Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

RPG base CFG calling incorrect script data?

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Tony
Name: Tony

RPG base CFG calling incorrect script data?

Post by Tony »

I followed the tutorial to the letter:
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... G_tutorial

I mean, it is a step-by-step copy/paste tutorial, how can you go wrong,right?

Anyway, here is what I am experiencing:

Instead of an NPC named Bob, I have Reynaldo Baker wanting some Apples.
Instead of a Knife, a Hammer, and Papyrus, I get a mechanical monkey-dog, an Apple,and a Pie.
And, instead of a trigger, I get a large brown door, which will take me straightaway to a Tower.
And nothing goes into my inventory when picked up... nothing that I can see or use anyway.

So, the tutorial looks simple enough, but it seems like the tutorial.cfg is calling up scripts from some other folder. The map is saved fine, and I can load it every time, and the items described are there... but Reynaldo, a Pie, and an Apple are not exactly what I am looking for, and I certainly do not wish to visit a tower from some other map.

This is on Windows Vista.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I looked for the entities and scripts that I was having show up in my game, and they reside in a folder named, "default".
I renamed that folder, to preserve it intact, and then renamed MY game folder to "default"... and voila, I have what I want in my game now.

But this is not really a fix, I still need to figure why the "tutorial.cfg" for my game is reverting back to the "default" folder.
The other games within the RPG folder seem to function properly.

Anyway, anyone that has experienced this issue or may have a suggestion, feel free to speak right on up.

Thanks,
- Tony
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
kid matthew
Developer
Developer
Name: Matthew
IRC Username: Kid_matthew

Re: RPG base CFG calling incorrect script data?

Post by kid matthew »

You need to load your RPG game via load map, load game, Your game

Then type /r_rehash
Rehash reloads all of your scripts.

Cheers,
Matthew
Lost Lands Work In Progress <3 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2522 <3
Tony

Post by Tony »

/r_rehash

...produces the result:

Reloading configuration files in data/rpg/games/default

...which at least confirms my findings that the script files are being loaded from the folder "default".

I can work with this, and it would be OK for exporting a standalone game application when complete. But it means having to switch out folder names if I want to work with more than one custom map.

I may have some silly questions as I get into this thing, but once I am up to speed I'll be able to contribute to the community. First though, I need to have an understanding of the software, scripting, and get it working right for me. Any help to get to that point will be greatly appreciated.
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

you're supposed to start a newgame (loadmap --> tutorial (silly I know), or /newgame tutorial)
"default" is the fallback when no game is chosen or you dive directly into the map

EDIT r_rehash just reloads the game's data, as if you just loaded from a savegame
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Tony

Post by Tony »

Very nice,OK, now that works. Thank you Hirato.

Not very intuitive or self-explanatory, I suppose for a packaged product all of these sorts of things will be hard-coded for the end-user.

It seems that I have found this project closer to the ground floor than I first imagined.

Are you the sole developer working on coding this software Hirato?
I see lots of posts about contributors of models and textures, but I see no other coders posting updates and solving issues within the software?

Thanks again, I shall surely be asking more noobicidal questions until I learn all of the little ins-and-outs of getting through this thing.
- Tony
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

Tony wrote:Not very intuitive or self-explanatory, I suppose for a packaged product all of these sorts of things will be hard-coded for the end-user.
Not necessarily, you'll find commercial products will have more hardcoded items, but I raise Arcanum and Neverwinter Nights as counter examples. They allow additional games or stories to be played out via "modules".
Personally I do not feel as though the process we have is particularly unintuitive, the cfgs in data/rpg/games defines the available games - the tutorial being among them
Are you the sole developer working on coding this software Hirato?
I see lots of posts about contributors of models and textures, but I see no other coders posting updates and solving issues within the software?
Quite unfortunate really.
Cube's style is rather unorthodox and we don't have a clear design document lying about something (we have todo lists though) and the documentation is admittedly rather poor, so I don't blame people for wanting to join up.
With that said, "Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker" isn't exactly a title that's going to attract competent C/C++ developers (if any at all)
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thank you Hirato for the input and information.
While not overly encouraging, I hope this is a solid project that will see continued development. It's a beautiful opportunity and software.
I'll leave you to your duties, you seem to have your plate plenty full.
I'll try not to trouble you unnecessarily as I get up to speed on this.

Cheers all,
- Tony