Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Metroid Fusion Inspired Map

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Re: Metroid Fusion Inspired Map

Post by cork279 »

kddekadenz wrote:By the way, why does it censore s c r a p?
Take the 'S' and you will see :D
It censors bad language, as well as words involving bad language, for some reason.

@GigaShadow - Nice maps! :D
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
GigaShadow
Name: Dominic
IRC Username: GigaShadow

Post by GigaShadow »

Leo_V117 wrote:
GigaShadow wrote:Many more Screenshots in a zipped package! Check them out!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... l&hl=en_US
You could just upload them to tinypic or somewhere... Rather than using a Zip file.
Well I'm just used to using google docs but thanks for the suggestion. I would use the forum's uploader but it doesn't seem to work well. Anyway I hope you like the screenshots.
Need Texture Help? Pm me and I can help you out with all of your texturing needs.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

You could always use either a) an upload site, like sendspace, or b) a file-storage site, e.g. screencast or mediafire.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

I really like the screenshots, can't wait for the map ;)
GigaShadow

Post by GigaShadow »

Sector 4 is now fully functional. Here are some screenshots of it: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwwdRf ... k&hl=en_US
Sorry but I like using google docs, It shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
Need Texture Help? Pm me and I can help you out with all of your texturing needs.
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Post by cork279 »

I really like the screenshots, they look very atmospheric!
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

cork279 wrote:I really like the screenshots, they look very atmospheric!
I agree, theyre pretty nice!
GigaShadow

Post by GigaShadow »

Thanks. I'll be working on the next two sectors now. After I am finished I will have to make forward and backward versions of all of them so that you pop out in the right place when switching levels. Then I will have to make even more duplicates of those that go to different duplicates of the main sector so that you can revisit sector one, two, ect... without re-sealing the doors to the other sectors that come after that. In other words I will be making many duplicates with slight variations so that the game runs smoothly. Once all the sectors are done and all the duplicates are made the game will be finished! Horray! That won't be for a while though. I'll make sure to post updates on my progress regularly until then.

Well, time to create the water sector.It will be called sector 2. I will still be adding things to other sectors of course (remember I never really FINISH making a level) but I will focus on making the water sector now. This one is going to be really hard because after you add the water it is really hard to add anything so I will have to make sure everything is completely done before I add any water at all! Not to mention the Frustrating effects that materials such as water can have on height maps. Well, that's all for now. I'll post more when I've made significant progress on the water sector.
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

I've seen all the screenshots, and I really liked the ones with the walls, but especially the 'bright tunnel' looks really squarish, which can be changed, you might need some experience, but if you keep trying, it'll get better ;) (I have a work in progress cave map, so I know ;) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeMDXCg85E 4:30)).
And you can delete water without destroying anything else with selecting all water and use the 'air' material, and to avoid the problems with water + heighfieldmode geometrics, you should use the same geometry you used to make the walls (geometry) for the water ;)

The game is looking great, keep working on it ;)
GigaShadow

Post by GigaShadow »

Runescapedj wrote:you can delete water without destroying anything else with selecting all water and use the 'air' material, and to avoid the problems with water + heighfieldmode geometrics, you should use the same geometry you used to make the walls (geometry) for the water ;)
Oh, I know that but it is still a pain when you accidentally use the wrong grid size and the height map explodes. And when height maps overlap...BOOM. That's just the annoying thing about heightmaps. I really wish you could merge height maps on the walls with ones on the ceiling or floor.That would be so helpful. Another thing about water is since it is a material it cannot be bent so I can't make a river flow down or up.That's probably my biggest problem with making a water map. I might just try to use alpha/noclip + a moving water texture on certain parts to get the right effect. Well, I'll figure it out eventually. Until then I'll be struggling to solve my water map problems.