Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

ZZYO Texture Package – v.0.1 Beta

Section for submitting new content to Sandbox, such as maps, code, etc.
Kids are also more than welcome to submit their work with parental permission!
Tony
Name: Tony

ZZYO Texture Package – v.0.1 Beta

Post by Tony »

I ask you to please download this ZIP file first: http://www.mediafire.com/?rp9qv17w966r7mp

This is the documentation and I’d really prefer that you do read it. This is a stand-alone, single-file HTML document. You can extract it right to your desktop without fear of extra files or images cluttering up your workspace. The only reason I even compressed it was to avoid browser issues for the download.
So, yes, please download that first, and separately. Besides, it will give you something to read while you wait for the 160 MB’s of textures to download.

ZZYO Texture Package v.0.1 Beta
http://www.mediafire.com/?a3hbrkq59jbqq9c

ZZ YO Oh Point One Bay Tah
This package is released AS-IS, with absolutely no warranty offered or implied as to the suitability, usability, or turbo-studdliness of this material.
Good Luck, Enjoy, Rock On.

Pick your favorites out of these now, as I am already going back through them to re-work some, dull the spec maps on some, lower the bump on some... just an overall re-do on most of these. So if you see something you really, really like, better hold on to it because I'll be releasing a new version of this sometime soon.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone whom tests and goes through these.
- Tony
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: ZZYO Texture Package – v.0.1 Beta

Post by chocolatepie33 »

why couldn't you just name the package "tony/"? Plus, maybe with the packaging, just make it "zzyo/category/", so the people don't have to make the new folder, they can then just extract to the packages folder?
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Tony

Post by Tony »

There happens to already be a folder named "tony'...
And... how difficult is it to make a folder?

For Windows users, all ya gotta do is save the zip file to the packages directory, and right-click it...
choose "Extract to..." and Windows will make a folder automatically with the zzyo name.
The dialogue will show you a path with the new folder name, just say "Yes".
The automation is implied.

And... even for those that don't already have a folder named "tony", they probably will.
Either by grabbing stuff I offer, or through a game version release.
If Hirato picks any of these to use in the next version, he'll probably use the name "tony" for the folder.
This way, the zzyo folder will not conflict with that, if that becomes the case.

My next package will probably be called, "ztex"... that's what my current development directory is named.

Here is what I suggest:

Create a folder named "tony"...
...go through the zzyo package and pick out the stuff you think you'll actually use, and put that in the tony folder.
When you've gotten the stuff you want out of there, zip it back up and archive it.
Delete that folder and keep your booty in the tony folder.
Be sure and copy/paste all the data from the package.cfg files for the sets you decide to use.

I honestly would not expect anyone to keep all of those in the texture menu, nor would I expect most folks to use the majority of these.
It's a library, check out what you want, leave the rest.

Yeah, that sounds like work *gasp*...
...it's still free textures that ya didn't have before.

That is what I am doing: I have the zzyo folder set up, and I'm culling out ones I don't like, and dumping the keepers into my tony folder.
As I begin to use these, I am fixing them up, toning them down, fixing the layers to suit my needs.

Something that I may do a little further down the road, is share the contents of my "tony" folder as another package.
That will be the tried and true, best cuts and slickest tweaks, and any other new ones I make.

*shrug*
It's all just practice man. Maybe not all the best products in the world just yet, but I gotta start somewhere.
It's been a few years for me, it takes time to get back in the groove man.
I'm still software shopping too. I want good tools, but I want to make sure I buy what I need and not a bunch of junk that I'll never use.

A'ight, back to it,
- Tony

EDIT:

P.S. - I hand coded that instruction page, used Notepad++. First xhtml/css I've touched in 4 years. I hope it runs right =)
Ima post a separate post with some tips, and I can edit/add to it as I come across stuff, to go with this package.
Tony

ZZYO Texture Package – TIPS

Post by Tony »

Some of these specmaps are very hot.
If you are having trouble with them being too shiny, try this:

Open the file associated with the image set, it will be the one on a line that says: texture s
It will also be appended with this: _s.png

Open that up in your image editor.
Set your bucket-fill to hexadecimal color #202020
Set the bucket-fill opacity to 40
Hit it a few times and try the texture in PAS.
Don't go any darker than that, don't do black #000000, just use #2020202
That will calm down most of these.
Use as few fills as you can get by with, at 40 opacity, try it with one or two fills to see how it looks before getting all crazy.
If you Save the image, but leave it open in the image editor, you can still Undo, if you go too far.

Probably best not to screw around with the normals maps, but you *may* want to very gingerly do a wash to the displacement map.
I don't really advise it, but you can try it if you want.
Feel welcome to generate new displacements and run a batch off to see how you do.

If you come by some great results, please do post them here with a link and we'll overwrite the old one with your new version.
Also, settings and such, share techniques here so we can all have some learning experience from it.
Thanks,
- Tony
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Post by cork279 »

These textures are amazing! I would use all of these, there are a lot of very good ones. They're all 512x512 and look better than the 2048x2048 ones I have made :P
I think it may be Mapzone. I thought that, if you increase the size in Mapzone, it'd only decrease the quality slightly, but it completely destroys the quality. I have to 'enhance' it slightly by sharpening the image in GIMP, just to make it look 'decent'. I may go back to just making 512x512 textures...
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
Tony

Post by Tony »

512 seems to be about right.
Big enough to get some detail in, and small enough to stay relatively light.
Even at that, most of these look best in-game scaled down to .1 .3, or .5 anyway. so 256 would be fine for many patterns.

It's a learning process, a very many of these really need further refinement. Enjoy,
- Tony
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Tony wrote:There happens to already be a folder named "tony'...
And... how difficult is it to make a folder?

For Windows users, all ya gotta do is save the zip file to the packages directory, and right-click it...
choose "Extract to..." and Windows will make a folder automatically with the zzyo name.
The dialogue will show you a path with the new folder name, just say "Yes".
The automation is implied.

And... even for those that don't already have a folder named "tony", they probably will.
Either by grabbing stuff I offer, or through a game version release.
If Hirato picks any of these to use in the next version, he'll probably use the name "tony" for the folder.
This way, the zzyo folder will not conflict with that, if that becomes the case.

My next package will probably be called, "ztex"... that's what my current development directory is named.

Here is what I suggest:

Create a folder named "tony"...
...go through the zzyo package and pick out the stuff you think you'll actually use, and put that in the tony folder.
When you've gotten the stuff you want out of there, zip it back up and archive it.
Delete that folder and keep your booty in the tony folder.
Be sure and copy/paste all the data from the package.cfg files for the sets you decide to use.

I honestly would not expect anyone to keep all of those in the texture menu, nor would I expect most folks to use the majority of these.
It's a library, check out what you want, leave the rest.

Yeah, that sounds like work *gasp*...
...it's still free textures that ya didn't have before.

That is what I am doing: I have the zzyo folder set up, and I'm culling out ones I don't like, and dumping the keepers into my tony folder.
As I begin to use these, I am fixing them up, toning them down, fixing the layers to suit my needs.

Something that I may do a little further down the road, is share the contents of my "tony" folder as another package.
That will be the tried and true, best cuts and slickest tweaks, and any other new ones I make.

*shrug*
It's all just practice man. Maybe not all the best products in the world just yet, but I gotta start somewhere.
It's been a few years for me, it takes time to get back in the groove man.
I'm still software shopping too. I want good tools, but I want to make sure I buy what I need and not a bunch of junk that I'll never use.

A'ight, back to it,
- Tony

EDIT:

P.S. - I hand coded that instruction page, used Notepad++. First xhtml/css I've touched in 4 years. I hope it runs right =)
Ima post a separate post with some tips, and I can edit/add to it as I come across stuff, to go with this package.
1) What "tony" folder are you talking about? Your RPG icons one? Sorry, I'm just used to the idea of using screennames as folder names, it's easy to tell that way who made what and such. As for the making a new folder, it's just one less hassling step to do. Maybe in the future, you could take your best textures (decided on by the people here), and compile them into a "Best Of: Tony's Textures" folder, to be included in new releases or something.
2) Your web page was beautiful.
3) Personally, I think that we don't really need that many textures now, you've pretty much got all of the bases covered pretty well. ON TO SKYBOXES!
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Tony

Post by Tony »

The "tony" folder I already have in my game files... following convention, I also created a folder for my own stuff already.
So... the "tony" folder already does exist. Gah.

Well, like I said man, Windows will automatically create a folder using the name from the zip file.
Download the zip file to the packages directory.
Right-click the zip file.
Choose "Extract All..."
The dialogue will prompt you with a location: C:something/PAS/pacakges/zzyo
Click: "Yes".

It really is that easy. No need to create a folder, Windows will do that for you, all ya gotta do is say, Yes.

Funny you should mention Skyboxes...
...that was sort of the next natural step. I have looked into that idea a bit.
Here is what I came up with. I think I'd like to make those in Blender.

I want to make some new character and player models too... so I'll spend some quality time getting accustomed to Blender soon enough.
I'd like to make a few human models, a few dood-toons and a few girl-toons... and a pig. And some Pies.

That'll probably be my next project. So while I'm mucking about with that, perhaps I can come up with some Skyboxes as a break from the characters.

For right now though, honestly... I want to get back into map/level building. All the graphic stuff is fun... to a certain degree.
But hey, all work and no play makes Tony a dull boy.
I don't think I'll make it, but I was hoping to have at least some rudimentary offering for the January contest... and that aint gonna happen if I spend all my spare time in a graphics-ware.

And darned if after making all those textures, I keep having to make one-offs for the level I'm building, even after all of that, gah!
Spend all that time making those, and then need different stuff anyway. Go figure, right?

Making models, rigging them, and then animating them is not light-duty. That stuff takes a lot of time, a LOT of time.
That's why you don't see any ready-to-play models anywhere available for free. The models yes... rigged and animated.. not hardly baby.
So, when I go to getting into that facet of the job... it'll be awhile before you see anything released. Probably at least a few months from now.
Gotta figure... even once you get a decent low-poly model looking good and ready...then the meticulous rigging and testing.. and then create at least several animation loops. I mean... a do-nothing model isn't much good. We want it to have a lot of cool cycles to work through... idle 1, idle 2, swim, run, walk, jump, shoot or use various weapons and spells...drink potion, eat, etc, etc, etc. That animation thing... takes a lot of time.

See ya later man, back to work,
- Tony
Tony

ZZYO Texture Package – Status Report

Post by Tony »

Greetings Game-Makers,

I have reviewed the input from the community on this texture package, and I appreciate your input.

Here is the status of this package release:

Development is Closed. Package as presented is "As-Is".
This particular and exact package will see no further development.

Here is what I suggest to you, as a user:

Pick out the textures that you will be most likely to use, and archive the rest in case you want to revisit them.
Load the ones you like now, and just hold on to the rest as inspiration for your own creations or to go back through later.
I seriously doubt that many or any of these will make it into any game releases, so be sure to grab these up for your archives.
The free-server where they are currently hosted will not be maintained, so they are indeed a limited-time offer.

Some of these are very bright, or "hot" under lights. Too much reflective power.
This is an easy fix, and you can do this yourself.
Simply locate the "S" layer, the "specular" image, denoted by this, appended to the file name," _s ".
Load that into Gimp or your favorite image editor, and get out your Bucket-Fill tool.
Set the fill-color to #202020 and set fill-opacity to 40.
In small increments, fill the image. Just do like 2 hits and then test the texture again.
Be sure to /calclight 1, and/or place a Light Entity near to the texture.

Do that until you obtain satisfactory results.

Also, be sensible about your lighting. If a texture washes out or burns when placed within 3 game-meters of a 255.255.255 light... guess what?
Maybe, just maybe, your light is too bright, m'k.

In a worst-case scenario, just delete the support textures and use only the diffuse map image.
That will be the first one listed in the texture script, with no appended suffix.
Use only the first line of script for the texture, and place it in a section of the code under"setshader stdworld".

Or, feel free to run off your own displacements and generate normals and speculators from the provided diffuse maps.

In a far-from-complete, unfinished game, that is still in development, where you must write and modify scripting, along with everything else...
...it is perfectly within reason for you to work with the images and textures to make them perform as you wish.

I have generously provided this large pool of content to the community for free. Use it as you wish, or simply delete it.

I have gone over these texture images again, and honestly...
I cannot see any reason to re-do the entire package of 170 or so textures merely for the benefit of a dozen folks that have downloaded this set.
Most of these are just fine, some need tweaked, some do not. For the dozen folks that downloaded these, you are perfectly capable of making these work for your needs. If not, do not use them then, simple enough, eh?

Now, as I have been using these, I have been modifying them if need be, and saving the resultant textures. After a while, and as I create more new ones (which I constantly do), I will most likely provide another package released to the community. But for now, this package development is complete.

Thank you for enjoying and using my image products, I wish all of you, all the best,
- Tony