Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Attaching Weapon to Character (RPG mode)

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
Wind Astella
Name: Nik Mirza
IRC Username: windastella

Attaching Weapon to Character (RPG mode)

Post by Wind Astella »

As requested by Defunctul. There is a lack of tutorial on this matter.Some may have realized that RC model do have tag but it is attach at odd place. I already knew how to do this for a while already and I should share it to everyone.

So here is a tutorial on how to attach weapon to character.
http://windastellaworld.blogspot.ru/201 ... -mode.html

Tell me if it need some improvement.
Defunctul
Name: Nick

Re: Attaching Weapon to Character (RPG mode)

Post by Defunctul »

Brilliant! Simply brilliant! :D Ty so much for taking your time to write this, I already learned alot (being a total noob at scripting and other engine stuff, I am only a 3d artist). I'm pretty sure this will help a LOT of ppl.

Btw if I am getting this right, I see that you attach the weapon model to the actual 'item'. So this means that the model will visually appear when you EQUIP the item in your character panel right? Sry if that sounds noobish just wanted to clear it out :mrgreen:

All in all, I bow to the simple and straight to the point tutorials you make for us newbs :D
Wind Astella

Post by Wind Astella »

Yes, that is how the system work in the RPG mode. The model change as the item change.

You can attach it right to the model but of course it won't change if you switch weapon. That is what I like about the RPG mode that you can switch model with script.
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

That's not a very efficient way.

First of all, you can use clearmodel to clear a model's config files, so it is reevaluated on the next frame. ie /clearmodel vweps/mywep
You can use commands like mdltrans and mdlrotate to adjust it until it's just right; just use the above command.

You can also do likewise with the character model itself; you don't need to go to the effort to add specific 'tag bones' either.
The full form of the iqmtag command is: iqmtag bone name tx ty tx rx ry rz
tx/ty/tz are translations, and the rx/ry/rz are rotations; you can tweak these till you get it just right if the issue's in the character rather than the attachments.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Wind Astella

Post by Wind Astella »

I do know it is possible. I just do it in my own way. I'm a modeler so I think of it on the model package side rather than the engine side.
Thank you very much for the information Hirato. Maybe I'll make another version of this tutorial base on your suggestion.