Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Cant delete file!

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
owenisred
Name: Owen

Cant delete file!

Post by owenisred »

OK this is very very strange. Basically, I put all the sandbox 2.5 files on my laptop onto a memory stick, to the put it onto a desktop; thats all done now. I wanted to delete sandbox folder from my memory stick. Every time I selected the folder and hit delete it said the usual, "are you sure you want to delete this file?" and I choose yes. Nothing happens. So i think there must be a corrupt file in sandbox. I open the folder up and delete each folder in turn - the only one i cant delete was the packages folder. So I tried the same technique again, and I found it was the music folder.

I opened the music folder and all *heck* broke loose.

I was confronted with this monstrosity:

Basically these files or folders cant be deleted, renamed, moved or anything.

I know I could simply take all the other things off my memory stick and then format it, but I'm curious - anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
owen.
I'm taking modelling requests again - any models you want created,skinned or animated (or all 3) leave a post here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2704&start=0

My tutorial site - still under construction, but lots of good stuff there:

http://pasandbox.webs.com/
owenisred

Re: Cant delete file!

Post by owenisred »

oh and did i mention - the folder cant be opened because the file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

Edit: Although these files appear to have a size, when I right click and properties, they dont. Also more worringly, they are opened with windows shell command.
I'm taking modelling requests again - any models you want created,skinned or animated (or all 3) leave a post here:

InHumanUnit
Name: Ian, Haiku, I got alot ;)
Location: Toyko, Japan. Currently in Illonis, Round Lake in America for secret purposes

Post by InHumanUnit »

Hmmmm...I think the roblem may be your memory stick, it can only hold up to a certain amount and PAS has more then 3,000 items...
XEON BOX GAMES - XBG is a blast from the past of a pirate mast to a cars thats fast.
You dare challenge me to Halo:Reach? You must die!
daltonds1
Name: Dalton
IRC Username: Daltonds1

Post by daltonds1 »

1 Is the file in use? It sounds obvious but it happens. If it is being used or open, close the file and the application that opened it. For example, if it is a Word document, close Microsoft Word.
2 If the file was opened in an application (and subsequently closed), but the program is still running, try quitting the program. Windows will lock a file because the application hasn't yet released it. This is not always Windows fault and can be the fault of the program.
3 If the file is an AVI, in particular a DivX AVI, try renaming it and then deleting it. DivX files don't get on very well with Windows XP and sometimes renaming the file can trick Windows into releasing it.
4 Reboot your PC and don't start any programs. Go directly to the file and delete it.
5 In Windows Explorer, switch to View-Details and then select View-Choose Details. Uncheck everything except the file name. This stops Windows XP trying to read the file - this problem affects many video, audio and graphics files.
6 Still no luck? OK, here is the best trick of all. Most sites give you cryptic Windows registry and DOS commands to remove a file, but the answer is so much simpler. Get a copy of MoveOnBoot or . both are free these simple tools will allow you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock or alter the files. There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step process.
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

I had something similar happen on my portable music player when I unplugged it after playing a few songs from it (how exclusive read operations can do this is beyond me) - basically most of the music disappeared and and odd 1GB + files appeared (so this 1 GB thingie was holding 21.2GB, according to itself)

your best bet is to either
1) run a disk check on the drive, then delete any corrupt files after repairs
2) format the disk
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
owenisred

Post by owenisred »

hirato - yea this sounds similar to my situation these things should be tiny but claim to hold something like 9GB in total. I guess ill just format the drive tho its annoying - I'm quite interested as to how this could have happened.

Thanks anyway guys :)

Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Actually... Ive had the exact same problem... Luckily Windows 7 has a method of removing such files. Whats happened is, you've removed the memory stick during transfer of the files, if you go back to the source (the computer the files came from) and copy the files that were there to start with, you can repair the corrupted files. Or as Hirato suggested:
1) Run a disk check on the drive, then delete any corrupt files after repairs.
2) Format the disk.
owenisred

Post by owenisred »

Whats happened is, you've removed the memory stick during transfer of the files
This is sounding possible... :s

I just ran a scan and it all got sorted anyway - thank guys!

Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

No problem! And by glancing at the screenshot, I can tell youre using Windows 7 (I use it too) or I may be wrong (and you could be using Vista)
owenisred

Post by owenisred »

vista... dont make me laugh lol

yea im using win7 although im a linux guy too :)