Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

I'm new

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
NiuHaka
Name: M

I'm new

Post by NiuHaka »

Hello,

I'm new to this place and am in search of a good video game maker. I am an artist and i work for a video game company. What I want is something that i can work with at home that is easy. I have very VERY little programming experience and am pretty much only comfortable with copying and pasting lines of code and scripts. I've been looking for a 3d game maker and came across this program. I've been working with 2d game makers like RPG maker 2000/2003/xp/vx for a couple of years now but I work with 3d and want to make things at home that i don't get the chance to work on at work. There are a couple of things that I would like to know before I dive in to this program very deeply. (perhaps the questions belong in a different board?)

1. Does this engine support .png image format and does it also support .png transparencies?

2. In the wiki it talks about supporting md3. Does it also support md5?

3. I noticed some mention about glow maps. Does the engine also support bump maps or normals?
offtools
Name: offtools
IRC Username: offtools

Re: I'm new

Post by offtools »

Welcome NiuHaka :D

normaly mike does the welcome new people here, think he will do also.

just for short:
PAS uses the cube2 engine (known from the game sauerbraten, www.sauerbraten.org). if you need some information you cannot find here and in the wiki, you can also use their documentation. writing a ingame help browser is still a high priority task. until now, the ultimate documentation resources are:

grep -r COMMAND src/*
and
grep -r VAR src/* ;)

to 1.:
(there was a similar discussion yesterday here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=272)
png format is supported but the alpha channel is used for shaders. the sauerbraten edit ref will give some hints (http://www.sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html#texture).
if you need transparency (e.g. for making windows) pick a hole in a wall and add glas material or combine that with a mapmodel that uses transparent textures.

to 2:
obj, md2, md3, md5. md3 and md5 are supported, md3 is mostly used for mapmodels, md5 for animated characters. i for myself prefer md5 on booth.
import/export scripts for blender can be found here: http://cube.wikispaces.com/

to 3:
supported are: normal maps, glow maps, spec maps, depth maps, decals, env maps and texture blending and a strange concept of texture animation. village-art.cfg from the village map is a good example how things work.

^^ offtools.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I'm new

Post by Mike »

Nice post offtools! And yep welcome! Feel free to show off anything you're working on, we love to see new stuff in sandbox. Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!