Tritium - An MMORPG.

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use ?)
RonnieNeeley
Name: Ronnie Neeley

Re: "Project TS" - An MMORPG.

Postby RonnieNeeley » August 10th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Tritium - An MMORPG ::
"Like" Tritium on Facebook ::
My Music ::

AndyLangel
Name: Andy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AndyLangel » August 12th, 2010, 6:49 pm

If you guys want i can help out with coding, like before :P It'll be a work in progress however- still wrapping my head around C++, which might take until the end of the year, but with it still being summer, i am enjoying my last week by doing nothing at all, so as soon as school starts ill start reading up on it again.

As far as what you will need programed, that up to you- ill take a look at the source code again, see if i can figure out how everything works. Other than that, there can actually be a lot done with the Cube 2 language, which can also be modified i believe- once again ill have to check the source code.

But yeah, ill try and keep myself on track.

Learning C/C++
... Slowly,
...... Slowly,
.........Slowly.

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby chocolatepie33 » August 12th, 2010, 6:53 pm

How are you learning the C++? Like, books, websites, stuff like that... I have 3 books now, but no compiler to try out what I learn...

RonnieNeeley

Postby RonnieNeeley » August 12th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Andy, If you would like to help with coding, we are still fine with that.

All we want is a definitive answer, yes or no, we don't care which. It's the "I don't know... I want to, but..." that we don't like.

But if you want to help, yes, we are still welcoming. And again, we aren't expecting you to do everything, Dan will probably be the main coder (unless you end up taking that on). So yeah, just start learning C++ and Cubescript, we don't need any actual coding right now (besides the simple stuff I am doing with adding textures.)

If you are still interested a week from now, I'll give you the link to our website with every little bit of ProjectTS information (Basically, our archive of the game).

I understand your lack of interest, I feel that way about other things right now (namely music), and it saddens me to see you waste your talent and ability. Maybe working with other people will make you more interested, because there are 2 other people working on the game, it's not all up to one person.

Anyways, yeah, think about it. We need to know if you are really in so we can start shaping the project that way.

RonnieNeeley

Postby RonnieNeeley » August 12th, 2010, 6:59 pm

AndyLangel

Postby AndyLangel » August 12th, 2010, 7:10 pm

@ Ronnie

I not a straight answer kinda person- but yes i want to help, so if i go about changing my mind, you have the full and complete right to change it back for me ^.^ At any cost. I know i will hit a point where i'll be all like, "OHH I WANT TO MAKE ANOTHER GAME!" and when i get to that point, do not hesitate to beat me until i no longer want to make another game, and only wish to continue with Project TS. But with that being said, yes. Hope that answers it, i am now your code slave.

@ chocolatepie

A really good compiler i love using is Microsoft's Visual Studio Series (For C++ that is Microsoft Visual C++ Express) which is free. It can be found by googling "Microsoft Visual C++ Express"

It is a really nice compiler :D if you like microsoft, if you dont, try Borland's C++ Compilers they work nice too.

Learning C/C++
... Slowly,
...... Slowly,
.........Slowly.

InHumanUnit
Name: Ian, Haiku, I got alot ;)
Location: Toyko, Japan. Currently in Illonis, Round Lake in America for secret purposes

Postby InHumanUnit » August 12th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Dude, I just got a QUAKE II demo. Its awesome.

XEON BOX GAMES - XBG is a blast from the past of a pirate mast to a cars thats fast.
You dare challenge me to Halo:Reach? You must die!

RonnieNeeley

Postby RonnieNeeley » August 12th, 2010, 7:21 pm

AndyLangel

Postby AndyLangel » August 12th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Well all the ideas i have for adding things will only make the game like another- though some people (Such as me) hate combat based games, so a nice alternative route is always preferably, and i assume you and Dan have steered away from a fully combat based game (Which is good). What annoyed me before i can care less about now, i just want to make a game that actually works :P as i really don't have a good record going.

As far as development goes, adding skills shouldn't be even on the planning board as of yet- even making the maps is way off typical structure of a game. You can add content yes, but without a solid framework, you masterpiece will just be a pile of lots of cool things, but you need that structure to hold it all together. Though, being we lack C++ knowledge, i guess thats all we can do to make progress.

Anyways, the main point is that we should focus on the mainframe of the game, the framework- this is broken into the bones of the project- you have your plans and your story, and that makes up about half of the framework- the engine will cover for the other half, but i think we need to do some serious work on the engine before we get too far into this project. We need to change the engine to allow everything that we want to add to it.

Now the engine dictates the power of the language, and the language is what the game will be written in- this language is the Cube language. So we need to figure out what we want the language to support, then edit the engine so that the language supports it. Now feel free to replace the wes with yous :P i found we easier to type though. And by you i mean You and Dan, as i refuse to impreed my corruptuous thoughts onto your diabolical plans. Never mind the the world that arn't even words.

Mainly,m i think the engine could use a good overhaul, as it currently won't get you a game worth anything of much value. If your looking for an income, you have to make a game worth that income, and that is not very easy. The game will have to be good in design, execution, and presentation- the design is pretty much laid out, and i am sure that is more than what people will be willing to pay for. The execution is in the Language, and that needs to be worked on. The presentation is in the engine, and that needs an overhaul.

Some things i want to change to give the engine a modern commercial feel are:

Dynamic lighting, so that you have have a sun that can move across the sky, and cast dynamic shadows that will move with the movement of the light- not sure how hard this will be- but i know that if you looking for a simple system, its pretty simple.

Improved Physics, not sure how the current engine works, but i am sure it can use some updates, like wind and stuff, so we have moving flags and trees, and possibly working sailboats?

Better Particle System, because the one in the engine now is pretty limited, so i want to expand this so we can get some realistic volumetric effects.

Filters and Effects, such as Line of Sight, and Light columns- this stuff looks AMAZING and really i don't think it takes too much to add it.

And the otherthings, whatever i missed here.

I'll need to learn how to do all that ontop of learning C++, but i know people and i have sources, so i think that in the end it is all possible- and most of that stuff won't be needed until the end, which is a good thing.

The main thing we need to be concerned about coding wise is the engine and what we need to add to it. Other than that, i think the engine is pretty nice- but when its done, it should look like something that would be sold and marketed today.

However, on another note, good graphics done not make a good game.
But yeah, yet another essay by me :P

Learning C/C++
... Slowly,
...... Slowly,
.........Slowly.

RonnieNeeley

Postby RonnieNeeley » August 12th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Return to “Project Discussion - Promote/Show Off Your Games, Mods, Maps, Etc!”