Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

GitHub

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
northstar
Name: steven

Re: GitHub

Post by northstar »

if the goal is to make a level editor for porting to unity etc... aren't we done for all intent and purposes? don't know what you would improve on...

seems the user interface and gameplay "are" all thats left, along with new bells and whistles... pick your folder base, solve porting... a scattering of textures and models... intuitive menus and interface, and you're done... doesn't matter whether i'm using 2.5 or 2.9... i can still make the same maps...

the forest through the trees...
the engine is a tough little engine... just a thought
northstar

Post by northstar »

ok... now i can think...

so am i looking at gui or newui...
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

You are looking at the same gui that Cube 2 uses, not Newgui.

User Interface I think is pretty huge and the main thing is to market it as a level editor. Hopefully we can put it on steam for cheap and whatever money is made can be used to help support more cool features and content for Sandbox! That is the idea anyway :)

Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
northstar

Post by northstar »

10-4 mike...

never having used the fps i'll have to merge the menus somehow... hmmm... 2 hud's?... wait, i know... i gotta go... :)
northstar

Post by northstar »

i suppose what i need first, is to know the desired folder structure... skyboxes in one folder? huds in one folder in data? textures in one folder? and when i compile i now have a "home" folder... do we keep that or move it to data?

can't really start moving in a forward direction until i know the desired structure...
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

What are you using to compile? I have never had a "home" directory before. I'm open to suggestions on the folders though I moved the different bin folders into the "binaries" folder which I think looks a lot nicer. Also have you tried Lamiae yet? I think we talked about it before but I'm blanking on your response. If I can get characters to talk easily I might actually make that the default mode and try to get in some minimal co-op editing abilities. The menus are widgets though which is nice though I think it still needs some touch ups:
https://github.com/Hirato/lamiae

Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Wind Astella
Name: Nik Mirza
IRC Username: windastella

Post by Wind Astella »

Mike, If you're talking about dialogue system, In theory, I can abuse the cutscene system and let the chat system to initiate the script for it. I'm planning to make a JRPG style dialogue system with potrait picture and stuff. Maybe I'll try it this week.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

What I have been talking to Hirato about is the dialog of course which he did a fix for recently and we talked about him adding a basic MP mode for Co-op. If that is the case then that actually maybe should be the main codebase for Sandbox. He was also willing to potentially port it back to Cube 2 too so that lower end computers could use it. How are you enjoying using it? Especially vs the other modes? It seems like he already has quite a bit working so I think it is worth at least checking out. Take care!
-mike
northstar

Post by northstar »

i'm still in 32bit, so lamiae won't compile (350 + - mb)... i'm just going to have to wait until this project is at least blocked out to form... and by then you probably won't need much help (chuckle)... till then...

keep your powder dry :)
stev

EDIT: btw, i'm using codeblocks/minGW and the only things i did was change the resolution a couple times, go in and out of fullscreen, and start a newmap from the command line... and there it was (home folder)... ns
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I would be more than happy to send you over the 32 bit binary for Lamiae. Also the "home" folder should be "user_data". Interesting that home was created instead. I have it doing the "user_data" from the click_me_to_start bat but maybe since it is 32 bit for whatever reason it doesn't work? Take care.
-mike