Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Wolf3D Map

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
johnno56
Name: John

Wolf3D Map

Post by johnno56 »

I have created a crude map of level 1 of the old DOS game of Wolfenstien3D. Yes, I know the game is not "kid friendly", but it is just a map. I am yet to start on the scripting. I am going to pester you guys to no end on that point.

I have made an overall screenshot of the map. Hopefully, I have the code setup correctly. Opinions and suggestions are more than welcome. Yes, even criticism!

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
GoBologna120
Name: Tim
IRC Username: GoBologna

Re: Wolf3D Map

Post by GoBologna120 »

Looks rather monotonous. Might I suggest some variation in textures, or possibly some mapmodels?
Yay. ^_^
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Excellent. Constructive criticism.

I agree. It is rather monotonous. About as exciting as watching paint dry or mould growing.

My original attempt had each "room" with a different wall texture and the connecting "hallway" were wood-panelled. It was also created using Sauerbraten. (Impressive collection of mapmodels and textures.) This map was created with Sandbox and was kept "simple" to display the overall map.

Mapmodels have not been decided on yet. I am assuming in reference to the decor. ie: wall lights, furniture etc

If you have any suggestions as to what it needs, I am all ears.

The map was created by experimenting with the mouse and keyboard. I did not have any documentation at the time. Since then, wiki as well as forum members have been very helpful.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

J

Live long and prosper.
GoBologna120

Post by GoBologna120 »

If you're going for a creepy feel, try using some torches on the walls. For extra effect, put fire particles on the torch and a short range orange light. I used that here:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1981/s ... t49528.png

NOTE: I'm using the Dev Version, so it may look a little different on yours.

Also, you might want to add items that you can pick up and use.
Yay. ^_^
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Great looking torches! I will try that which you suggest. Your "rooms" are huge! Mine will give you claustrophobia... I have only experimented with lighting and am not very good at it yet. But, I do not plan to give up. I noticed when I start Sandbox, the "House" demo loads. It has sound. ie: the fire crackles. I am aware that sounds can be added to a map. Can ANY sound be added? I mean, can any sound be imported from an external source? What format is required? ie: mp3, ogg, wav, midi? How would that be scripted?

Sorry if my questions are too basic. Basic is all I know.

Thanks for the advise.

J

Live long and prosper.
GoBologna120

Post by GoBologna120 »

You have to add a mapsound to your map to hear the sounds. If you look at the .cfg, you'll find what sounds load with your map. I think you can add any sound as long as it's in a supported format. Heck, you can have a waterfall make gun sounds if you want. :lol: I highly recomend .ogg files. Come to think of it, that may not be a bad idea... ;)

And yeah. I like large areas where the player can roam freely and do whatever.

EDIT: For the torches, you can use the fireplace sound. I just tried it out.
Yay. ^_^
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

the sounds can be either wav of ogg, there's 3 other formats too, but they require additional libraries to be installed on non-windows systems, those formats are as follows...

MP3 - requires smpeg (present in windows packages)
MID - requires timidity (as far as I can tell, windows uses it's own synthesizers)
MOD - requires mikmod, no idea how it works out on windows

so vorbis is obviously the best to use for patent, legal, and compatibility issues
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

GoBalogna120,

Thanks for the sound advise. ;) I will try it out as soon as I can.

Hirato,

Thank you also for the assist. My Linux machine is fully loaded for all the formats you suggested.

Looks like ogg it is.

J

Live long and prosper.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

GoBalogna120,

Just remembered. I finally worked out how to put doors into my map!! It may not sound like a big deal for you guys, but for this noob, woo hoo! I followed an example with Sauerbraten and applied it to Sandbox. Had to print out the mapmodel numbers and the Trigger types/states. For doors to open automatically, I placed the door in edit mode using /newent mapmodel 110 10 5. "10" to open as you approach and close a few seconds after going through. Cool. Using "11" (locked) as no drama. Placed a key. Scripted the trigger to unlock. Cool. The doors are still huge. I cannot figure out how to reduce them in size (mdlscale did not work) so it looks like I will have to up scale my map. Looks like your "wide open spaces" is the way to go.

J

Live long and prosper.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

mdlscale definitely does work, I have used it a lot, but maybe try using a bigger number to see the effect? It should also be its own line. Here is the example from my golem md3.cfg which made cabzilla:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBpA7pTvXw

Code: Select all

md3load golem.md3
md3pitch .25

md3skin golemesh ./skin.jpg

md3anim "idle|sink" 0 2
//md3anim "idle attack" 2 12 
md3anim "forward|backward|left|right|swim" 15 10 
md3anim "punch|shoot" 26 11 
md3anim pain 38 5 6
md3anim "jump|mapmodel" 45 11 5
//md3anim "jump attack" 56 12 
md3anim dying 69 11 
md3anim dead 79 1

mdlscale 5000
mdltrans 0 0 58
mdlspec -1
Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!