Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Iolar

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
donnelly517
Name: Evan Donnelly

Iolar

Post by donnelly517 »

I have been working on an rpg for the past few weeks. It is called Iolar (it was previously named Donn, which is obviously just a shortened version of my name. Decided that was stupid.) I want it to have a big, open world, divided into regions that are characteristically different from each other. It will have quests but my main focus is to, in the end, have many types of creatures and enemies from various legends and mythology. Everything from giant rats to the Cthulu will be considered. I've made lots of static models but I still need animated models before the game can ever be complete. I posted to ask if people think this is a good idea, and if I should continue. Anybody who wants to help is welcome as well.

Note : This is not a commercial game and I have no plans to sell it.

Pierres Swamp, an explorable area.
An Iron Sword
Fire Dart, a basic fire spell.
Helping to map Broken Shield and Revelade Revolution.
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: Iolar

Post by kddekadenz »

donnelly517 wrote:I have been working on an rpg for the past few weeks. It is called Iolar (it was previously named Donn, which is obviously just a shortened version of my name. Decided that was stupid.)
Your name sounds similar to my RPG Kelgar. It started as a contest entry to a RPG contest on this site (which I won) and I decided to continue to develop it. There are currently 3 active team members (including me) and 3 passive team members.
donnelly517 wrote: I want it to have a big, open world, divided into regions that are characteristically different from each other. It will have quests but my main focus is to, in the end, have many types of creatures and enemies from various legends and mythology. Everything from giant rats to the Cthulu will be considered.
Do you think you have the resources to achieve this? This would take years and the longterm motivation is a beast.
donnelly517 wrote: I've made lots of static models but I still need animated models before the game can ever be complete.
I do have the some problem with Kelgar. I can create static models, but I cannot animate them. It is really hard to find a good 3D modeler, which is not involved in other projects.
donnelly517 wrote: I posted to ask if people think this is a good idea, and if I should continue. Anybody who wants to help is welcome as well.
I do think that your goal is too high. I do offer you to join the development team of Kelgar. This would allow you to reach your goal and if the stuff you have already done fits to Kelgar it will be included. Send me a e-mail if you are interested. If you are unable to make a decision after checking the thread and the IndieDB-page of Kelgar, you can ask me for a link to the game design document or anything else.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
donnelly517

Post by donnelly517 »

I'd love to help. And you are right, I won't be able to do it, least of all on my own. I know that if I can't find help I'll never be able to do it. But I like Kelgar and I'd be glad to help with it in some way. I'm bad at scripting but decent at static modelling and good with mapping.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Best tip I can give is start small with something fun and build up from there. A small fun demo/test/beta can really help you get interest in your project, that's how I got my start. My first map was simple but really fun and my team went from 2 to 15! Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
donnelly517

Post by donnelly517 »

I'm going to help map for Broken Shield. Also, by the time that's finished RPG should have improved and I'll be more experienced of course. Then I'll start something (smaller).