Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

A big project going underway(help advice welcomed)

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: A big project going underway(help advice welcomed)

Post by arcones »

No I don't. However if you need some textures I could be persuaded to help ;D

I'm not sure what you mean by cartoony textures... Could you clarify perhaps? (I understand what type of textures you want)
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
stealthpanda
Name: Stealthpanda

Post by stealthpanda »

lol, you would ask either of the brothers which road his brother would tell you to take, then take the opposite road.
Current projects: an unamed rpg
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Okay, well that answers the riddle for me :D (I had given it some thought)

But what about the textures?
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
iTech
Name: Brian

Post by iTech »

A great website here, http://www.cgtextures.com/ has some really great textures. But, all you have to do is put them in your sandbox files after you copied them.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@itech: cgtextures licenses the textures in a way that we can't really use them that well.
Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:
- Private or commercial use
- Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
- Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
- Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

It is NOT permitted to:
- Sell or distribute any of these textures in an unmodified form, or where the derived product you are selling or distributing is a Texture or a collection of Textures. IN OTHER WORDS: Do not sell or distribute any of these textures (modified or not) by itself or in a texture pack, material, clipart, website theme or s(c)rapbooking pack!
- Bundle the images with software such as paint programs, 3D programs, photo-kiosk software.
- Reselling or redistributing the images at 'print on demand' services (mugs, t-shirts, mouse mats, etc)
- Use the textures in graphic design themes or templates sold to multiple customers on digital market places (this includes templates of websites and business cards and e-cards).
- Selling or redistributing skins for laptops, phones and other devices, created with images from CGTextures.
- Stockpile images with the goal of making a local texture library.
- Using a special program (spider, leecher) or script to automatically download all Textures on the CGTextures website. Users who try to mass download will be banned from the website automatically.
- Interfere with the security or otherwise abuse, disrupt, place excessive loads on, or attempt to gain unauthorized access to the CGTextures website or any system resources or networks connected to this website.
- Release the Textures or derivative products under Open Source Licences[/quote]
If you'll notice the bolded text, it's likely that using the textures in Sandbox would defy the license in some way. I'm not entirely sure about to what extent you could interpret the license, but I firmly believe that I'm going to try to stay away from CGTextures. I'll go there for texture ideas, but not to get anything.
stealthpanda wrote:ALSO, I NEED SOME GOOD FANTASY-LIKE, YET CARTOONY TEXTURES to use for this environment(as in grass, dirt, leaves, bark, branches, and wood)any contributions will be appreciated.
Like arc said, what's "cartoony" mean? cel-shaded? Like this?
or see here:
http://chasemadethis.com/2010/10/17/jus ... rning-lol/
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
stealthpanda
Name: Stealthpanda

Post by stealthpanda »

All right, so I will soon have some time to work on my mapping more. In the mean time, I have done some neat concept art for the first temple(the temple of wind) that will be under the great tree. It will have a lot of unique jumping puzzles, mazes, some possible combat, and of course a storyline that will gradually unfold. I hope to get some more screenshots uploaded soon, so keep checking this topic people.

Oh, and I DESPERATELY NEED A RECCOMENDATION OF SOME GOOD TEXTURING SOFTWARE, as I aim to make my own textures for this game to fit my needs

-all for now 8-)
Current projects: an unamed rpg
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Post by cork279 »

I usually use MaPZone to make textures (you can also use NeoTextureEdit). But you can always use Photoshop (if you have it) or GIMP (free) (or ArtWeaver, Inkscape or Paint.NET) to edit them, or make them from scratch.

But I recommend MaPZone and/or GIMP.
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

If you want to make cartoonish textures, Inkscape may be the best choice ;)
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox