Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

My Ideas

Section for submitting new content to Sandbox, such as maps, code, etc.
Kids are also more than welcome to submit their work with parental permission!
Blitz
Name: Imanuel

My Ideas

Post by Blitz »

I have ideas for Sandbox that can made it really simple and fun!

First up, Character Creator.
The Character Creator is a part of Sandbox that allows you to model your own 3D character. With an extremely simple interface, you can make walking animations, "napping" animations, and more.

Second, Simple model names.
When you want to load a model, instead of the names being "dcp_whatever", they should be, for example, the palm tree, "Vegetation: Palm Tree" or "Plant: Palm Tree". Are you getting this?

Third, Weapons and Tools.
Can't have an ultra-fun game without 'em! But wait, WEAPONS?! No, silly! Kid-friendly weapons! Like a Water Gun, or a Heat-Seeking Confetti Rocket Launcher, or a Laser Gun! Zap your enemies with it and they'll vaporize into a pile of ash like in cartoons! Or maybe an Electric Sphere Launcher! When another person gets it by it, they'll be paralyzed temporarily. Get hit enough, and you'll get vaporized! There can also be a Manipulator Beam! You can use it to mimic telekinesis and lift objects like boxes and other players! PLEASE add these to the game and more! The game needs tools!

Fourth, Vehicles.
The alternate form of transportation! When you run over others, they'll be flattened and stunned for a while. Get flattened enough, and you'll turn into a pancake. They'll then respawn. Planes, depending on what type they are, can use and Ice Vulcan (Freezes others) or Water Nukes ("kills" others instantly) and more! PLEASE add these too!

Fifth, More Controls and a Simpler Console
There should be simpler and easier controls. You should be able to edit properties of an object after you have set properties already. There should also be a simpler console. You can change walking speed by putting "/walkspeed (number here)". You should also be able to change other properties like jump height (jumpheight number here) and a lot others. The console text should also be easier to understand. For example, instead of saying "the variable gravity is blah blah blah" it should say "The gravity can only go up to 10.0 and 1000.0" Same with jump height and the others. Do you understand what I'm getting at? Good.

That's all I can think of. I'll put more when I think of more. I hope you like my ideas! ;)
Meh.
Eagle
Name: Vickie Eagle

Re: My Ideas

Post by Eagle »

Hi Blitz and welcome to the board! :D

Always~
Vickie ;)
I put time in a bottle ... just saying :))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Thank you! Like my ideas?
Meh.
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

Blitz wrote:I have ideas for Sandbox that can made it really simple and fun!
First up, Character Creator.
The Character Creator is a part of Sandbox that allows you to model your own 3D character. With an extremely simple interface, you can make walking animations, "napping" animations, and more.
allowing people to model is not our responsibility, and we simply don't have time, there are significantly larger projects such as blender that are meant for character creation
hint: if you suck at animation, use robochimp's rig, it'll allow you to just use his animations, and ragdoll even
When you want to load a model, instead of the names being "dcp_whatever", they should be, for example, the palm tree, "Vegetation: Palm Tree" or "Plant: Palm Tree". Are you getting this?
yes, I understand, but we use getmodelname #, which returns the path to the model when making the lists; personally I find paths more useful - we don't really gain anything by implementing this
Third, Weapons and Tools.
Can't have an ultra-fun game without 'em! But wait, WEAPONS?! No, silly! Kid-friendly weapons! Like a Water Gun, or a Heat-Seeking Confetti Rocket Launcher, or a Laser Gun! Zap your enemies with it and they'll vaporize into a pile of ash like in cartoons! Or maybe an Electric Sphere Launcher! When another person gets it by it, they'll be paralyzed temporarily. Get hit enough, and you'll get vaporized! There can also be a Manipulator Beam! You can use it to mimic telekinesis and lift objects like boxes and other players! PLEASE add these to the game and more! The game needs tools!
Water wars is still being worked on... although all progress that has been made was daniel_san's water pistol :P
Fourth, Vehicles.
The alternate form of transportation! When you run over others, they'll be flattened and stunned for a while. Get flattened enough, and you'll turn into a pancake. They'll then respawn. Planes, depending on what type they are, can use and Ice Vulcan (Freezes others) or Water Nukes ("kills" others instantly) and more! PLEASE add these too!
doing vehicles properly would require a LOT of effort, and it's simply beyond my ability - I'm more interesting in the RPG at present, but I might consider transport, such as a good ol' fashion pony in the meantime :P (doesn't mean it'll happen anytime soon)
Fifth, More Controls and a Simpler Console
There should be simpler and easier controls. You should be able to edit properties of an object after you have set properties already. There should also be a simpler console. You can change walking speed by putting "/walkspeed (number here)". You should also be able to change other properties like jump height (jumpheight number here) and a lot others. The console text should also be easier to understand. For example, instead of saying "the variable gravity is blah blah blah" it should say "The gravity can only go up to 10.0 and 1000.0" Same with jump height and the others. Do you understand what I'm getting at? Good.
just let me enumerate them
  • properties? what properties? do you mean entity attributes? in which case just use F3 (quickedit) or /entset (it's either . or , you need to press)
  • /movespeed # to change movement speed
  • /jumpvel to change jump height
  • when typing a variable into the console, people would prefer to see it's current value; seeing the range is also a boon, but we currently only do that when the users tries to set it to something outside the range, ie /movespeed 1 will tell you the range is 10..1000
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Obsidian
Former Staff
IRC Username: Katana

Post by Obsidian »

Hirato wrote:
yes, I understand, but we use getmodelname #, which returns the path to the model when making the lists; personally I find paths more useful - we don't really gain anything by implementing this
From what I've seen, even the major proprietary engines (such as VALVe's Source engine) use internal reference names anyways for their props/models/whatnot instead of a prettified name, especially in console. It's easier to type it out and remember it that way, to be honest.
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

github: https://github.com/damianb/
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

This is waaaaaaaaaay too complicated... :shock:
Meh.
Chaze007
Name: William
IRC Username: Chaze007

Post by Chaze007 »

It's not complicated at all once you get to understand it, for the character creator that is highly unlikeable within this type of engine. ALTHOUGH you can create premade models and attachments, and maybe have them vary out within the game, as far as animations, they'd be the same.

About the paths, Obsidian and Hirato are right having DCP/Vegetree or whatever, is an easier way to find the path and edit it
which if it was Plant:Tree you'd have to search through all the folders just to find the model and edit it to your standards. Now you can change the folders and path names! like for instance, for my game - MIST the paths are /furniture/chair and /storage/crate and /literature/book and such.

Hope I've helped you out a bit.

~Chaze007
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

OH! I get the DCP thing now! :D I think I'm getting this now! Maybe I'll understand everything in maybe...2 weeks?

P.S. I've just finished my schoolwork, so I'm basically on Winter Break! :D :D
Meh.