Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Is there a simple way to create a circular room?

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
paranhaslett
Name: Paran

Is there a simple way to create a circular room?

Post by paranhaslett »

One of the major limitations I have noticed is that it gets difficult to deal with angles that ar'nt 90 degrees very quickly.

Something to think about in future releases would be tools to carve out curves (similar to a lathe). Due to the limitations in the cube engine these would need to be made from grid sized 0 boxes that have the appropriate slopes on them to get as close as possible to some semblance of a curve.

Also some way of working out the trigonometry for a group of cubes so that an object can be placed on an angle that is not 90 degrees. I understand that this could be complex and changing the angle of an object back and forth could cause issues. This means that tools to do this would probably need to be restricted to people who know what they are doing.

The reasons I have raised these issues is because I am trying to create in sandbos something similar to library for a old fashioned house. This is with curved walls so a ladder on tracks can be used to reach books which are on the top shelf. Not only do I need to deal with curved walls but also with a number of rectangular bookshelves (to fit retangular books) which may be on different angles. At the moment I need to calculate curves and angles outside sandbox (a lot of calculations that it would be more sensible to get a computer to do).

Has anyone else had curve or angle issues in sandbox? Do you think it is something you want considered in further releases or are you prepared to live with it as a limitation? I am quite sure that finding an instinctive solution to this is going to be complex
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Is there a simple way to create a circular room?

Post by Hirato »

making curves aren't a problem, see http://www.quadropolis.us/node/2146 and http://www.quadropolis.us/node/2133 and http://www.quadropolis.us/node/2058
All creations with the cube 2 engine

from what I can gather from your shelves, you might want to consider making them (with books and all) inside a 3D modeler such as blender, as you're likely to end up with some issues otherwise.

and as a somewhat experienced user, I can tell you getting used to making things with deformed cubes are a bit frustrating at first, but you get used to it (and I've never really gotten very good at it )
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless