Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

New with Q's

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
The Writer

New with Q's

Post by The Writer »

so i would really like to try my hand at vidoegame making, i tried to learn programming language, coding and all that but found out very quickly that it was not for me. then i found this site, it looks like a really good program, and sounds fairly easy to use. but i do have a few questions:
1) is it really easy to use?even for some one who really sucks with technology?
2) dose it have the capability of making really good graphics? or is really pixlelated?
3) is the softwear safe to download? or dose it have a lot of bugs and/or glitches that may screw with my computer?

please respond soon as i would really like to use this softwear if it is good, safe, and easy to use! :D thank you!
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Re: New with Q's

Post by jSoftApps »

If you want to make video games, you have come to the right place! Sandbox is the most easy to use game maker out there, and it has better graphics then most console games. There is no way that sandbox could glitch up your computer unless you don't have enough RAM, CPU speed and a good enough video card.
Hope it helps you, and I can't wait to see some of your work!
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
The Writer

Post by The Writer »

thanks for letting me know! that settles it for me, i'm so going to try it. and i can't wait to see some of my work ether! thanks again as i really appreciate it!
evrything fades, but nothing ever really ends.
RonnieNeeley
Name: Ronnie Neeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

The Writer wrote:so i would really like to try my hand at vidoegame making, i tried to learn programming language, coding and all that but found out very quickly that it was not for me. then i found this site, it looks like a really good program, and sounds fairly easy to use. but i do have a few questions:
1) is it really easy to use?even for some one who really sucks with technology?
2) dose it have the capability of making really good graphics? or is really pixlelated?
3) is the softwear safe to download? or dose it have a lot of bugs and/or glitches that may screw with my computer?

please respond soon as i would really like to use this softwear if it is good, safe, and easy to use! :D thank you!
1) It is easy to make maps in, but let's be real for a second, making a video game is hard work. Yes, I would say Sandbox/Cube2 has the lowest learning curve, but it is by no means "easy". You will still have to learn a lot of aspects of game making, just like any other engine.

2) I honestly love the graphics. They are simplistic, yet beautiful. It's crazy what people can make with a few cubes.

3) Yes, the software is perfectly safe.
The Writer

Post by The Writer »

RonnieNeeley,
again i express my thanks for the responses of those more expirenced with this softwear. and after reading your response i have realized the rather stupid misstake in my previous questions that you adressed. i should not have said easy. perhaps this will work better:
is it easier than most other programs you will find on the internet for free, and is it easier than codeing?
RonnieNeeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

The Writer wrote:RonnieNeeley,
again i express my thanks for the responses of those more expirenced with this softwear. and after reading your response i have realized the rather stupid misstake in my previous questions that you adressed. i should not have said easy. perhaps this will work better:
is it easier than most other programs you will find on the internet for free, and is it easier than codeing?
Well it depends. You really need to know two types of languages to work with Sandbox: C++ and CubeScript. You would use C++ to make edits to the engine itself, while you would use CubeScript to make things take place in the engine.

For example:
You would need C++ to change something with the graphical culling system.
You would need CubeScript to make a character say something.

90%, if not 100% of the time, you will be using CubeScript, which is a very simple coding language to learn. C++ is a hard language, but the pro is that it is used in millions of pieces of software, meaning there are plenty of tutorials and examples online.

Again though, depending on what you are making, you may not even need to use C++/make edits to the engine.

So to answer your question: Yes, Sandbox is one of the best and easiest game-making programs you can get for free.

(Sorry for any mistakes, I am about to go to bed and am very tired from a 2 hour map making session with my friend.)

Oh yeah, that brings up another plus to Sandbox: You can make maps with other people online. Not many engines offer that option.
The Writer

Post by The Writer »

thank you very much for explainig that! i have tried codeing before this and found that i wasn't particularly good with it... but it was codeing for java so hopefully tis stuff will be much easier... but it wasn't really that it was difficult it was just sooooo much to rember. but i'm willing to give it another shot... by the way i do not beeleve you had any mistakes, or at least none that i am aware of. i am sorry but i do have one more question: What did you mean by "make edits to the engine"? i am sorry if that is a stupid question but i am really not all that good with technology... that's one reason why i wanted to do this, to use it as a major learning expirence.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

by making edits to the engine, you could change, remove or add some features to Sandbox. This is quite confusing if you aren't an advanced C++ programmer. I'd say I'm around the intermediate area, and the C++ stuff confuses the heck outta me.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
The Writer

Post by The Writer »

okay, thanks for clearing that up for me... cause i suck, and i me SUCK!!, with that stuff!
RonnieNeeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

The Writer wrote:What did you mean by "make edits to the engine"?
Edits such as adding new features to Sandbox itself.

So, if you wanted to add like a puzzle mode, this would take place in the engine itself.

I guess a way to put it is:
The engine is like the human brain. You would use C++ to "enhance" the human brain.
You would use CubeScript to add knowledge to the brain.

So, CubeScript gives it information, while C++ dictates what is done with that information.

Kind of a half baked analogy, but that's the best I could do at this hour :?
i am sorry if that is a stupid question but i am really not all that good with technology
There are no stupid questions. Don't feel bad for asking. The only time I dislike someone asking questions are when they are questions that have been answered several times on the forum, and the person asking the question was just too lazy to look them up. You aren't one of those people, don't worry ;)