14

Post by esequiel14 »

Also I was wondering if you guys could make for the next release particle entities that are able to move like a platform entity? With this players could create awesome effects on their maps.
check out my video tutorials and sandbox coolest maps in http://www.youtube.com/user/Esequiel14
Samphilowe
Name: Owen

Post by Samphilowe »

Mike wrote:As most of you probably know there is a huge graphical update that will be a part of the next version of Sandbox. If you haven't seen it yet here is a little taste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdguXxs3to Make sure to up the video quality to see the full difference.

With that said I'd really like to improve Sandbox in all the other areas as well and I'm looking to put together a budget to pay coders, modelers, texture artists, etc so that Sandbox will have a lot of ready made content that you can use to make your own games. The funding for this will most likely come in the form of a Kickstarter.

The real question is, what features/improvements do you think would make Sandbox better? I'm going to list my ideas and I'll add ideas to the list from your responses as well.:

This list is very WIP. As a note I am probably going to be having a big meeting on IRC in the very near future to help discuss the future of SB as well.

General:
Widgets
Prefab menu and easy to add to and use the menu
Coop Support for FPS, RPG, SSP and Racing Mode
Random Map Generator similar to Minecraft - Also possibly endless world generation like Minecraft as well
Easier ways to add content such as textures and sounds to Sandbox such as an "autofind" feature
Improved Script Support/Ease Of Use? Ruby or Python Integration?
Better Model support?
Hire dedicated tutorial writers and video tutorial creators
Facebook like social page to show off and share work and so we can easily share events such as community coop meetups and map contests
Lots of models available to use for commercial use. Replacement of all content so all of it can be used commercially.

FPS:
Coop

RPG Mode:
Coop

SSP:

Vehicle Mode:
Mario Kart like racing with power ups
Option to exit the vehicle like GTA?
Planes, Boats, Hangliders, Jetpacks, Spaceships?

Put character creator that will give more personal most games has it . im learning learning c++ game programing by Michael Dawson book hope i can help.