Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Hello world

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
wildflower
Name: Sandie

Hello world

Post by wildflower »

Ever since my husband introduced me to Morrowind, I have been playing RPG's and have always wanted to write my own.
My programming-skills are limited to Php, Python and some elementary knowledge of Pascal, so writing a 3D RPG was not an option, that is until I found PlatinumArts Sandbox :D

I tend to have a "trial and error" approach to things I know very little about, and thou I often gets results, it is not always pretty, like when I wanted to make a "light-switch" for a torch, I ended up making a copy of the rat model with mdlscale 1 and equiped it with helm_of_brilliance from rpg/games/default, this way I could trigger a cold torch and spawn the rat, and voilà... there was light ;)

Right now I'm working on converting my first game so it works with the svn-version.

I'm still trying to learn how it all fits together, and hope that I one day will be able to give something back to the amazing people behind this project.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: Hello world

Post by chocolatepie33 »

hi, welcome, if you haven't found the wiki yet, it's at the top of this site, on the right side, the home page is on the left.

If you're having problems converting your game to SVN, I'd recommend you actually just wait for 2.7 to come out, and use that time to iron out all the details about your game. If that's not to your liking, you just don't have to listen to me.

Also, if you would like to contribute to Sandbox, I'd recommend you make textures or models to be included with it, music is appreciated as well. I'd also guess more skyboxes would be nice, I've always wanted a real good storm cloud skybox. There's also the (challenging) prospect of learning C++ in order to understand the source code. Should you succeed in that, you could help develop future versions of PAS. But that's a very hard thing to do, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, if you're good with python, you could always try something with Blender 3D, which is written in python, such as writing a good exporter for the models Sandbox uses (I'm mentioning this because none of my md3 exported models work, and I don't have a clue how md5, smd or iqm models work.)

If there's anything you need that you can't find here, try looking around the Sauerbraten site, or Quadropolis, forums for Cube 2.There are editing commands that you can find at these sites:
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/platinu ... itref.html and
http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html

Seeing as you're using RPG, they may not be of as much use to you, but they're still helpful, especially in areas such as performance and quality.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
wildflower
Name: Sandie

Re: Hello world

Post by wildflower »

Thanks for the links, I didn't know about Quadropolis and just spent an hour browsing their content section :-)

Once I get settled in making maps and quests, I would like to make some original 3D models, but I have barely touched the surface of what Blender can do and it's not as intuitive to work with as PAS.
I'd also like to contribute with some music, unfortunately all of my previous work are bound by the legal restrictions of KODA, but I'll have PAS in mind next time I fire up the DAW.
I'm not sure my source-code is usable by anyone but myself, at this point I'm really just hacking away, and if I make something useful, it'll most likely only be for niX since I don't have much experience with Windows.

So for now I'll stick to making a game, or at least try :-)