Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Unity Gardens

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
VieEnRas

Unity Gardens

Post by VieEnRas »

This isn't a map for a game to play on, but it is going to be a map for a current MU* I play on. The game is The Cortex (based on Firefly/Serenity) and I have a character who runs a greenhouse in New Dunsmuir on Beaumonde. Figured it would give me some practice. It's far from finished and I'll update it as I get more done, but here's what I do have so far:

Outside/front:

Inside storefront:

Main Greenhouse:

Reserved section (where my character has his personal 'projects' going on):

Suggestions are very much welcomed and I am quite capable in handling constructive criticism. :)
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Unity Gardens

Post by arcones »

Hmm, so if I understand correctly, this is just to test mapping skills? Sounds great!

I think it would be fun to have different plants which when you walk up to them, prompt a GUI that tells you about that specific plant/tree/whatnot. Also, once the mapping is done, putting in some lights in key positions would make this map really come alive. This map has some great potential, keep it up ;D

Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
VieEnRas

Post by VieEnRas »

Thanks a bunch! Yes, it's basically a test map to play around with Sandbox as of now. Haven't played around with lights as of yet, so I will definitely look forward to that. GUI - oy... yeah, I'll get to that too. Small steps... I'll get there. :)
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

I'd recommend putting lights in the map once your finished.

Oy is right, GUI's look difficult at first glance, but they aren't. But you're right, small steps, you'll get there! Can't wait to see more!

Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

wow, this looks really cool... hey Arc, maybe Mike could add this as a cool, natural eyecandy/sample map for Sandbox... Ya think so?
Are the ground textures (inside the greenhouse) blended textures, or your own, or what?
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
VieEnRas

Post by VieEnRas »

The ground textures I got from MaPZone as suggested by another board. I'm still playing around with that as well. I could make my own in Photoshop, but, well, I'll just chalk it up to trying to fit 30 hours of stuff into 24 hour days - I've got a bunch of other projects going on right now, you know, 'tis the season and I've got a 3 year old who is super excited. I have to finish up a few sewing projects before clicking back in to pick it up again.

Though, if I might note, I could use some help figuring out how to get the 3d plant studio to work with Sandbox. I know it's possible, but at the moment, I'm finding the objects are importing with only one color instead of having colored flowers and fruits. Also, since it will export animation of time-lapse of growing plants, it may be an interesting 'game' for the greenhouse to actually grow the plants. I do have other ideas for that as well, but again, I'll get to that when I get to the bridge! Any help with Plant Studio would be great.

But speaking of the sewing, I best be getting back to that.