Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

textures question...

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
haywiresystem
Name: Stephen

textures question...

Post by haywiresystem »

I followed the excellent guide in the tutorial for adding textures... It worked, but can someone describe for me the proper format for textures that fill one cube like the ones that come with pas?

I checked and it seems the ones I checked (which fit to one cube in the editor) are 512x512

Tried saving mine to that but it does not seem to work. I mean the texture loads but it takes many squares to display it in full, otherwise it only displays a portion of it in one cube...
haywiresystem

Re: textures question...

Post by haywiresystem »

After some trial and error I got it....

Its 64x64 to make a texture fill one square, way off the 512x512 I was trying... DOH!

I also managed to import my BIG map from pas schoolhouse to pas water wars edition. I have been building things in that map for a few weeks on the largest map.... So I was happy to not have to start completely over. Next up... Adding tons of new textures and continue building the map.

I will keep the textures I am working on and I will put them up for download for anyone who wants them. So far I've got marble, brick, stone, and glass textures, as well as some much more ornamental stuff...
haywiresystem

Post by haywiresystem »

Okay new question, does anyone know... Can you NOT add new textures to an existing map at all? Gives invalid texture when I tried to add textures.... Works with new map...?

That kinda sucks, this means once you start a map your stuck with just the textures you started with, and you can never add any more? That will require some pretty good planning if your doing a huge map, and even then I'm not sure not being able to add new textures is a good idea. What if you have a great idea for say, the last building in your huge map after you've been editing the map for months? Just make due with the textures you started with?

Anyhow, I have a map I spent 3 weeks on, looks likes its trash now... unless can you just replace old textures with new ones? Any way to modify the map file to allow new texture files?
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

haywiresystem wrote: I checked and it seems the ones I checked (which fit to one cube in the editor) are 512x512

Tried saving mine to that but it does not seem to work. I mean the texture loads but it takes many squares to display it in full, otherwise it only displays a portion of it in one cube...
You could just use /vscale ## to change the size (so 2 = twice as large while .25 = 1/4 as large)
haywiresystem wrote:Can you NOT add new textures to an existing map at all? Gives invalid texture when I tried to add textures.... Works with new map...?
Not sure what you mean, it is pretty easy to add textures to a new map, just open up (mapname)-art.cfg and add the proper texture codes to the bottom. Additionally, you could use /exec packages/.../packages.cfg to execute the commands within the file, which may include texture loading commands.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
haywiresystem

Post by haywiresystem »

Hey, I did learn how to add textures with the packages.cfg and that works for new maps only. The textures show up as blank on old maps.
Are you saying I can add those textures to the map art file and then the old map can use the new textures?
haywiresystem

Post by haywiresystem »

I mean what I'm trying to do is add new textures to an existing, not new map.

Oh and thanks for your reply,.
haywiresystem

Post by haywiresystem »

I mean what I'm trying to do is add new textures to an existing, not new map.

Oh and thanks for your reply,.
haywiresystem

Post by haywiresystem »

Sorry I forgot one other thing, I have collected almost 1000 royalty free textures from various sources. I would be happy to zip my new texture dir along with the packages.cfg file.

Adding so many textures is very tedious work, if I can help others, I'd be happy to do that if there is interest.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

haywiresystem wrote: The textures show up as blank on old maps.
Are you saying I can add those textures to the map art file and then the old map can use the new textures?
If they're showing up blank, then it's likely that you put the wrong path in somewhere, and so the textures can't be found.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
haywiresystem

Post by haywiresystem »

Thank you, I copied the info from my packages.cfg file into the untitled-art file (the file for the map I've been working on) And it worked. At first, my whole world was screwed up because I didn't put that at the end of the textures list... Once I put it at the end and restarted, everything worked perfectly... Thanks for your help!