Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

My Citadel 14 Game MAP!!!

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: My Citadel 14 Game MAP!!!

Post by kddekadenz »

Xuz99 wrote:
kddekadenz wrote: You need:

packages/base/<gamemode>/<mapname>.ogz
packages/base/<gamemode>/<mapname>-art.cfg

And if you used custom textures, models or sounds, be sure to include them ;)
Hopefully this are the right files, also please bear in mind that the maps is still yet to be completed.
And I’ve kind of given up adding to it, soooo eh.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rv9xm6h0czcuc5d
No, this aren't all the right files :(
You forgot to add the map itself (.ogz!).
Please do reorganize the archive, too:
create the directory
packages/base/fps/

and add "add1&2" to packages and the map and the .cfg to packages/base fps.
This will save testers time, because they simply need to extract it in the main directory.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Xuz99
Name: Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

No, this aren't all the right files :(
You forgot to add the map itself (.ogz!).
Please do reorganize the archive, too:
create the directory
packages/base/fps/

and add "add1&2" to packages and the map and the .cfg to packages/base fps.
This will save testers time, because they simply need to extract it in the main directory.
Sorry about that, I feel like an idiot for not adding the actual map -__-
Hopefully these are the right files now, and I hope they are in their right directory.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ysbuwlz6qwayo13
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Cool map.

Pros: :)
-very big
-lot of details
-performance ok (ranged from 19-36 FPS on my old laptop)
- cool ideas

Cons: :(
- too dark - you should use /skylight ,/sunlight and /ambient
- some heightmap errors
- no ingame story or such
Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

kddekadenz wrote:Cool map.

Pros: :)
-very big
-lot of details
-performance ok (ranged from 19-36 FPS on my old laptop)
- cool ideas

Cons: :(
- too dark - you should use /skylight ,/sunlight and /ambient
- some heightmap errors
- no ingame story or such
Thanks, for your feedback :D

(Too dark - you should use /skylight, /sunlight and /ambient.)

I know I find that to be the biggest down fall of my map. If you look at some areas I have tried making it brighter, but if I add sun the light itself is far too bright, and I felt this ruins the feel of the map. I just say it was made as a night map :P

(Some height-map errors.)

Sorry I don’t actually know what this is.

(No in-game story or such.)

Yea it’s not a playable game sadly. And I don’t have a clue how to code it ~_~

What did you think of my video, too long not, enough coverage?
And anybody else what to have look at my map please feel free to do so, just give me some feedback on it please :D
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

Xuz99 wrote:
kddekadenz wrote:(Some height-map errors.)
That's when you use height map, q + scrolling, or anything else to make ramps/ anything that changes the world from just squares to not squares.
You can fix these errors by using the same grid size, or stay away from places you already heighmapped (if you ignore this, you get errors which are hard to remove (but you can, you just need experience))
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Xuz99 wrote: I know I find that to be the biggest down fall of my map. If you look at some areas I have tried making it brighter, but if I add sun the light itself is far too bright, and I felt this ruins the feel of the map. I just say it was made as a night map :P
You could use /ambient 40 50 60, or something.
Xuz99 wrote: (Some height-map errors.)

You enter Heightmap-mode by pressing H :P
Heightmap errors are deformed terrain (pieces standing out) and happen when editing the same place in Heightmap mode in different grid sizes (toogled by G).
Xuz99 wrote: (No in-game story or such.)

Yea it’s not a playable game sadly. And I don’t have a clue how to code it ~_~
If you want to add a story, I would suggest to switch to RPG mode. If you want it to be a FPS game, switch to RPG, too, because you can add weapons there, too. The RPG mode is kinda advanced and Hirato does still develop it. For an example you can take a look at Kelgar (link in my signature), a RPG I develop since nearly a year in a small team. I will open the code of the project, if I've organized it, by the way.
Xuz99 wrote: What did you think of my video, too long not, enough coverage?
Pros:
The titles are cool.
The music is good.
Shows the map well.
Way of introduce the story is cool.

Cons:
When introducing the story, it shouldn't fade to black.
Too long - you should concentrate on the best parts of the map. 1:30 is a good length for a trailer in my opinion.
You see the texts of the entities, because you recorded in edit-mode.
Partly too dark, but that's the map itself (and Youtube).
Xuz99 wrote: And anybody else what to have look at my map please feel free to do so, just give me some feedback on it please :D
You should update the main post with the download link.
Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

You enter Height-map mode by pressing H :P
Height-map errors are deformed terrain (pieces standing out) and happen when editing the same place in Height-map mode in different grid sizes (toggled by G).
Ah, now I remember the height-field again. I know I got the proportions all wrong at some parts. :P
I forgot about a lot of options in Sandbox because I have not used it in a few months :D
If you want to add a story, I would suggest to switch to RPG mode. If you want it to be a FPS game, switch to RPG, too, because you can add weapons there, too. The RPG mode is kinda advanced and Hirato does still develop it. For an example you can take a look at Kelgar (link in my signature), a RPG I develop since nearly a year in a small team. I will open the code of the project, if I've organized it, by the way.
I don’t think I will be adding to this map any more, I haven’t completely abandoned the idea of this game completely just the sandbox part; I’ve been thinking of having a go at the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) and maybe recreating this map in that :P
Pros:
The titles are cool.
The music is good.
Shows the map well.
Way of introduce the story is cool.

Cons:
When introducing the story, it shouldn't fade to black.
Too long - you should concentrate on the best parts of the map. 1:30 is a good length for a trailer in my opinion.
You see the texts of the entities, because you recorded in edit-mode.
Partly too dark, but that's the map itself (and Youtube).
Thanks for the feedback, the main thing about the video i didn’t like was the entities as well as I didn’t know anyway of recording it and not going in to edit mode for the overview’s
And as well the time, I know far too long but I had so much of the map to show and I still had clips left over, you should have seen it when I started editing it came to 7 minutes in total ; I slimed it down a bit but it still came to 3 and a half minutes. So :P
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Xuz99 wrote:I’ve been thinking of having a go at the Unreal Development Kit (UDK)
The ingame editing of PAS is cool, the performance is good, it is completely free even for commercial use, it is cross-platform and there are predone modules, which still are in active development. In the next release the shaders are improved a lot, Hirato merged Tesseract:

Xuz99

Post by Xuz99 »

kddekadenz wrote:The ingame editing of PAS is cool, the performance is good, it is completely free even for commercial use, it is cross-platform and there are predone modules, which still are in active development. In the next release the shaders are improved a lot, Hirato merged Tesseract:
Sorry I took so long to reply; I’ve been busy the last few days.

I see what you are saying but my biggest problem with Sandbox is the lack of tutorials I wouldn’t mind making this map in to a full game if I knew how and there’s not a lot of backing in the ways of tutorials here on the wiki or even YouTube.

Back when I was getting in to Sandbox, there was only two videos on YouTube that where of any real help and they only stated the basics, as for the wiki the thing did help, however there’s is a lot of it missing and some of the tutorials are very vague and incomplete. Or the writers are just plain lazy and have said to do 2 steps then follow a very poorly made YouTube video.
Even with this new update there’s still a *heck* of a lot that needs to be added. For one thing more models. When making my Citadel 14 map I constantly had to re-use the same chair, or box, or light model, and I got a bit frustrating. Another thing is music there’s about 5 tracks and if you play for about ten minutes their great, but if you play for about one hour then they get a bit boring and you get sick of them.

But that’s just me.

After looking at the UDK I was blown away with the thing. It’s free you can use it to make a commercial games. Also there’s a massive community for helping you out too. And the tutorials are long, hour long videos, hundreds of written tutorials. And it’s not just a little program; it makes some of the most insane and very popular games today.

I’m sorry to say but Sandbox is good, but not that good.

kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Xuz99 wrote:I see what you are saying but my biggest problem with Sandbox is the lack of tutorials I wouldn’t mind making this map in to a full game if I knew how and there’s not a lot of backing in the ways of tutorials here on the wiki or even YouTube.
I agree. I have the knowledge, but currently no free time to spend to create some, but later. The RPG I'm developing (check my signature) will open his code in December.
Xuz99 wrote: Even with this new update there’s still a *heck* of a lot that needs to be added. For one thing more models. When making my Citadel 14 map I constantly had to re-use the same chair, or box, or light model, and I got a bit frustrating.
Yes, Hirato simply could pick some CC0 models from blendswap and opengameart and add them to the game. I would spend a hour in this, too, if I would find a way to compile it. Or I simply could release a model pack. Hmm, good idea, isn't it?
Xuz99 wrote: Another thing is music there’s about 5 tracks and if you play for about ten minutes their great, but if you play for about one hour then they get a bit boring and you get sick of them.
You can add own tracks :P
Xuz99 wrote: After looking at the UDK I was blown away with the thing. It’s free you can use it to make a commercial games.
No, it is only free to use to make non-commercial games, they state it at their website:
A team creates a game with UDK that they intend to sell. After six months of development, they release the game through digital distribution and they earn US$60,000 in the first calendar quarter after release. Their use of UDK during development requires no fee. At some point prior to the UDK Applications’srelease they would to secure a royalty-bearing commercial UDK license with its US$99 license fee. After earning US$60,000, they would be required to pay Epic US$2,500 (US$0 on the first US$50,000 in revenue, and US$2,500 on the next US$10,000 in revenue). On subsequent revenue, they are required to pay the 25% royalty.
Xuz99 wrote: Also there’s a massive community for helping you out too.
That's my biggest complain about PAS, the community is very small and there is only one person left who develops the code (correct me if I'm wrong).
Xuz99 wrote: it makes some of the most insane and very popular games today.
People make games (I programmed a game "generator", though). You can build amazing games, even with a limited engine like Scratch. If your game is good because of the engine, than it sucks.

You can build a similar village in PAS :P