Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

How to make a rpg

Chat and ask questions about the RPG Maker Mode here.
smokyzach2009
Name: Zach

How to make a rpg

Post by smokyzach2009 »

I was given a project at school to create a video game. This is the best software I have been able to find. But how can a rpg be made. Every time I try to add a npc my computer rejects it, also it refuses to save the maps I make. Any help?
northstar
Name: steven

Re: How to make a rpg

Post by northstar »

it might be a good idea to make a first person shooter game (fps) first... rpg can get a bit... um... complicated... just a suggestion... then tackle the rpg... but i'm just a guy, nobody important, so dont listen to me if you dont want to (smile)...
smokyzach2009

Post by smokyzach2009 »

Ok il try a fps but how should I start
northstar

Post by northstar »

make map first... use the ` button above the tab button type newmap (space) then (size) (enter)10-16... 12 is a good size...

to save map use the ` button then type savemap (space)(then map name)(enter)for the first save... then all you have to do is type savemap after that... when ingame and you have saved once, you can use the 'up' button to bring up recent commands (like savemap)...
smokyzach2009

Post by smokyzach2009 »

I've done that now so how do you add enemy's and stuff like that?
northstar

Post by northstar »

personally i dont know, i'm an rpg kinda guy (where we have to spawn and record everything in triplicate)... i dont think its too hard, just look through the tutorials here and on wiki to get you going...
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

smokyzach2009 wrote:Every time I try to add a npc my computer rejects it, also it refuses to save the maps I make. Any help?
What do you mean by this? It'd be nice to know exactly what Sandbox tells you.
northstar wrote:it might be a good idea to make a first person shooter game (fps) first... rpg can get a bit... um... complicated... just a suggestion... then tackle the rpg... but i'm just a guy, nobody important, so dont listen to me if you dont want to (smile)...
If you want to learn about using the editor, you can use pretty much any mode, but for RPG concepts, stick with RPG all the way through. Before 2.8, you could use FPS mode to create a half-decent RPG-like game if you knew the coding, but more recently it's become its own mode.

For general RPG help, I'd take a look at the RPG pages on our wiki.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
jdexo1

Post by jdexo1 »

if you don't know anything about the engine i recommend you watch this http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3ECC86CFC567663