Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Rydion (RPG)

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
rydion_dev

Rydion (RPG)

Post by rydion_dev »

---- | | |---- ---
| | | | | - |
---- | | | | |
| | ------ | - |
| | | |---- ---

------ |- |
| | | - |
| | | - |
| | | - |
------ | -|

(Cool, isn't it?)

Welcome to the official Rydion Report. Discover more about what is going on here.

Rydion is underway. We haven't started full work yet but I am beginning a map.

Talking of a map here is the concept art of northern Rydion.

That is all. Expect progress to be swifter during the school year. Why? Because that is when we talk. Hopefully they will be ambitious or I will quit. I'm losing patience.
Freelance PAS user good at building RPG maps and designing interiors. Hates texturing though...
rydion_dev wrote:This doesn't cut any mustard at all, I'm afraid. It barely cuts tomato sauce!
rydion_dev

Re: Rydion (RPG)

Post by rydion_dev »

(Sorry for the double post, but you did have five weeks)

Rydion Character Builder

This is a Python-based character builder. We hope to complete this on Saturday, 29 December 2012, in approximately 12 weeks. It will be available to download one week later, on Saturday, 5 January 2013.

Features

- Character Analysis
- Select a name
- Class selector
- Stat Analysis

Official Release

The release date in January may be delayed, however we hope it will not.

PS: I'm starting my own secret project. Unlike some members of the team, I really like Sandbox.

Questions

I don't intend to annoy you, but...

1. Can you change the stats?
2. Can you change the base stats?
3. Can you create a game where you select a race and this changes the base stats?
4. Any ideas on where to start when building a country map?
5. How do I get cities to appear on the overworld, even if they have their own map?
6. Anyone good at 3D graphics, who wants to join the side project?

That's all from me, please respond.
Freelance PAS user good at building RPG maps and designing interiors. Hates texturing though...
rydion_dev wrote:This doesn't cut any mustard at all, I'm afraid. It barely cuts tomato sauce!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

so, this character builder is going to be written in python, yet you need help for Sandbox? Or by python-based, you mean this is to be inspired by how it would be done in python, but made in Cubescript?

As for your questions, I could attempt to provide you with pseudocode or ways to accomplish what you want:
rydion_dev wrote:1. Can you change the stats?
Assuming you mean improving RPG character stats, you should be able to, look into the code of example RPG games. If you mean changing the names and functions of the stats themselves, that's probably either within the RPG source code or within data/rpg.
rydion_dev wrote:3. Can you create a game where you select a race and this changes the base stats?
It could be possible, you could create aliases that describe your character and then loads the stats when that character is selected. For example:

Code: Select all

//selector.cfg
guibutton "character" [exec charactername.cfg]
guibutton "dwarf" [exec dwarf.cfg]
]

//dwarf.cfg
(whatever you want to happen when the button is selected goes here.)
newgui "Dwarf"
guitext "(stats and description)
set stat_attack = 12
set stat_magic = 4
set stat_stealth = 6
that might be one possible way to do it, I'd check with Hirato for all things RPG first.
rydion_dev wrote:4. Any ideas on where to start when building a country map?
farms, large grassy areas, trees, houses, hills... just search for countryside in any image search engine.
rydion_dev wrote:5. How do I get cities to appear on the overworld, even if they have their own map?
You shouldn't use entire cities, as that would defeat the point of having their own map, instead just show maybe a low-detail version of the map which you can see but not interact with. Have a gate or something that acts as an entrance point and a map teleport point.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

rydion_dev wrote: 1. Can you change the stats?
If you can change the code, you can change the stats :P
rydion_dev wrote: 3. Can you create a game where you select a race and this changes the base stats?
Yes, you can use global variables. You will need at least a race variable.
A custom model (concat "path/to/model" (r_global_get player_race)) and bonus to stats are possible using this system.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox