Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Modeling and Creation

Chat and ask questions about the RPG Maker Mode here.
GregSoft75

Modeling and Creation

Post by GregSoft75 »

Alright My wife and i have decided to use Platinum arts sandbox as our Engine of Choice for our game we are designing

We are currently in drafting and concept art stages of development

As for problems and helpful Advice
i know some of these questions can be found within the forums but like my last project (which i was forced to switch to unity engine do to lack of support) no straight forward reliable answers

1. We are unable to import custom models that have more then one skin is there a way to do this
is there a way to import the ones that do without having to rename everything to tris.obj or tris.skin etc?

2.is it possible to add way-points to other maps (to and from one another) Since the Scale of this game is massive we need to load store, house, dungeon, islands etc on small scales if so how?

3. Can we use the map models and textures in game inside our own game?

4. does platinum arts support day/night time frames?

Thanks in Advance
The GregSoft Team
palm tree dreamin
Name: Myst

Re: Modeling and Creation

Post by palm tree dreamin »

Hi there,
I am relatively new to Sandbox and most of my knowledge is about the SSP (side scroller) mode. Since I am still looking for answers to some of my questions, I thought I would see if I could help you out, a little.
1. We are unable to import custom models that have more then one skin is there a way to do this
is there a way to import the ones that do without having to rename everything to tris.obj or tris.skin etc?
I believe the answer is yes. Apparently, there is a tutorial on this. I found it by using the SEARCH and input multiple textures. There are 43 matches and the first one listed is
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4776
If this is not the answer you were looking for, I would check out the other 42 search links... There is also a wiki at
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... =Main_Page
They have a link to a modeling reference page that mentions that you can have multiple skins with objects. One way to find out, is looking through the models that are included with Sandbox. Many of the configure files will give clues about what is possible.
2.is it possible to add way-points to other maps (to and from one another) Since the Scale of this game is massive we need to load store, house, dungeon, islands etc on small scales if so how?
There is always a way to do anything. ;) Since I work mostly in SSP mode, I don't have the specifics, but my understanding is that smaller maps can be split/combined. I highly recommend you use the search. It will save you heaps of time. There is also a page on the wiki with RPG commands. Some of them pertain to maps.
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... G_commands
There are also some questions on the forums that might be of use to you:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4217
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4137
3. Can we use the map models and textures in game inside our own game?
My limited understanding is: Read the license. The license will tell you what you can use and how it may be used. Some models/textures have a CCommons attributable non-commercial type license and some are free for any purpose. Since all the resources come from many different places, you really do have to look into the individual license, but I would begin with the Sandbox game license and go from there. One would think it explains how to identify what is free for non-commercial vs commercial use. If not, contact the big kahuna, directly.
4. does platinum arts support day/night time frames?
I have seen this asked elsewhere and my understanding is no, and yes. There doesn't seem to be a way to have it be sunrise, sunset, night, sunrise, etc.. unless you have a script that scoots the player to another map that has sunset, and another has night, etc. The problem with that, as was mentioned in the post I saw, was how to keep track of what the player is doing on each map and transfer that information to the others. Too complicated for many things.

One way you might be able to do it, is by gauging time, so that the player HAS to leave (or sleep) at a certain time, and then go to black for 5 seconds, transfer the map, and come back to the next map, with a gui saying that you find yourself in the new place 5 hours later, or whatever... Just an idea.

Most of your questions will have already been answered in the forums. Do use the forum search. It is really rather good, if you know the terms to search for.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help. I hope you do find something useful, or someone does. Good luck with your project!

Credendo Vides :D
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

Sandbox 3.0 was going to support dynamic lighting...

As far as models are concerned, you basically get one skin per mesh, if you want more, you'll need to split the model into multiple meshes.
I think robochimp consists of multiple meshes.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
northstar
Name: steven

Post by northstar »

when you make your model divide your different skins into different materials...

then in your config write (depending on what kind of model you have)

objload "modelname.obj"

objskin materialname1 "texturename1.jpg"
objskin materialname2 "texturename2.jpg"
objskin materialname3 "texturename3.jpg"
northstar
Name: steven

Post by northstar »

did i say material... i ment mesh... akkkk

here is an example of one of my mulit-skin models...

objload model.obj

objskin base base.jpg
objskin label label.jpg masks.png .2 .1
objskin button button.jpg masks.png .2 .1
objskin chrome base.jpg chrome_masks.png .3 .1

where base, label, button and chrome are different mesh names in the model
databasegames

Post by databasegames »

Hirato wrote:Sandbox 3.0 was going to support dynamic lighting...

As far as models are concerned, you basically get one skin per mesh, if you want more, you'll need to split the model into multiple meshes.
I think robochimp consists of multiple meshes.
sandbox 3.0 was going to support dynamic lighting! I was hoping that would come out either way my team and I are redoing parts of sandbox mainly so we can get more sounds into the game(not music) and get rid of the not-commercially available models and textures