CC0 model pack

Section for submitting new content to Sandbox, such as maps, code, etc.
Kids are also more than welcome to submit their work with parental permission!
User avatar
kddekadenz
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 11:02 am
Name: kdd
Contact:

CC0 model pack

Postby kddekadenz » October 26th, 2012, 4:01 pm

I did spend a evening in preparing 65 CC0 models for use in PAS. The license allows to reuse them in any way you want without giving credit.

Here are screenshots of some of the included models:
ImageImage
ImageImage

contents:

Code: Select all

bamboo
bomb
bushes
cardboards
clock_bomb
concrete_barriers
fern
fuel_can
gaz_tank
hesco
metal_barrel
money
pallet
palm_plant
palms
pillars_01
pillars_02
plastic_barrel
plastic_bomb
rocks
suitcase
trashes
tropical_plant
tropical_plant_02
weapon_box
wood_barrel


Everything is PAS-ready, you just need to download and copy&paste:

Download


Contribute:
Octocat.png
Github repository

Cloud 9 clone (graphical interface, easy to use)
Last edited by kddekadenz on November 8th, 2012, 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 2458
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm
IRC Username: CP

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby chocolatepie33 » October 27th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Quick note for other people, this guy is known as either Nobiax or Yughues (which kdd uses as the model folder), and has a lot more great work like this, feel free to check out his deviantart account.

Anyways, you should try to first convert these to .md3 because those are better in terms of filesize. Second, I found a few problems (not quite yours) with some of these:

screenshot_322971.png


screenshot_305845.png


I didn't get a chance to look at all of them, so there may be more. Also, maybe it's just me, but I've always thought opengameart looked better and was easier to understand as a folder name instead of oga (I have some textures from OGA), so you may want to test that.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!

Save the wiki!

User avatar
kddekadenz
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 11:02 am
Name: kdd
Contact:

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby kddekadenz » October 29th, 2012, 12:03 pm

chocolatepie33 wrote:Anyways, you should try to first convert these to .md3 because those are better in terms of filesize.

I can't get the plugins to work with Blender :(

chocolatepie33 wrote:Second, I found a few problems (not quite yours) with some of these:

PAS has really a lot of problems handeling Alpha textures :o

chocolatepie33 wrote:I didn't get a chance to look at all of them, so there may be more. Also, maybe it's just me, but I've always thought opengameart looked better and was easier to understand as a folder name instead of oga (I have some textures from OGA), so you may want to test that.

I choosed oga, because it is shorter - it saves per model 8 characters. 8*65=520 less characters :P
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 2458
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm
IRC Username: CP

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby chocolatepie33 » October 29th, 2012, 10:31 pm

kddekadenz wrote:I can't get the plugins to work with Blender


Trying using Noesis, it can import and export many of today's common formats. http://oasis.xentax.com/index.php?content=downloads. Also, if you get something about a web threat, I wouldn't be too worried, I always get that with that site for some reason.

kddekadenz wrote:PAS has really a lot of problems handeling Alpha textures


eh, there's not much you could do about that, other than edit the skins, but that would probably not work.

kddekadenz wrote:I choosed oga, because it is shorter - it saves per model 8 characters. 8*65=520 less characters


It may be shorter, but how much of a difference does that really make, other than typing? It kind of looks tacky as well. I also must question the necessity of doing so when you could just use a yughues/nobiax folder (depending on the name you prefer) inside packages; if you plan on adding other materials from opengameart, then sure, use the oga folder.

something to double check (it might've actually been a screwup on my part), somehow when I first loaded these they worked fine, however later on I got a
"could not load oga/yughues/tropical_plant_02.cfg" error or something like that, I looked at the main package.cfg and found that the specific line was
"exec packages/oga/yughues/tropical_plant/tropical_plant_02.cfg". Also, the two lines (one for tropical plant 1 and another for plant 2) were separate, whereas they should've been together.

Generally, I feel that these would work as great replacements for many of the models we currently have which have constricting licenses, but your choice of models (e.g. the bombs and such) could've been better... I'd like to see you adapt this for Sandbox use.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!

Save the wiki!

User avatar
kddekadenz
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 11:02 am
Name: kdd
Contact:

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby kddekadenz » October 30th, 2012, 3:22 pm

chocolatepie33 wrote:Trying using Noesis, it can import and export many of today's common formats. http://oasis.xentax.com/index.php?content=downloads.

Thank you, great tool. Does run fine on my Linux OS using Wine.

chocolatepie33 wrote:if you plan on adding other materials from opengameart, then sure, use the oga folder.

I do, but I fear I will have few free time in the future.
So I would like to ask the guys here to help me. I setted up a repository on github: https://github.com/kddekadenz/pas-cc0-models and cloned it using Cloud9: https://c9.io/kddekadenz/pas-cc0-models
Cloud9 has a graphical interface, it is easy to edit stuff, even if you are a newbie.

chocolatepie33 wrote:something to double check (it might've actually been a screwup on my part), somehow when I first loaded these they worked fine, however later on I got a
"could not load oga/yughues/tropical_plant_02.cfg" error or something like that, I looked at the main package.cfg and found that the specific line was
"exec packages/oga/yughues/tropical_plant/tropical_plant_02.cfg". Also, the two lines (one for tropical plant 1 and another for plant 2) were separate, whereas they should've been together.

Thank you, I fixed it. It has to be /tropical_plant_02/tropical_plant_02.cfg

chocolatepie33 wrote:I'd like to see you adapt this for Sandbox use.

Go ahead and add them yourself: https://c9.io/kddekadenz/pas-cc0-models ;)
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 2458
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm
IRC Username: CP

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby chocolatepie33 » October 31st, 2012, 8:24 pm

kddekadenz wrote:Thank you, great tool. Does run fine on my Linux OS using Wine.


Glad I could help.

kddekadenz wrote:Thank you, I fixed it. It has to be /tropical_plant_02/tropical_plant_02.cfg


OK, so it wasn't just me.

kddekadenz wrote:Go ahead and add them yourself


I'll get working on that one. Maybe you should try to expand the license designation into CC0 and CC-BY-SA or something similar, perhaps? It's incredibly hard to find high-quality models that actually apply to Sandbox that also happen to be public domain.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!

Save the wiki!

User avatar
kddekadenz
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 11:02 am
Name: kdd
Contact:

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby kddekadenz » November 1st, 2012, 7:43 am

chocolatepie33 wrote: It's incredibly hard to find high-quality models that actually apply to Sandbox that also happen to be public domain.

It isn't:
opengameart.org CC0 models: http://opengameart.org/art-search-advan ... t_type_tid[]=10&field_art_licenses_tid[]=4

blendswap.com CC0 models: http://www.blendswap.com/?license=CC0
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 2458
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm
IRC Username: CP

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby chocolatepie33 » November 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm

kddekadenz wrote:It isn't.


I looked at those sites you linked to, OpenGameArt doesn't really have much in terms of 3D models (beyond the Yughues/Nobiax models), there are quite a few but none of them match the average quality of most Sandbox models. Blendswap is a lot better, but many of the models there are actually designed for render or animation (as in movie, not 3D playermodel) purpose, so it would take a little bit of work to get that done. Additionally, many models don't exactly fit the general theme of Sandbox. If someone needs models for their game, they should be able to get their own.

As I mentioned previously, I don't think these should be completely limited to just CC0 licenses or to just OGA (I assume you plan on that anyways, considering you linked to BlendSwap).
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!

Save the wiki!

User avatar
kddekadenz
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 11:02 am
Name: kdd
Contact:

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby kddekadenz » November 3rd, 2012, 8:31 am

It is named CC0 model pack :P

I would agree to add WTFPL, Zlib and CC-BY as possible licenses. We need to watch out in which way we should attribute the author, if we use CC-BY ones, though. I have to rename the project - maybe PAS Open Source model pack?

I currently have a weird problem: I converted the models to .md3 and deleted the old .obj files, but when I add it to github, it does not remove the obj files in the repository :o
If I want to have a new name for the repository, I think I need to create a new one, so this does not matter much.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox

User avatar
kddekadenz
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 11:02 am
Name: kdd
Contact:

Re: CC0 model pack

Postby kddekadenz » November 3rd, 2012, 8:41 am

Updated the links to the resource pages:

opengameart.org CC0 models: http://opengameart.org/art-search-advan ... t_type_tid[]=10&field_art_licenses_tid[]=4
opengameart.org CC-BY 3.0 models: http://opengameart.org/art-search-advan ... t_type_tid[]=10&field_art_licenses_tid[]=2

blendswap.com CC0 models: http://www.blendswap.com/?license=CC0
blendswap.com CC-BY 3.0 models: http://www.blendswap.com/?license=CC-BY

I will create the new repository later this day.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox


Return to “Donate Content To Sandbox And The Community”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests