Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

[January Mapping Contest entry] RPG Kelgar

Congrats kddekadenz on your win!

This is my favorite map!

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 6

kddekadenz
Name: kdd

[January Mapping Contest entry] RPG Kelgar

Post by kddekadenz »

Facts:
  • -> currently the world of Kelgar consist of 2 villages: Arus and Ridaz
    -> there are 4 quests with different ends, that means you influence the behavior of the NPC's
    -> it features different new things, like buying, selling and looting, new art, cooking on fireplaces and new spells
    -> NPC's will attack you if you attack them or if they are in the enemy faction
    -> it features 4 completely custom music tracks by Corey (RYSE)

video by ubuntuvibes1

The download includes a .bat for Windows-users and a .sh for Linux-users.

Download (CompoVersion) ~90,8 mB - no advertising, but slower download speed

Gamefront Mirror - adverts, but faster

Other mirrors

If your games freezing at the beginning, just wait, it's still loading!

I have this week some more time than normally, so I plan on releasing a fixed, improved version soon.
Last edited by kddekadenz on February 21st, 2012, 1:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Re: [January Mapping Contest entry] RPG Kelgar

Post by jSoftApps »

Oh crud! I completely forgot about the mapping contest! Time to get busy.
Your game looks good!
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

I updated the game.
wildflower
Name: Sandie

Post by wildflower »

Nice game :-)

Let me know if you need any low-poly static models.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

<Mostly reserved for review>

I'm in the midst of downloading the game (12 mins remaining), but I must say, I like what I see so far, except for the gigantic download size. If you plan to properly publish the game (for purchase, I don't know your plans with this), then you probably should check the licenses on some of the stuff you used, I think that wolf (with modified skin) wouldn't be okay to use without author consent, as found in the included readme:

Code: Select all

NOTICE!

This license covers everything in the models/rpg directory unless folder specific license says otherwise.

Platinum Arts has the exclusive license to use this included artistic content.  If you wish to use these models in your own project independant of Platinum Arts Sandbox then you need to get permission from the author John A. Siar.

Platinum Arts has the sole right, besides the author, John A. Siar, to alter, use, and distribute all content presented to them by
the author for use in Platinum Arts Sandbox and any non-commercial projects related to the Platinum Arts Sandbox.
The list includes, but is not limited to;

all animation .md3 files presented by the author
native gimp .xcf files for use in texture creation
configuration files for animation
skins and textures

No money may be made from these items in any way without first contacting the author at johnny3d AT promail DOT ca.
If there is a discrepancy as to the license or use of the content contact the author.  Each individual license of each
item is active provided they do not conflict with the above license.  In the case of a conflict this license immediately
overrides any other.  

For a complete list of each item contact the author.  All items are copyright John A. Siar and must follow the above license
and each non-conflicting individual licenses included with any of the items, less the above license is used.  

John A. Siar
9/17/06 
anyways, once it's done downloading (~5 minutes left), I'll play it, and edit this section for the entire review.

EDIT: REVIEW TIME!

cons:
some Grammar + Spelling (seemed unprofessional to me)
Vulgarity (I'd check for kid-friendliness so Mike approves)
Slow on my comp. (just something to consider)
No intro/tutorial/explanation of controls (what if someone who never used PAS played this?)
"snakes" (soldiers)- killed me, along with wild animals when I didn't know how to fight back

pros:
ladders were awesome
nice custom textures (particularly the house wood)
texture blending was pretty well done
custom loading stuff, GUI was beautiful

neutral (not good, but out of your control for now):
weird hills (just weird-looking geometrically)
"snakes" shooting at me at unrealistic distances (I climbed to the top of a hill and was shot to death.)
enemy health bars would be nice (again, not really something I think you can do)
certain unncessary menu options (removal of edit mode, that kinda stuff)
no real quest yet, mostly just mini-/side-quests (I understand it's just a demo, kinda feels weird to me though)

Anyways, so far so good, I'm giving it a 7/10.
Last edited by chocolatepie33 on February 5th, 2012, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Lol, I tried to make it as small as possible. 90,8 mB isn't gigantic for a complete stand-alone game, which is cross platform. The windows executables + dll's are relatively big I have to say.
The full version may be selled. I don't know how to animate models, so I needed to keep the PAS ones :/ I'm currently searching for a modeler and animator to do this for me (posted request on several sites).
I'm curious about your review :)
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Post by cork279 »

The ModDB download link is a lot faster for me. The link you posted here was about 10-40kb/s, the one at moddb was 1mb/s for me, so I'd recommend the Moddb link, since it has multiple mirrors too (http://www.moddb.com/games/kelgar/downl ... po-version).
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

I realised that, too :lol:
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Kelgar didn't work for me.

Issues: I was able to load the main menu fine, it was when I tried playing the game that it froze. It would completely load the map before freezing. This version was the ModDB version. I'll try the other mirror when I have the chance.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

The same thing happened to me.
Amusingly enough, it didn't happen again the second time when I wanted to debug it.

EDIT: DAS REVIEW

Packaging
You included config_rpg.cfg and init.cfg - these are your personal settings, don't do that.
I'd also advise agaisnt using [] characters for the name, but this isn't a big deal.
The package appears to otherwise be flawless.

9/10

RPG stuff
Combat wise I'm somewhat impressed. The enemies are balanced to be a challenge, but unfortunately they're all easily beaten by kiting them with at range. Those with ranged attacks still posed some challenge though.
Simply the waypoints don't set them up to use melee for defeating the player.
Those with ranged attacks still posed some challenge though.
Also, melee weapons provided no feedback when used - would've been nice to at least see an arc or a puff of smoke where it hit something.

I'm rather impressed on the atmosphere and combat aspects, but I find the quests to be somewhat lacking.
They do not offer multiple resolutions or influence any NPCs as advertised.

25/50

Code
I can see you modified the main menu to launch your game directly. Good job.
I also see you added a basic and rudimentary journal.
You should probably avoid doing it this way, but I'm impressed by the fact that you allowed it to persist between sessions.

Otherwise I'm quite confused by your unconventional approaches.
First there are the fireplaces and mudbanks, why did you spawn critters atop them? If you want to do this you should be using trigger entities (they have a flag for making themselves invisible you know). Likewise they and the player should have models assigned to them.
The current approach allows me to render them unusable by attacking them.

Looting is the another thing that confuses me a bit, but I suppose it is somewhat understandable as I haven't made anything to prevent you from looting certain objects.
Still, surely you could've use a list of items to check for and modified the generic NPC loot script for this, rather than creating script #22 and calling it.
This is also the wrong approach to including them, in the future place them elsewhere, eg includes/lootscript.cfg and use 'include' to include them, eg 'include includes/lootscript'
Also said script also prints that there aren't any items to loot unless the container had a weak healing glyph.

The thing that confuses me most is the way you handled shopping. This could've been done in a much more generic way, did you really need to make a dialogue tree for every item you could buy and sell?
That is incredibly excessive!

The ancestor quest also looks a bit buggy. There seem to be a lot of weirdly placed state changes.

9/20

Misc
I kind of like the music, it feels a bit repetitive at times though.
The GUI theme is a bit lacking in terms of contrast - it's a bit difficult to tell the off options from the on ones.
The first map is lit rather poorly - shadows are far too dark for the outdoor areas. Give some thought to using the skylight and sunlight variables in the future.
Some of your textures seem a bit weird. Especially one of those predominantly used for walls.
The world otherwise looks good and sets a decent atmosphere.
Plus the few sounds that are there work pretty well too for the most part. Though it's a bit jarring to have one of the attack sounds play when I'm using the weak healing glyph.
My biggest criticism with the new art would be the lack of dead/dying animations or ragdolls.

14/20

Final verdict
57/100; C

I think this has some definite potential, I'm very curious to see where you'll take it if you intend to build onto it.
It's giving me quite a few gothic 3 vibes (that's a good thing).

Also, I'd like to leave you with two presents.
Firstly, proper waypoints for your map http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23891252/Kelgar-main.wpt
what I think the lighting should've looked like http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23891252/screenshot_452054.jpg
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless