Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Saving maps to server?

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
kristincronin
Name: Kristin

Saving maps to server?

Post by kristincronin »

I am a teacher with a classroom of 40 computer systems that utilize a server to save student work. When the students use sandbox we would like to save their personally created maps into their personal Z: drive, however, sandbox defaults to the FPS bin located in the C: drive. Can this be re-directed to the student Z: drive in my server?

I teach 11 - 12th grade students in Lodi, Ca. They are loving this program!

Thanks for any help,
:D Kristin
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Saving maps to server?

Post by Hirato »

This may prove difficult.

If their Z:/ home directories are synonymous with "my documents", you can probably modify the bats to something like -q%HOMEDIR%\sandbox
I'm not sure, so please do some research on BAT scripting and their environment variables.

On the other hand, if their Z drives aren't synonymous with "My Documents", it'll either require a unique bat for each and every user, unless there's an environment variable.
an example of this would be -qZ:\user\sandbox (modify to suit the layout of said Z: drive)
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
dhillis
Name: Daniel

Post by dhillis »

kristincronin. I am having the exact same problem right now. I have a thread in the sandbox chat subforum. Is the Z drive the same as their my documents or is it an open drive where they can create whatever they want on that server?
kristincronin

Post by kristincronin »

Hi,

The Z: drive is not the My Documents folder but a separate secure drive that they save into when saving any work. The Z: drive is located in my server that they log into when starting up their computer systems.
dhillis

Post by dhillis »

Are they allowed to open from and write to this drive? If so I think what Hirato said will work. I was able to save a file to a server and was able to open it again. I am going to work with the tech guy here on campus for a few days but with TAKS testing in TX it might take a few more days. I will be back soon.
dhillis

Post by dhillis »

I am really sorry to hijack your thread. I do have one more question that is relevant to this though. Is there a way to edit this BAT file in the installation file? Or how can I compile an installation file after I edited the bat file?
kristincronin

Post by kristincronin »

No worries, I am hopeful that Hirato can answer your question. ;-)
dhillis

Post by dhillis »

Here is what I have so far. When I edited the bat file I told the program to save to R:\Hillis\Sandbox\Maps. This works fine IF i double click the bat file to load the program, but doesn't work if I load the program from _sandboxlauncher. Confused. :x

I must have some files missing now from somewhere also because i am getting some errors now. Look at the attachment.
Attachments
Sandbox Errors2.docx
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Sandbox Errors.docx
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
dhillis

Post by dhillis »

I use dthe program today installed on the c:\ drive. As long as your tech dept will give you permissions to control the one folder that sandbox is installed to you shouldn't have any problems.

Edit the bat file like said before
here is what I changed mine to
R:\Hillis\Sandbox\Maps

I also had each kid make a folder inside the maps folder with the lastname,first name. Make sure they don't put any spaces. This will keep the student from having to sift through a bunch of maps to get to theirs.

It would end up like this
R:\Hillis\Sandbox\Maps\castillo,bobbie

or if you wanted to make folders for period to keep it a little more organized
R:\Hillis\Sandbox\Maps\1stperiod\castillo,bobbie

let me know if I can be of anymore help.
dhillis

Post by dhillis »

forgot to add. If you want to have each kid have a different folder you need to copy and paste the .bat file. Should now have a file that says "copy of click_me_to_start". Have kid replace "copy of" with their name. make a shortcut of this folder and drag it to the desktop. then edit the bat file with their name that is in C:\Program Files\PlatinumArtsSandbox2.6.1 to the above.