Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Good evening!

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
asrowley
Name: Andrew

Good evening!

Post by asrowley »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for having me on the PAS forum.

I'm interested in using PAS to create 3D notebooks where my uni notes are stored in geographical locations. I've been looking everywhere for a sandbox tool where this might be possible and PAS has answered my prayers :)

However there is one problem that I can't find an answer to. I place my notes on buildings and hillsides etc but the placement is quite random. For example, if I want to place a poster on a wall, half the text is cut off (unless I place it first and then build around it)

Is there ANY way of manipulating the "offset" (is that what it's called?) or the positioning of these textures?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: Good evening!

Post by chocolatepie33 »

texture offset? Easy. Just use

/voffset ###

and that should do it.

http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html#voffset

and as for the 3D notebooks... I like that idea. really reminds me of Bumptop.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
asrowley
Name: Andrew

Post by asrowley »

Ah ha! Many many thanks - that saves a lot of headaches. I was trying to mess around with the config file in notepad++ which was getting messy - having to reload the map all the time.... Then trying to use the ingame (F6) notepad was very erratic - some configs (my texture file one) would load but the -art.cfg wouldn't... and then the results were erratic (again) if it did.

This method is a lot simpler.

Just one last point though...

What are the parameters for using voffset (and vscale?) - are they in pixels (texels)?

Many thanks again

Andrew

PS Yeah I think the idea of 3D notebooks etc is really the future. I think we're really limiting the power of the computer just getting it to imitate a paper book with 2D digitalised pages on a screen - the possibilities are limitless.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

according to that link I gave you, texoffset (and subsequently voffset) is done in texels. If it's not that, it's done in percentage. I don't use voffset, so I don't know.
Vscale is definitely in percentage; over 1 enlarges while under 1 (decimal) reduces.

Examples:

/vscale 2 (doubles the size)
/vscale .25 (makes the texture 1/4 the original size)

EDIT: yes, voffset works in pixels (texels), so powers of two (assuming that all textures have dimensions of such) should work.

examples:

/voffset 128
/voffset 256
/voffset 64
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!