Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Can i make a full game with sandbox?

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
midas
Name: midas

Can i make a full game with sandbox?

Post by midas »

New to sandbox here.I was searching for a game maker in linux.I am a hobbyist game developer and i 've made some games in darkbasic and 3dgamestudio.I want to ask some questions.Can we make a game with sandbox?I mean with AI,pathfinding,custom models,animation, etc etc?Or its just a tool for kids to create maps?

I tried it for half an hour and i think its great from what i saw.But i didnt see any games.I googled,search youtube, not even a single game.So as a level editor is awesome. But can we make a full game?
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Can i make a full game with sandbox?

Post by arcones »

Have you checked around the site and around the forum? Because from your question it seems you haven't...

Show Off Your Work-This is where all the upcoming games' threads are (as well as released maps)

Projects using PAS-I believe this is rather self-explanatory...

Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
midas

Post by midas »

Sorry arcones but in the forum there is no game that even shows a character on the screenshots.Npc or player.Anyway i go the idea.Thanks for the responce.
owenisred
Name: Owen

Post by owenisred »

Yea - you can do pretty much anything with sandbox, and a bit of coding in places. Check out saurbraten cube 2 if you want to know what can be done with sandbox
I'm taking modelling requests again - any models you want created,skinned or animated (or all 3) leave a post here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2704&start=0

My tutorial site - still under construction, but lots of good stuff there:

http://pasandbox.webs.com/
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

@midas, almost all the games are in first-person. Simply press 9 when in FPS mode to switch to third person.
midas

Post by midas »

Anyway my english are bad so maybe you didnt understand me.I played with the engine and i surely know how to change the camera for first to third person.I didnt see any game with animated npcs and other than default models as players.I am searching for options cause i want to make a game in linux.Of course as a hobbyist i cant just go and write a game in opengl.

Its a nice tool but there is no "real" game been made.No offence but when i say "real" game you know what i am talking about.Check some "user friendly" game making software to see some games.I searched the web for tutorials cause i know that the difficult part of making a game is AI and the ability to create any senario that you want with code.Level making is of course essential, but a level is not the game.

So if anyone can answer me this.Can we make a "game"?Not collecting coins or jumping obstacles...A game.

Just to be clear i anot a fanboy or a programmer from some other game maker.I just want to know my options.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Ah! Okay, I understand you completely. But Sandbox is still in it's early development stages. There is basic AI (check out the SVN: Development) in Marystorm.bat

It's basically a matter of allowing Hirato the time he needs to get it working, while bugging him enough so that he does :D

I'm holding onto this engine because I want to see what it will turn out to be. A basic game is very much possible (with AI).
midas

Post by midas »

Ok thanx once more arcones for the replies.