Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

[January Mapping Contest entry] RPG Kelgar

Congrats kddekadenz on your win!

This is my favorite map!

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 6

kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: [January Mapping Contest entry] RPG Kelgar

Post by kddekadenz »

First of all thank you for your helpful feedback :)
You just need to wait a few seconds. It still loads. I have this bug since I use the newgame option. When it's loaded for the first time, it will start immediately without freezing.

@chocolatepie33:

cons
  • 1) English isn't my native language. @Corey: Could you please correct it?
    2) This aims to be not completely kid-friendly. It's for 12+ years old people.
    3) I need to find the reason for this. Maybe the pickups or the AI?
    4) In the main menu is a help section with keybinds.
    5) I really need to make a short explanation at the beginning.
pros
  • 1) Very easy to do, if you know how to.
    2) Thanks! They will be improved in the future. I already have redone most rock textures, because they didn't satisfied me.
    3) Like 1)
    4) Thank you :)
neutral
  • 1) Hadn't enough time to fix this.
    2) They shoot at you if they can see you. I don't know how to change this.
    3) The original Sauerbraten RPG had health bars. I will try to reimplementing them.
    4) I want to add modding support in the future, so I don't want to remove this.
    5) The quests were mainly done in the last 2 days before the original deadline and the fixed deadline.
Thank you for reviewing Kelgar!

@Hirato:

'DAS REVIEW' -> do you can speak German?

Packaging
  • 1) Oups. I will remove them.
    2) It's easier to recognize if you use [].
    3) That's good :)

RPG stuff
  • 1) They try to avoid projectiles, but sometimes they stop without a reason. I have no idea what cause this weird behavior.
    2) Yes.
    3) Really? Didn't thought about this.
    4) double-posted
    5) I want to implement hud-weapons + swinging sounds in the future.
    6) chocolatepie -> neutral -> 5)
Code
  • 1) I needed some time to find the right command for the new game option.
    2) Yes. Quest icons will be added.
    3) Don't know what you mean.

4) I didn't know how to assign a dialogue to a trigger, so I used critters for this.

5) I possibly will need to create item groups (set a variable for each item) -> you can assign to the NPC easily a group of items he can sell/buy/loot. The weak healing spell was added at the last day, so I had no time to check it.

6) See 5)

7) It's he last side quest, which was created. Even the house of the old men isn't done.
Misc
  • 1) Corey currently creates some dungeon music :)
    2) Ok, I will increase contrast of those.
    3) Never ever used this before, but I will do so. The lightening looks ways better on your picture :o
    4) chocolatepie -> pros -> 2)
    5) Thank you :)
    6) Hadn't really time for creating them, so I used some of my sounds I did for other projects.
    7) I made a request at IndieDB (may not be authorized yet) for a 3D modeler and animator.
Final verdict

I just played some time ago the first minutes of Gothic 3, because it lagged to much. I'm very proud to have sometimes the quality/atmosphere of a game, which has been developed for years in a skilled team. I'm planning on releasing at least a Beta version after 1-2 years.

Thank you for your presents. The waypoints were done in the last minutes before uploading it.
And thank you for your helpful review!
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

You probably should quote the statements you're responding to...
1) They try to avoid projectiles, but sometimes they stop without a reason. I have no idea what cause this weird behavior.
2) Yes.
3) Really? Didn't thought about this.
Combat wise I'm somewhat impressed. The enemies are balanced to be a challenge, but unfortunately they're all easily beaten by kiting them with at range. Those with ranged attacks still posed some challenge though.
Simply the waypoints don't set them up to use melee for defeating the player.
You can use the AI debug channel (debug 32) to see waypoints.
The AI follows them very strictly at present, I intend to smooth them out a bit in the future so they zigzag a lot less, it can't be helped right now and currently it eats up a lot of their speed.
The waypoints I provided should give you a much better idea how detailed they need to be to be useful.

Or did you mean the AI stops using ranged attacks?
If that's the case, they simply ran out of resources, they play by the same rules as you afterall.
2) Yes. Quest icons will be added.
3) Don't know what you mean.

but I assume that was in reference to this statement
I also see you added a basic and rudimentary journal.
You should probably avoid doing it this way, but I'm impressed by the fact that you allowed it to persist between sessions.
I'm saying your journal is good in the sense that it persists, aka uses global variables, as opposed to script aliases.
I'm also saying you shouldn't go about it that way. but it can't really be helped right now, I have yet to implement a proper journal system.
I don't really feel icons would enhance things much.
4) I didn't know how to assign a dialogue to a trigger, so I used critters for this.
Haha, classic.
Would I believe me if I told you it is done the exact same way as it is done for critters? :P
5) I possibly will need to create item groups (set a variable for each item) -> you can assign to the NPC easily a group of items he can sell/buy/loot. The weak healing spell was added at the last day, so I had no time to check it.
Hmm... I have a bit to think about, but I think you just gave me an idea of how I can do bartering and trading... with region rules and currencies too.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Hirato wrote:You probably should quote the statements you're responding to...
Ok :D
Hirato wrote:You can use the AI debug channel (debug 32) to see waypoints.
The AI follows them very strictly at present, I intend to smooth them out a bit in the future so they zigzag a lot less, it can't be helped right now and currently it eats up a lot of their speed.
The waypoints I provided should give you a much better idea how detailed they need to be to be useful.
You could enable dropwaypoints by default. I tested it and it didn't decreased performance.
Hirato wrote:Or did you mean the AI stops using ranged attacks?
If that's the case, they simply ran out of resources, they play by the same rules as you afterall.
No I didn't mean that. I already know this.
Hirato wrote: I'm saying your journal is good in the sense that it persists, aka uses global variables, as opposed to script aliases.
I'm also saying you shouldn't go about it that way. but it can't really be helped right now, I have yet to implement a proper journal system.
I don't really feel icons would enhance things much.
Now I do understand what you mean. Quest icons don't have a high priority for me.
Hirato wrote:Haha, classic.
Would I believe me if I told you it is done the exact same way as it is done for critters? :P
:o -> :oops: -> :lol:
Hirato wrote:Hmm... I have a bit to think about, but I think you just gave me an idea of how I can do bartering and trading... with region rules and currencies too.
I'm glad I could help you in return.
Double_H
Name: Double_H

Post by Double_H »

hallo kdd,
ich hab mal mit ja gevotet^^
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Double_H wrote:hallo kdd,
ich hab mal mit ja gevotet^^
For those who can't speak German, he said:
hi kdd,
I have voted with yes^^

@Double_H: Nice that you finally joined the PAS community :)