Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Question About Sandbox--

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
LeafClaw

Question About Sandbox--

Post by LeafClaw »

Hi! :D I've just recently upgraded from mac 10.3.9 to mac 10.6.2 (recently as in last night) and I need to re download PAS. Is there a newer version that doesn't need to be compiled?

Thanks!

~leafclaw
:3 Hallo thar!
My warriors game: 0% progress so far.. . D:
LeafClaw

Re: Question About Sandbox--

Post by LeafClaw »

Bump ety bump. :|
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

Sadly, there is no compiled version for Max OS X 10.6.2 (that I know of). I would recommend downloading the Subversion release and compiling it with xcode
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
LeafClaw

Post by LeafClaw »

Okay :3. Is there a good compiling tutorial for sandbox? (I'm assuming there isn't, but always good to ask.)
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
LeafClaw

Post by LeafClaw »

Grrr-- I don't have Xcode and you have to pay $104 dollars for the one I need now! Is there a different compiler that is safe for my computer? (my dad doesn't want me downloading a whole lot of stuff, since my computer is relatively new and all that. )
LeafClaw

Post by LeafClaw »

Wait-- (sorry for the double post) my dad says that he doesn't want to download sandbox and put it together if people who are trained in the game making industry can't compile the binaries before they release it. He thinks that since the sandbox creators are trained, and we aren't, we shouldn't mess with the computer like that since they didn't make a mac version to begin with. So unless there's another solution, (which I'm assuming there isn't :( ) I'll have to retire my game making wishes until further notice. :( (Is there anything I can do?)
kid matthew
Developer
Developer
Name: Matthew
IRC Username: Kid_matthew

Post by kid matthew »

LeafClaw Never give up your dreams.
Also most of us don't run Mac. A lot of people run it on windows, or Linux.
If you can't get a hold of Xcode try getting BootCamp for Your Mac. It allows u try run Windows and Mac on the same computer. Its really simple.
Sorry I can't help you that much because I've never used a mac. = p
Also Sandbox is a great way to get used to game development. I have created ton's of stuff in sandbox.
http://alternativeto.net/software/xcode/

Cheers,
Matthew
Lost Lands Work In Progress <3 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2522 <3
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

I really have no advice to proffer apart from, "don't buy mac" :P

We're not trained, nor are we professionals, and we're most certainly not part of the games industry; This is just a hobby project for both me and mike.
We know the mac version needs a lot of love, we know it'll work if teased a bit- but we also know that's beyond the skill level of a lot of our users.
The fact of the matter is, neither I nor anyone else on the development team have a mac or know anything about building and packaging things on there, and that probably won't change without a $2000 investment none of us can afford, let alone care to.

Let's see... your options are basically as follows...
1. Give up
2. Compile a mac binary for the desired game module.
3. Use wine (there's a commercial variant called crossover) to run the Windows version on your system, there's some overhead but it works really well.
4. Install a Linux distribution such as Debian or Ubuntu inside a virtual machine (macs come with parallels) and run sandbox through there
5. Install another operating system (like Linux obviously) and run their respective native version, macs apparently have something called "bootcamp," so look into that.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

None of us have macs so it doesn't matter how trained we are, we can't compile the mac binary since we don't have the software but we certainly have things set where can people can do it on their own. Also Mac is the one who makes it much harder to compile than it is for Windows and Linux. All of that is actually a factor too when making games because generally you want to aim for the platforms with the most users so that's why almost all games have at least a Windows release and MAYBE a linux and mac release. You can still make games using other software (I have no idea what is available for mac), use an earlier version of sandbox if you can get it to work, work on game design documents, and also work on physical prototypes and/or even physical games themselves. One of my Game Design college students actually made a pretty cool game combining nerf guns with a board game where if you hit a target with the nerf gun signaled a hit, or critical hit. You're only limited by your own imagination! Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!