The Big Fight

Discussion of things not related to Sandbox

Who is right??

Calimer
1
20%
Java.x.beast
4
80%
 
Total votes: 5

java.x.beast
Member
Member
Posts: 194
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

The Big Fight

Postby java.x.beast » October 1st, 2011, 5:57 pm

So this is what happened. Yesterday I was on IRC and was chatting as usual. Then, Calimer comes on and I asked him if he could solve a sophism (one of my favorites :D ). Within one minute of me writing the sophism, he tell me what he think to be the answer. I, however, was prepared and told him is answer was incorrect. Then, we started arguing for over half an hour. If any one of you would please dare to settle this.

Sophism:

A slim crocodile living in the Nile took a child. His mother begged to have him back. The crocodile could not only talk, but was also a great sophist and stated, "If you guess correctly what I will do with him, I will return him. However, if you don't predict his fate correctly, I'll eat him." What statement should the mother make to save her child?

Calimer's Answer:

The mother has to say "You will give him back to me".

My answer:

The mother has to say "If I correctly predict his fate, you will give him back to me. If I don't, you will eat him."

The screenshots of our fights on IRC are in the "Sandbox in Action" gallery under the names, "the fight...", "the fight... 2...", and "the fight... 3...". Tell us who is right by using the poll at the top of this topic.

Thanks,
CEO of Vulcanis Entertainment,
Addis Regassa
Age of Darkness

Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image


Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment


java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!

User avatar
cork279
Member
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: October 22nd, 2010, 5:54 am
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279
Location: The corner of a sphere.
Contact:

Re: The Big Fight

Postby cork279 » October 2nd, 2011, 6:13 am

I'm gonna go with Calimers response, since it makes the most sense to me.
You gave 2 responses, so your not telling the crocodile what he will do, but what he could do... :P
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB

java.x.beast
Member
Member
Posts: 194
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Big Fight

Postby java.x.beast » October 12th, 2011, 7:17 pm

cork279 wrote:I'm gonna go with Calimers response, since it makes the most sense to me.
You gave 2 responses, so your not telling the crocodile what he will do, but what he could do... :P


Imagine my response being a piece of code.

Example:

Code: Select all

motheranswer = 0


r_script_signal talk [
r_script_say "If you guess correctly what I will do with him, I will return him. However, if you don't predict his fate correctly, I'll eat him." [
r_response "Calimer's Response" 1 ; (r_global_set motheranswer 0)
r_response "Java's Response"  1 ; (r_global_set motheranswer 1)
                                                ]

if ( < (r_global_get motheranswer) 1 )
                   [
r_script_say "I'm sorry but you are wrong. Therefore, I must eat your child. GOODNIGHT! XD" [
r_response "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE ATE MY CHILD! I'll get you back for this...." -1
                  ]
                  [
r_script_say "You have guessed correctly. I can't BELIEVE I got beaten. Here is your child." [
r_response "W00000000000T!!!!! I OWNED YOU CROCCY! THIS IS SO T0T4L PWNAGE!!! W000000000T!!!!! \,,/" -1 ; echo "You got your child back!"
]
                  ]
]


I know this isn't the best piece of code ever written, but it does get the point across. I hope. Also, three other people agree with me.
Age of Darkness

Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image


Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment


java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 2458
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm
IRC Username: CP

Re: The Big Fight

Postby chocolatepie33 » October 12th, 2011, 7:30 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with you, because I just googled this, and most people said that your answer would be correct because the mother would be correct no matter what.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!

Save the wiki!

java.x.beast
Member
Member
Posts: 194
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Big Fight

Postby java.x.beast » October 12th, 2011, 7:33 pm

WOOT! Thanks, CP. It really pays off to hear that. Took me over an hour to figure it out...
Age of Darkness

Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image


Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment


java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!

User avatar
Runescapedj
Member
Member
Posts: 1706
Joined: January 9th, 2010, 9:06 am
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj
Location: Deventer, the Netherlands

Re: The Big Fight

Postby Runescapedj » October 14th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Really? isn't like 30 secs to 1 min enough?

User avatar
jSoftApps
Member
Member
Posts: 426
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 10:02 pm
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps
Location: jSoft Apps Software Innovations HQ
Contact:

Re: The Big Fight

Postby jSoftApps » October 14th, 2011, 2:53 pm

chocolatepie33 wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with you, because I just googled this, and most people said that your answer would be correct because the mother would be correct no matter what.

Isn't google awesome!
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

Image

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
Image

arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 2734
Joined: January 13th, 2010, 12:42 pm
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam
Location: Looking over your shoulder...
Contact:

Re: The Big Fight

Postby arcones » October 14th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Not if you try to think through it from each angle properly and sufficiently. Otherwise you may end up giving a bad answer.
Image
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!

User avatar
Runescapedj
Member
Member
Posts: 1706
Joined: January 9th, 2010, 9:06 am
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj
Location: Deventer, the Netherlands

Re: The Big Fight

Postby Runescapedj » October 14th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Maybe that's for me cuz I've heard another one such as this one before =P

java.x.beast
Member
Member
Posts: 194
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Big Fight

Postby java.x.beast » October 14th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Runescapedj wrote:Really? isn't like 30 secs to 1 min enough?


Does this answer your question?
arcones wrote:Not if you try to think through it from each angle properly and sufficiently. Otherwise you may end up giving a bad answer.

This is exactly what I tried to do. At first, I thought that this answer was wrong because I thought it was two answers, but then I realized that it's not . It's, in fact, only one answer jumbled up into one sentence. If the questions is "question goes here", then why can't the answer be "question goes here"? I hope you see where I'm going with this.
Age of Darkness

Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image


Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment


java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!


Return to “Off-topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests