Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

3D Models Animation Preset

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
StormKat32

3D Models Animation Preset

Post by StormKat32 »

Okay, there's most of us who don't know jack about programming like me.

I know there's already resources on 3d Images.

Okay, here's two questions.

1:Now is there any resources on 3D models that already have the animations preconfigured to them?

2:If not, then I am wanting to know if anyone would be willing to get together to do models for me and preconfigure the animations? :)
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Re: 3D Models Animation Preset

Post by Runescapedj »

Google is your best friend ;)
justanother1
Name: Joe

Post by justanother1 »

It's funny you ask .... I can import textures, build models and animate them, but I'm having the hardest time understanding how to actually make a game ....
I enjoy playing around with the editor, and thought It might be cool to make like a museum tour with some of my models. I did post what I found about Importing models here It's a zipfile that you can download and unzip into your directory for an instant playable character .... I also included the model and the CharacterFX file, but you'll need the software to use it .. both are free ....
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Post by java.x.beast »

Can you help me with some modeling for my RPG? I'll teach you how to make a game if you make me models! I'm pretty good at scripting. Look for my thread under "Show Off Your Work" called "Age of Darkness". I would really love to work with you. Thanks!

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

sure I'll build you a few .... I'll need some details on what you want, they'll have to be pretty basic though .... as I'm only using free software and my old computer can't handle some shaders and such ...
Put together a cut sheet on each with some details like texture ideas and maybe a google-image of that type of character. Also put together a list of actions according to what you know about scripting ... I did a character with all the actions listed, but so far I can only use swim, forward, backward, strafe left and right, jump and die. I don't know how to use the attack ones so there's no way to test them..
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Post by java.x.beast »

I can make do with a basic wand with small decorations. It will need to look like a long black stick that has been carved to look like a wand. Almost like the one's in Harry Potter. The handle needs to be striped (black and red) and the main part (the part that is not being held) will need to be dark gray. I will need this within the next two weeks, if possible. Thanks so much! I would also appreciate different skins to make them look like different weapons. Thanks so much, again!

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

You don't want a character, just a wand ?
StormKat32

Post by StormKat32 »

Well! It looks like I've found my man! Hey justanother1, I want some animations done for my humanoid models and they are going to be made under the Make Human program. For right now I am in the Idea stage of making a half Fantasy and half futuristic game with an Elder Scrolls theme.

I am going to need a staff and I want you to help out. I am boiling with ideas that will blow Bethesda Softworks out of the water.

Are you with me? :)
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

Yes and No .... as I was trying to explain before .... I'm running an older XP computer ... with a low end graphics card ....
It will handle building Low to medium poly models .. but not High-poly zbrush type models... understand for gaming you want the lowpoly anyway ...
for the next week or so, I can devote most of my time to this, as I'm handling some affairs of my own here at the house .... I'm also gonna be sticking with CharacterFX which means MD2 format ..... most of the options should be available as far as Normal mapping and such .. However ... Md2 save as vertex animation, not bone animation, making them impossible to add animations later. As far as model starters .... Make Human is ok ... but Might I suggest Daz Studio 4, it comes with Genesis. Either is fine, I'll be retopologizing the end result anyway .... but let me post some guidelines as to how first .... to make things much easier.
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

Make Human Models are Ok ... But I will be retopologizing all for the finished model. They will only contain a simple bone structure, as Sandbox only seems to respond to a small set of animations (look in the wiki) Hip,thigh,shin,foot,toe ... abdomen,chest,neck,head...., arm, forarm, hand. I will not be delving into finger and facial animation, as this requires much more collaboration (lip syncing) and full hands are a waste of texture space and veriticies . The model will be divided into seperate objects like ......
example1.png
..... so that most of the bodypart objects can be assigned to a single bone to make rigging easier. Also considering clothing and Equipment, simple shapes can/should be added around the Joints, as to overlap the bodypart objects at the Joints, think Knee-pads and Elbow guards. Remember Halo, and Unreal Tournament ...
example2.png
Also, for Better quality textures, I can map one leg and one arm, then duplicate for the final model, This will leave more space for detail in the texture, but you must avoid Lettering and
Symbols on the Arms and Legs as it will be flipped on the duplicate. Also you must understand that I'm quite new to Sandbox, and the Md2 format. I'm not sure, but I believe if you want weapons, they will be easier to incorporate into the model, rather than add them as seperate object, because of the Md2 format. Here is an example of a tester I was playing with ....
Attachments
example3.png