Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005

Discussion of things not related to Sandbox
Chaze007
Name: William
IRC Username: Chaze007

Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005

Post by Chaze007 »

I found this video to be very interesting & very motivational. I advise everyone to watch this, and take this man's advice.

daltonds1
Name: Dalton
IRC Username: Daltonds1

Re: Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005

Post by daltonds1 »

Thats such a lie when he said windows copied mac
Windows ftw
tyche
Name: Craig A. Eddy
IRC Username: tyche

Post by tyche »

"[18:13] <Chaze0071> I'm a bit upset nobody replied to this yet"

All right. You want a reply.

1. Dot connection - When I was 10 a New York State Trooper handed me a copy of Vehicle and Traffic Laws and told me that all I needed to know about riding a bike in New York State was in there. I read it. I even understood the section on bicycles. About 13 years later I went to a driving school to learn how to drive a car, to get my New York State driver's license. My instructor had been a driving inspector for the local DMV and taught me not only how to drive but WHY to drive a particular way. A year or so later I became a delivery driver and started honing my skills in all sorts of weather. Many years later I ended up driving bus, then becoming the Transportation Coordinator for the agency. All because a NYS Trooper handed me a copy of Vehicle and Traffic Law and I read an understood it. And because of that my "fall-back" position has always been driving.

2. School - I graduated from high school on a general diploma having, I thought, learned nothing. The last 6 months of school I volunteered with a local (now called) PBS Television Station where I was a scenic technician. Near the end of my time with them the Graphics Artist in charge of the "department" was stumped for how to create a set for a panel discussion program with exchange students. I gave him the idea, including how to light it so that the lights came up on the individual participants as their names scrolled through the credits. I ended up designing the set and building it (with his help), lighting it, including running the light board at the beginning and end of the program, running the sound board, and creating the credits. Many years later I finally went to college and discovered that much of what I thought I hadn't learned in high school had actually stuck, and I started making straight "A's". This was a revelation to me. I actually COULD learn. From that point on many of the jobs that I held were a case of "on the job training" - learning as I went along, and in each of them I excelled.

3. Death - I never thought much of it until one day, as a delivery driver (see 1, above), I was hit head-on by a drunk driver at 11:05 AM on April second. The guy was still drunk from the night before. There were three ways I should have died in the accident, but didn't. I walked out of the back end of the totaled panel truck with relatively minor injuries (though they didn't seem minor to me, then). That was a wake-up call. I COULD die. Many years later my first born son (and Junior) came down with cancer. He lived for only 3/4 of a year after that and died at 3:30 AM the day AFTER my second son's birthday. That last 3/4 of a year taught me that we all live the same amount of time: all our lives. It doesn't matter how long we live but what we do with that life and what experiences we have along the way.

4. "Stay young, stay foolish" - You've seen my sense of humor. You've seen/read/heard me say that I make other people suffer for my Peter Pan Syndrome (I'll never grow up). Part of that is because I live in a Science Fiction world. Things that were only parts of SF novels when I was 14 are reality today. In fact, some of them far surpass those novels. And many of the novels were written by professional people like Isaac Asimov (Professor of Biochemistry), Robert A. Heinlein (Engineer), and Arthur C. Clarke (Astronomer), just to name a few. The world is full of wonders if you step back from every day living and look at them. That will keep you young. The foolish part? Learn to laugh at yourself. I once wanted to be a clown. I learned that the things that are funny are the things that might cause pain in other people. By knowing what causes pain in yourself and learning to make fun of it you overcome the pain. Being a clown is giving other people the opportunity to see that pain reflected in you, and making it foolish. There are all sorts of methods for doing that. I'll leave that as an exercise for the student. :-D

Craig
Tyche
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

whoa... that's long. And (possibly) offtopic?

When you were ten... when was that? (No offense intended, I'm just a youngsta)

What were the three ways you could've died in the accident? (Again, sorry, it's interesting to me, though...)
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Chaze007

Post by Chaze007 »

Tyche is like 600 years old man. ;D
tyche

Post by tyche »

chocolatepie33 wrote:whoa... that's long. And (possibly) offtopic?

When you were ten... when was that? (No offense intended, I'm just a youngsta)

What were the three ways you could've died in the accident? (Again, sorry, it's interesting to me, though...)
chocolatepie33,

NOT off topic, since the topic was inspirational messages.

When I was 10 - 1955. Yea, I'm old. I'm 65 now.

The three ways I could have died: 1. had I been seat belted in (the accident occurred before seatbelts were manditory) my legs would have been cut off at just below the knee. The seat in a Chevy Van 10 was a pedestal made of 1/8" sheet metal. The floorboards came up to meet it. Because I wasn't seat belted in I came out of the seat. The only think that kept me from going through the windshield was the metal just above it (I still have the scar on the back-top of my head from where I hit). When I came back down I discovered that the steering wheel had moved. I discovered this with my nose. The impact split the outsides of both nostrils and crushed the cartilage. One inch higher and it would have broken the bones and driven them into my brain. As a result of the splits in my nostrils (one of which was actually a rip through. I still have the scars of that, too) I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I should have seen the damage in the rear view mirror and passed out from shock, which would have resulted in death from blood loss. Instead, I flipped the mirror up out of my line of site, and stuffed a handkerchief against my nose and pinched.

Craig
Tyche
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Ouch, that sounds like it hurt.

And yeah, that was on topic. I'll fix that.

Let's see:

1. No seat belt.
2. Bone up brains.
3. Blood loss.

That sounds crazy painful.

OFFTOPIC: We have three high-up people (four if you count Chaze) on now. Rare.
Save the wiki!
Chaze007

Post by Chaze007 »

Funny I'm considered 'High Up' what am I some kind of legend? :D
tyche

Post by tyche »

Chaze007,

Yea, you're a legend in your own mind. :-D

Craig
Tyche
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

he's a legend to me (or at least a pseudo-legend, like a Dragonite in Pokemon)
Save the wiki!