Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

sunlight

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Captain_Ahab
Name: Richard

sunlight

Post by Captain_Ahab »

I found a couple of interesting things while poking around the src.

sunlight R B G to set the color of the sunlight, much like settling the color of the skylight.
sunlightscale 0, 1, 16 is a multiplier of the color values... I don't see much point in changing this from the default value of '1'. Maybe there might be a couple of lighting effects that can use this.
sunlightyaw 0, 0, 360 to set the location of the sun light-source's position in degrees on a compass. I'm assuming '0' and '360' are "north"
sunlightpitch -90, 90, 90 to set the angle of the sun light-source with respect to the horizon.

This just seems like a nice way to set the position of the sun, rather than fiddling with the placement of a light entity within the cube volume.

Of course, sunlightpitch and sunlightyaw set the direction of the sun in a vector sunlightdir.
It might be neat to set a script to increase glare* as the player's line-of-sight direction gets closer and closer to the sunlightdir... then decrease the amount of glare more slowly over time as eyes adjust again; nothing like looking directly at the sun to screw up your eyesight.

For sunlightscale, sunlightyaw and sunlightpitch, the 3 numbers shown are the minimum, default and maximum values allowed.

* it looks like there are a number of variables for playing with glare, too
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Re: sunlight

Post by java.x.beast »

Thanks! I really needed a way to change the color of the sky to mysterious/dark red. It's going to look SICK! This was really helpful. I like the way you post about anything you find that would be helpful to a lot of Sandboxers ( everybody :D ). If you continue doing this, you'll be recognized and given an award for "Most Helpful Sandboxer That's Not On The Support Team Already" otherwise known as the "MHSTNOTSTA" Award! Really though, on behalf of the whole Sandbox community ( I hope they agree with me ), I would like to thank you, and wildflower (for her very helpful 2.7 RPG Scripting Tutorial :D ). Thanks, so much, you're very kind. (Last sentence was from the "Cat in the Hat" T.V. show :D 8-) :D 8-) :D )

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

Just to add to the sunlight thing, there is a helpful little alias called "getsundir" that will automatically set the yaw and pitch for sunlight based on where you're looking.
In other words, look directly at the sun, execute the alias and the sun will come from there! hooray.
If you continue doing this, you'll be recognized and given an award for "Most Helpful Sandboxer That's Not On The Support Team Already" ...
Don't be silly, he's on the actual team, at least he was before he took a hiatus.
Speaking of which...
RICHARD! Y U NO IRC!
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Hirato wrote:Don't be silly, he's on the actual team, at least he was before he took a hiatus.
do you plan on restoring his position, or no?

also, is the sunlight command a new feature for 2.7, or is it an SVN thing now? just quickly wondering
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!