Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Poor Perfomance

Post your feedback here about MAGE
Mr. Brightside
Name: Friedrich
IRC Username: Dr_Schnellinger

Poor Perfomance

Post by Mr. Brightside »

Hi there.

I'm experiencing very low perfomance on my pc when playing these sandboxes; either modern city builder or D.'s sandbox.

Things appear and disappear like something is going seriously wrong, even if I set all settings to low I still have poor perfomance.

Please, tell me how to fix it. Oh, and gimme some command for fullscreen mode like the normal sandbox, not stretched window, real fullscreen :roll:

My sys specs:

CPU: intel dual-core 2.0GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 533MHz
GPU: nVidia 9 Series (9400GT, 512MB)
System: MS Windows XP 32-bit SP3 5.1.2600

I highly doubt it is because of WinXP or my cpu or ram, as I have GTA EFLC and there is no lag with that game.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Poor Perfomance

Post by Mike »

Howdy! Thanks for your post. You might want to hit R to change it lower the distance it is seeing. Unfortunately as far as I know you can't make it fullscreen but you can make it a stretched window that almost takes up the entire screen. I'll see what I can do about that for the future.

With your specs I'm actually surprised it is having trouble that is why I'm wonder if it is the viewdistance with R because it runs just fine on these ancient Dell Laptops at school. Also if you haven't already try turning off the shaders in the settings. Also when is the last time you updated your video drivers? It does use opengl. Let me know how all that works out and we'll go from there. Take care!
-Mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Mr. Brightside

Post by Mr. Brightside »

Pressing "R" won't fix the issue.

And my drivers are up-to-date. Driver version is 340.52 and nview version: 141.24

Oh and a question about PAS 2.8 waterwars: why can't I select another player model when playing in "coop" mode with the bots? when I select another model the sandbox closes without any warning/message.

On the attachments I sticked the "debug.txt" file of D.'s sandbox.
Attachments
debug.zip
It was generated the last time I played.
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Regarding the performance issue on Minetest/D.'s Sandbox I don't know. I'll have to think on it but logically it doesn't make sense. It does sometimes take a little time for land to generate so that could be part of what is happening.

Regrading Water Wars if you are in a team match then you are forced to either a red or blue skin. I think switching the player model must be shifting it to a non existent model reference since there are not to switch to hence the crash. Are you using 2.8.2? I should probably release 2.8.3 sometime which is water balloon mode :)
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Mr. Brightside

Post by Mr. Brightside »

2.8.3 sometime which is water balloon mode Heh, sounds fun!
Mr. Brightside

Post by Mr. Brightside »

I know it's a little late for this but I like to inform people (Even if you already know :lol: )

After a long time I managed to make it work under fullscreen mode, open the file 'minetest.conf' with notepad and add this command to the list

Code: Select all

fullscreen = true
I can't believe it was this easy, there is a file called 'minetest.conf.example' there is a vast ammount of useful commands such as 'screenW = xxx' and screenH = xxx' (Where xxx it's the width and height resolution size), I also downloaded Minetest 0.4.14 and I still have poor perfomance, I guess it's the game engine and not my PCs or D.'s Sandbox.

too bad, going back to Minecraft 1.7.2.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I'm sorry to hear you are still having poor performance. You could try posting in the minetest forums too because unfortunately I don't know a ton about the engine itself. At school I'm using it on some Dell 2120s which are pretty much about as weak as you can comeby for computers these days and it works well. Not super well but easy playable. Maybe you could turn down your render distance a bit too? You can use the - key and F3 is fog which might help too.

Thanks for the heads up on fullscreen, that's a great tip! I'm also hoping to release a much more feature packed and up to date version this Thanksgiving week off I have from work and I am prepping a video related to Sandbox as well :) Thank you as always for your support! Take care!
-Mike