Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Where do I learn how to program for PAS

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
lzilberm
Name: lee
IRC Username: zilber

Where do I learn how to program for PAS

Post by lzilberm »

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering how and where people learn how people learn how program in platinum arts sandbox. How long does it take to learn and how do I become a pro?

Cheers,
lzilberm
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Re: Where do I learn how to program for PAS

Post by java.x.beast »

Doesn't take long to learn the basics, but takes a long while to become a master at it. I am currently working on an FPS+CubeScript tutorial series(which is taking forever to upload to youtube). It is a notepad tutorial, mind you. I lost my headset a while back and still haven't found it. I WAS working on an RPGScript tutorial but canceled it due to the fact that 2.7(latest release, if I'm not mistaken) is going to be replaced soon by 2.7.1, which will have several major changes. Once 2.7.1 is released, I'll resume work on the RPGScript tutorials and start from scratch with the new API. If you're interested, I'll link you to my videos when I've finished them. Until then, the amazing Wiki is how I learned. Hirato is a genius with the way he explained the RPG scripting. Credits also given to Chocolatepie33 for the incredible shop script tutorial which helped me learn the basics of FPS scripting.

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
Sircameron
Name: Cameron

Post by Sircameron »

Id have to agree with java.. The basics are easy to learn once you figure out how/why they work.. Check out the games that come with the RPG mode to get a better undestanding (thats how i learned a lot).. The wiki is golden! And the cubescript references are great for learning as well..
It just takes effort and patience.. Lots of patience especially if you're a complete newbie.. More info will be ready, and available once the rpg mode goes beta.. Im all RPG mode all the time so when i get this all down, all of my scripts will be donated to help others learn.. Just dont give up, and im sure you'll do great
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

The best way to understand Cubescript (the FPS programming language and also the menu programming language) would be to take a look at the basics of C++, as they're quite similar. I believe Hirato (or maybe Offtools) mentioned LISP being a more similar language, but I don't know about that.

As for the RPG mode, the wiki has tutorials, and you can pick apart the scripts of the RPG games already included.

From what I know, SSP and KRS don't have scripting.

@java: 2.7.1 has been out, hope you know.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Post by java.x.beast »

@CP: Just realized that yesterday. I was too caught up in my other projects using Game Maker that I forgot to check up on PAS. :(
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!