Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

3D Models Animation Preset

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
justanother1
Name: Joe

Re: 3D Models Animation Preset

Post by justanother1 »

Apparently I was wrong, Mr Beast, as to our conversation needing to be private, as I also wrote
but it was an A and B conversation. C your way OUT!
and yet another Retard posted another unwanted response.
I appologize ....
msg me ...
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

justanother1 wrote:...and to import a character model, one has to "replace the troll" ... what if I want 25 character models ?
If you want another playem model, all you have to do is program them in. You can add as many as you want with a little knowledge of C++
The file is src/fpsgame/render.cpp

That's where all of the characters are placed
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

When I took programming in '93 .. they called it Cobol ...., and I haven't authored a chunk of Code since 2000 ......, so no that's probably not gonna happen, but thanks anyway !!
Captain_Ahab
Name: Richard

Post by Captain_Ahab »

in the RPG game, the player model is set with cubescript ( unless I'm totally mistaken, which has happened before )
so, you'll need to do some scripting at least unless you go the simple route and just rename files to replace a model... but even then, you'll need to do some simple cubescript to carry animations and model information in.

just out of curiosity, why .md2 models?
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

not to interrupt you guys (sorry justanother1), just mentioning that like jsoft said, the playermodel list is in the render.cpp file. Now, to expand on what he said, the specific list is creating via a C++ array, meaning we can add as many player models as we want. An array is a series of values of any data type. They're pretty easy to use, as long as you understand what goes in the array. This is the specific code for the playermodel array:

Code: Select all

static const playermodelinfo playermodels[8] =
    {
        { "rc", "rc/blue", "rc/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "rc", "rc_blue", "rc_red", true, true },
        { "rc/blue", "rc/blue", "rc/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "rc_blue", "rc_blue", "rc_red", true, true },
        { "rc/red", "rc/blue", "rc/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "rc_red", "rc_blue", "rc_red", true, true },
        { "rc/pink", "rc/blue", "rc/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "rc_pink", "rc_blue", "rc_red", true, true },
        { "ogre", "ogre/blue", "ogre/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "ogre", "ogre", "ogre", false, true },
        { "ogre/blue", "ogre/blue", "ogre/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "ogre", "ogre", "ogre", false, true },
        { "ogre/red", "ogre/blue", "ogre/red", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "ogre", "ogre", "ogre", false, true },
        { "uh/chars/man", "uh/chars/man", "uh/chars/man", NULL, NULL, NULL, { NULL, NULL, NULL }, "uh/chars/man", "uh/chars/man", "uh/chars/man", false, true }
    };
for some more stuff on arrays: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/arrays/
personally, it'd be better if the playermodel list was a vector array, which could be expanded/reduced as needed. But alas, I believe that would likely require recompiling anyways. http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/vector/

as for the "fps without the s", Sandbox is meant to be kid-friendly. In other words, no violence or anything that would normally constitute an "M" rating on the engine or games made with the engine.
I do agree, the vehicle simulator could use work, but the fact that PAS has one is nice.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

Md2's because I'm using CharacterFX n Fragmotion for animation. Rigging in Blender 2.5x is easy enough, but animating in it is a nightmare.
CharacterFX, Fragmotion, and Pacemaker is what I've used before, they do great for directx (.x) files, but for PAS your stuck with Md2 export only. However, as far as I can tell, You can switch textures (armor), assign and use normal/bump maps all with your .cfg and gamescript, So the only problem I can see is that your stuck with the animations you make, because md2's save as vertex animation, there's no bones to control in the final product. This could be a problem trying to assign weapons to a hand, but weapons could be built into, and hidden in the character model, and just come out when used.
justanother1

Post by justanother1 »

As far as Gaming goes, I'm a Trackmaniac .... I didn't last a day before I uninstalled WOW, about the same with SL. I did finish Halo, and had a blast with UT2, but I mostly like the Drivers. I've imported tons of Trackmania Cars and started messing with Characters for 3DRad, but I've spent most of the last 6 months working on my modeling, learning to retopo and better topology techniques for animation, but the biggest improvement came this summer with the release of Sculptris A6, as they improved the importer so I can Paint on Quad meshes built in other apps.

As far as PAS goes, I love the editor. It's like the Techno-takehome version of the '70, afro haired, PBS painter guy with the "happy little flowers that live over here". It's great for building beautiful maps, easy enough to import models and textures into, but way to Script intensive as far as games to be anywhere near "kid friendly". When I saw PAS had a FPS mode I immediately dove into building, rigging, and animating a custom model just for this purpose (I spent Hours!), and then once I had it imported and working, I dug into the forums again looking for the controls, only to find out about the "kid friendly" - "no S" part.
" %#$&*%#&#@&$@ !!!"
Maybe you could think about Renaming it to "Tour Mode" in the launcher ?
It's false advertising. FPS stands for "First Person Shooter", a well established standard game format with a 30+ year history back to the 2D stand-up arcade consoles of the '80s, and "Shooter" implies a GUN. Your forum here has a sticky legal thread right at the top. You should change this before someone else wastes their time!
Last edited by justanother1 on October 26th, 2011, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

we'll get around to doing water wars...
eventually....
when we have squirt guns...
and super soakers....
and water balloons....
and assorted other stuff...
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@justanother1: if you're looking for an fps maker, check out Sauerbraten. you can import PAS maps, but would have to retexture. Maybe.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Captain_Ahab
Name: Richard

Post by Captain_Ahab »

gee.. I don't think blender is that bad for animation. It's more capable than I am at using it, with sculpting and mesh painting, etc.
But people should use the tools they are most comfortable with.
I just question the use of a nearly 15 yr old format when more modern formats are available; fragmotion claims to import/export .smd, which any of the cube2 engines support.

its all about choosing the right tools for the job, I guess. Clearly sandbox seems to be the wrong tool choice for you. A bit of research could have told you that, as PAS is well-known for filling the child-friendly, ease-of-use niche. It has won awards for doing just so.
I would think that Sauerbraten or Red Eclipse would be more to your liking. Because they are using the same underlying software, anything made for PAS that you've done, would be easily placed into those games, and they are unapologetically FPS's, but with the same editing ease as PAS for map-making.

btw, PAS is not script intensive when compared to more complete game engines such as panda3d or delta3d. But then again, it was made to cater to a younger, gentler audience. That audience is more interested in creating worlds to share and explore with friends.
Hmmm, maybe the older, more experienced sandboxers should consider it their duty to help them feel the same sense of wonder and exploration as we felt when we player Zork for the first time. Yes, thats nicer to an Ancient, such as myself, than any ego-shooter can be.