Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

A tutorial

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Iceberg_Slim
Name: Roy Warren

A tutorial

Post by Iceberg_Slim »

It would be nice to have a tutorial (no code)that would take a young person from soup to nuts on creating a simple game as a primer to get them started using the softwareware. I am using the software in class and it would be nice if I had something to get them started. In your existing tutorial I must have missed something because I saw the dialog but did not see how to create it or even retreiving the apple and getting a score. I will keep plugging along with the software ....it is great.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: A tutorial

Post by arcones »

So essentially you want a Tutorial that delves into the basic's for Sandbox? That would be easy to do and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to help! :)

So if there's anything you'd like to include, post below!

Arc :geek:
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Iceberg_Slim

Post by Iceberg_Slim »

Arc

I would like to make it so I could show the start of the game design, create a simple map, get clues from different characters with dialogue, a timer, pick up or retrieve an Item and bring it back in the shortest amount of time to win. I can do screen captures with Camtasia and I could add text and an audio track. The tutorial would be a video file @ 9 minutes long and I would put it on blackboard for the students. Their versions would have the same elements for starters.

Roy
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Okay, that would be, for the most part, easy to do. However, there are some things as to the quest.
Iceberg_Slim wrote:I can do screen captures with Camtasia and I could add text and an audio track.
Roy
That's great, although it would be best if you coded the text in (unless that's what you plan on doing :) ). An audio track would be neat and Sandbox already has a recorder and can take screenshots.

Other than that I believe this would be a fantastic idea for a tutorial! Do you want to do it or would you mind if I did some of it?

Arc :geek:
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Iceberg_Slim

Post by Iceberg_Slim »

Arc

If you could make several short video tutorial on how to create a simple quest game that will involve a entity and result in a score it would be much appreciated. Had you ever considered doing a skype conference for a group of high school students. I tried to find a book on using your software. I guess it is ahead of the curve!

Roy
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Luke
IRC Username: Gr1m

Post by GR1M »

Iceberg, Calimer the one who had Sandbox camps every year was thinking about teaching over skype. Go talk with him.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo
gmansland
Name: G
IRC Username: gmansland

Post by gmansland »

this would be nice to see, im starting from scratch useing sandbox and i love it, have created a cople nice worlds. but still no idea how to work alot of things. been working the wiki and forums and every day i learn something new. one thing i feel stupid about and i know i sow the option somewhere. how do i change from box to round when in edit mode?

also i was wondering there are the level's in sandbox that say they are tutorials but they are just bits of land with differant things placed around. is there audio or video files im missing that go with these?
Iceberg_Slim

Post by Iceberg_Slim »

Arc

Thanks for the suggestion.

Iceberg
Iceberg_Slim

Post by Iceberg_Slim »

Arc

Any doors on the software?

Iceberg
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

there should be doors in the mapmodels, hit F1 and go to tab 4, i think, and you should have two doors, and on the same tab (or tab 5), captain ahab should have a door. you can add a level trigger by selecting a door, hitting F3, and selecting trigger type, then go to any of them.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!